Why are PC games so poorly optimized?

OriginalPromise

COD Black Ops 2 runs with a modified engine from WaW. I can max WaW at full settings, but why do I stutter at BO2? Consoles with half the power as my PC run much smoother while it runs like shit on my computer.

My FPS fluctuates between 30 and 60 and it's driving me crazy. 

Do consoles bring in more money so they care about those portions with more care, or is Treyarch just a failure?

Also, games like Minecraft and GTA IV is known to be shit when it comes to optimization.

Why can't all games be like Dark Souls where the game is optimized in a professional manner?

I got hooked to the CoD series just this month and BO2 is a huge disappointment.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

BO2 is widely regarded as being well PC optimized and running very well in most cases.

Do consoles bring in more money so they care about those portions with more care

This is often true among ports of console games. :(

-snip-

Minecraft poorly optimized for PC? It was on PC first.

Just because it was on PC first, doesn't mean it isn't poorly optimized.  In fact, I'd say MC is less optimized than GTA IV

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Well, some game developers produce triple a games on the pc to be played on other platforms. I guess the marketing focus of choosing a wider and more budget oriented platform will display profits in the correct context. Like the Ubisoft fiasco which abruptly exploded in the pc gaming community, I think that after looking at their point of view, an equal visual graphical performance level is better than a product one a lower priced machine to run completely worse then another.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Are you referring to your 3770T and 7850M?

Also darksouls? Optimized well? Wat?

Minecraft poorly optimized for PC? It was on PC first.

I'll say that my 7850M is able to handle BO2 with relative ease. If consoles can handle these games pretty smoothly with less power, so can my PC. 

Dark Souls 2 runs very smooth on both my computers and from what I've read from reviews, it does have pretty decent optimization.

Optifine is a must in order to take advantage of multiple cores. Couldn't Mojang do better in this portion? I can handle Minecraft with relative ease, but I'm just wishing that all games worth as smooth as they work on consoles out of the box.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Dark Souls is widely panned for the little to no effort they put into the PC port. Dark Souls 2 was a little more effort but not really that much. Keep in mind just because a game runs smoothly doesn't mean it's well optimized. As far as Minecraft goes, it wasn't made on an engine it was built and compiled from scratch. Being an independent developer, Mojang doesn't have the team to dedicate to optimization which is a difficult process. I have never played any of the Call of Duty games on PC so I can't comment on that.

Only some games are poorly optimized and they're usually games that were thought for console and then ported in a rush just to squeeze some money off of pc gamers too. BO2, as all other cod games for that matter, runs on an engine that dates waaaaay earlier than waw: id tech 3, the quake 3 engine, dated 1999. They give the illusion of improvements to the casual eye by modeling the weapons like maniacs. Please stop giving them your money :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'll say that my 7850M is able to handle BO2 with relative ease. If consoles can handle these games pretty smoothly with less power, so can my PC. 

Dark Souls 2 runs very smooth on both my computers and from what I've read from reviews, it does have pretty decent optimization.

Optifine is a must in order to take advantage of multiple cores. Couldn't Mojang do better in this portion? I can handle Minecraft with relative ease, but I'm just wishing that all games worth as smooth as they work on consoles out of the box.

This is more of a port problem than an optimization problem, but it was (initially) locked at 30 FPS on PC at 1024x768. Modding could fix it and they released a patch/ But still.

Anything can run minecraft. I run it on pentium 4 with a 9800 gt. I guess it isn't optimized horribly well, but it doesn't take much to run.

Also a PS4's GPU is similar to a 7850. Non-(M). And they run at 720p instead of 1080p. So they will likely get better framerates in games than a 7850M at 1080p.

Well It's really Easy to optimize for console. They all have the same hardware.

I'm not sure about minecraft but Java might have something to do with it.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

even MC runs great on intel hd 3000 so it is well optimized in most cases!  :)

optimizing a game for a console = optimizing it for 1 piece of hardware

optimizing a game for a computer = optimizing it for thousands of hardware combinations from tens of manifacturers, with different specs and capabilities and several operating systems as well as installed software

the former is easier, the latter takes more time and you can also be pretty sure that the #pcgamingmasterrace will find a reason to shit on your game anyway

Do you really think that Dark Souls is well optimized. It runs like shit for everyone. Many people consider that game unplayable without DSFix and the mouse fix for it. Dark Souls 2 is better tho.

I think most people have been watching too much LTT and TEK videos, plus all the forum talk,  they have lost sight of reality in their own gaming pc.  it wasn't that long ago that with the most accessible hardware the average frame rate was between 30 and 60 in latest titles.  Pc's are better than consoles, but the jump isn't light years and the end result should not be expected to be double fps @ max settings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

COD Black Ops 2 runs with a modified engine from WaW. I can max WaW at full settings, but why do I stutter at BO2? Consoles with half the power as my PC run much smoother while it runs like shit on my computer.

My FPS fluctuates between 30 and 60 and it's driving me crazy. 

Do consoles bring in more money so they care about those portions with more care, or is Treyarch just a failure?

Also, games like Minecraft and GTA IV is known to be shit when it comes to optimization.

Why can't all games be like Dark Souls where the game is optimized in a professional manner?

I got hooked to the CoD series just this month and BO2 is a huge disappointment.

what are you specs? Black ops 2 runs really well actually, at least in comparison it other cods (ghosts)

el psy congroo

I think most people have been watching too much LTT and TEK videos

never have too much LTT or TEK videos i think you sir are plotting a conspiracy " *interrogation voice*are you plotting against the pcmasterrace? hmmm where were you friday

night at 6:43 pm" ok enough monkey business and as for optimized minecraft  because out of the titles mentioned above tis the only one i've played but i play modded minecraft so it is

much more difficult for my current laptop to handle often time having to reduce settings to a minimum to achieve a solid 30 fps but vanilla on the other hand no problem playing that easy 60 fps on normal

never have too much LTT or TEK videos i think you sir are plotting a conspiracy " *interrogation voice*are you plotting against the pcmasterrace? hmmm where were you friday

night at 6:43 pm" ok enough monkey business and as for optimized minecraft  because out of the titles mentioned above tis the only one i've played but i play modded minecraft so it is

much more difficult for my current laptop to handle often time having to reduce settings to a minimum to achieve a solid 30 fps but vanilla on the other hand no problem playing that easy 60 fps on normal

Your right,  you can't watch too much LTT or the TEK, but we do need to keep things in perspective.   But I do stand by that the whole enthusiasts group think tends to get like a dog with a bone on some topics.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But I do stand by that the whole enthusiasts group think tends to get like a dog with a bone on some topics.

i think i can sum up what you said in one word....fanboyism

Because consoles exist.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.