old cpu cooler vs new cpu cooler vs closed-loop

LogicalDrm

I have been wondering this for a while. I'm doing cpu-mb-ram update in near future. My planned cpu is i5 3570K or anything better in same price range (~200€). I will be doing some minor overclocking, but not anything really extreme. My usage will be games mainly. I got Q6600 stock clocks atm (mb doesn't support ocs :() So to the problem.

Which is best solution in your opinion and I want comments with arguments:

I got Noctua NH-U9B fir LGA775. I could use it to cool new cpu. But it's noisy and not so cool. Cost of ofgrade for LGA1155, 0-5€.

I could get new air cooler like CM 212 Evo or 612. Or any other under 60€.

I could get some 120mm rad closed-loop cooler like H80i. Not H100i or any 2x120mm. They don't fit into my case.

So question is which option is best, I'm can't think any reason paying over 60€ for air cooler. Or over 85€ for closed-loop. Unless I can fit 2x140mm to my case. Not sure of that yet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You'll get better results the more you pay for a cooler. I think one of the one with the best price to performance is the NZXT Havik 140. If you really aren't going to overclock much, go with a hyper 212 or one of the other small single tower heatsinks.

Unless you have space restrictions, there is really no reason to go with any single 120mm fan closed loop cooler; the air coolers tend to do better. The H100i does perform somewhat better than all of the tower air coolers out there, except possibly the upcoming Alpenfohn everest.

There are also issues with water coolers leaking and having their pumps die. leakage is rare, but pumps do die relatively often, so watch out.

Honestly, a good air cooler will perform as well as any/most 120mm/140mm all-in-one solutions. So, save some money and go air cooling. The CM Hyper series are pretty good. The Noctua NH-D14 are awesome and will even match the H100. Unless you are going to do some very high end overclocking and going with the 280mm, don't bother with the 120mm solutions...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

From what I've heard, Havik is quite noisy. I would pick Thermalright HR-02 Macho. I was choosing my cooler for a long time, asked myself the same questions you are asking us and I've read this review:

http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/cooling/thermalright-macho-rev-a-bw-cpu-cooler-review/

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Just wondering, how can the stock Noctua fans be loud?

Noctua fans aren't loud, but they can get louder than they need to be at higher RPM's. Just use the low-noise adapter and you'll still have good airflow and cooling.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

when theres one small 92mm. It isn't really loud but atm it makes most noise in idle.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

From what I've heard, Havik is quite noisy. I would pick Thermalright HR-02 Macho. I was choosing my cooler for a long time, asked myself the same questions you are asking us and I've read this review:

http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/cooling/thermalright-macho-rev-a-bw-cpu-cooler-review/

That looked pretty good. I like that I don't have to go for low profile ram just because of cpu cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Have you considered replacing the fan with better and newer noctua fans?

Get a 412S It's just a freaking beast for the price and it's quite too

Interested in Business and Technology

In the review I posted of Macho there is also 412S. It's the third loudest one...

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

ok, so I need an air cooler that works with non-low profile ram but still performs at a good value. (I looked at the

) and was wondering if it's really worth the 80 dollars that I would be paying for it? (vs. the stock cooler vs. a cheaper aftermarket air cooler)

Ok, So single 120mm closed-loop ain't worth extra maybe 30-50€. Just checked price range of some air and closed-loop that I could consider. Closed-loop are 100-115€, air coolers 50-75€. I think as fas as air coolers go price range between my country and US is same. Silverstones HE01 (from Panda Bruvs link) costs 75€ which is around $80. Thanks for you advices. I'll be keeping eye on prices if they drop around my upgrading time.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv