My laptop right now, and my tech luck lately

Syntaxvgm

b6bd38cc-b15e-4d8d-bc1c-e83aae4209e0.jpg
So long story short, I have a GPU problem. Both cards and slots work, I think It's the crossfire cable, but I'm not 100% just yet. 
Here's the topic I posted on thenotebookreview if you have a dual GPU laptop and think you can help 
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-18-m18x/757537-m18x-r1-hardware-problem-xfire-bridge.html#post9722884

So I'm actaully a laptop/portable devices guy. An expert really. And formerly an IT guy. And before you discount that for me buying an alienware I got this used. I'm a really careful user and never break crap. Haven't for years. (That's right, not even those shitty ribbon cable connectors toshiba made out of best wishes and not real plastic) But this week I broke and HDMI jack by getting the cord caught on a different desk than the one in the picture. I did fix it. I snapped the jack off from my favorite headphones. In the same desk. I plan to fix those at some point. 

AND JUST NOW WHILE POSTING THAT THREAD ON THE NOTEBOOK REVIEW I OPENED A FROZEN BOTTLE OF WATER AND IT EXPLODED OVER THE LAPTOP I'M USING RIGHT NOW! Thankfully it's a latitude E series and I'm pretty sure it'll work while on fire. 
What's wrong with me? AM I loosing my tech mojo?

EDIT

Back together with 1 gpu. 

c9e2e7b6-fae9-489a-83b6-217e63851129.jpg

Damn my phone camera sucks. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

oh boy, what happened to that laptop..thats not even a laptop anymore its like a metal thing with stuff on it lol

It actually works but with only one of the cards, so I'm keeping it apart until I can be certain it's the xfire cable. Hence the wireless keyboard. PArts are all over the place. Should deal with that so I can go to bed at some point. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It actually works but with only one of the cards, so I'm keeping it apart until I can be certain it's the xfire cable. Hence the wireless keyboard. 

i see, well good luck fixing it man :P

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

i see, well good luck fixing it man :P

yah no shit thanks man. so hope its the xifre cable. 

muh specs 

All parts black

It actually works but with only one of the cards, so I'm keeping it apart until I can be certain it's the xfire cable. Hence the wireless keyboard. PArts are all over the place. Should deal with that so I can go to bed at some point. 

I hope you can fix it :(

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's the most ghetto laptop I've ever seen, congrats I guess.

That looks badass. I would be so proud to be computing like that. ghetto is the best.

Hopefully you will fix it soon! Good luck ;)

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

That's actually pretty impressive. Must be a bit louder though? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

That's actually pretty impressive. Must be a bit louder though? 

one of the 3 fans is unplugged, so probably not. Although I tried to turn it on without the screen panel plugged into a monitor, as this is one of those laptops that you have tot take it off to get to anything, and it turns out it'll run a post code without it. You also need the battery in. So with the super load speakers (now unplugged) at 3 in the morning I think I woke the whole street up while I struggled to get that battery out. 

And thanks for everyone's best wishes. 

muh specs 

All parts black

one of the 3 fans is unplugged, so probably not. Although I tried to turn it on without the screen panel plugged into a monitor, as this is one of those laptops that you have tot take it off to get to anything, and it turns out it'll run a post code without it. You also need the battery in. So with the super load speakers (now unplugged) at 3 in the morning I think I woke the whole street up while I struggled to get that battery out. 

And thanks for everyone's best wishes. 

And they were outside your home with torches and pitchforks? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I know your struggle OP

I just broke a monitor that I wouldn't have if i hadn't stopped fucking with it, but I decided to have another go at fixing a shorted controller board for the monitor and when It kept fucking up I had a bitch fit and snapped the controller board.

Damn monitor shorted the board and it works, but it's stuck on a bad color mod and It looks funny now next to the IPS monitor it's paired with for Eyefinity.

If I could step outside of my body and slap the shit out of me I so would.

I have to buy a new monitor now.

Luckly it's a cheap 110$ but still I need to grab another monitor as well and I didn't plan on having to replace the other one. FML

Mabe try getting some replacement GPUs off of ebay? maybe a pair of 580s? to see if the cable works on those?(notsure if the sli/cfx cable is the same thing on those laptops?) Or just a new CFX cable? I don't know how those laptops work... but I imagine they are logically put together...

Since it's an Alienware, he will need the Alienware/Dell production video cards. the MXM cards are bios signed and they refuse to work outside of the platforms they are assigned too.

A Clevo 7970M will not work in an Alienware and vice versa.

It's a quirk of mobile hardware.

And Alienware hardware holds it's value for a LONG time, and because alienware is so hated the dont get purchased enough to make the parts viable in the used market, so it's probably going to be very expensive and very hard to find any Alienware MXM mobile GPUs

Good luck with it. I hope you can get it fixed back up. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If I'm understanding you correctly, he wouldn't be able to take this 580 and put it in his laptop and have it work because it was assigned to a different chipset? And even if he updated the BIOS on his motherboard?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-M18X-M17x-M15x-Nvidia-Geforce-GTX580M-Laptop-Video-Card-3MF8R-/321452245600?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4ad80c0260

This is an Alienware card, it will work in an Alienware laptop. It wont work in a CLEVO or MSI laptop because its specifically designed and bios paired to the Alienware systems.

I like your signature.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Is there a "standard" for mobile GPUs? I know that the toshiba satellite series(some of them) and the Alienware M15X - M18X were the only laptops that had swappable GPUs and they had different connectors on them. I know that the different GPUs within the Alienware lineup could be swapped and the same for certain Toshibas.

yes. Not all GPUs from clevos can't be put in alienwares. But some can't. Some are literally shaped differently. Not to mention on the ones that are inter-compatible, which would be ones like the 880m I believe, you have to flash the GPU, and to top it off the coolers are usually proprietary to the laptop. 

Thing is Alienware card or not, MXM GPUs are super expensive. The pair of old 6970ms I have are 250-350$ a piece still. 580ms are around there too. So if I spend the money, which I don't have at the moment, I'd rather just upgrade to 880ms or something, which will cost in excess of 800$ a piece. Ouch. 

Also, the crossfire cable is different than the SLI cable. 

I have tested both of my GPUs in both slots. Both GPUs work in both slots. Just not together. It'll go past bios, and crash while loading the OS.  

So either I have a broken xfire cable, or something is wrong with the motherboard. 

To determine that, I need to know if the result I'm getting would happen in a working laptop if you pull out the cable, or like a desktop should boot, and just not be able to crossfire. 

If it is the motherboard, which hopefully and probably not, I will probably use this one one GPU for a while more than sell it. I can probably still get what I paid for it.

At that point I'd buy a regular laptop and build a new desktop 

muh specs 

All parts black

I know your struggle OP

I just broke a monitor that I wouldn't have if i hadn't stopped fucking with it, but I decided to have another go at fixing a shorted controller board for the monitor and when It kept fucking up I had a bitch fit and snapped the controller board.

Damn monitor shorted the board and it works, but it's stuck on a bad color mod and It looks funny now next to the IPS monitor it's paired with for Eyefinity.

If I could step outside of my body and slap the shit out of me I so would.

I have to buy a new monitor now.

Luckly it's a cheap 110$ but still I need to grab another monitor as well and I didn't plan on having to replace the other one. FML

Wow. Well at least it wasn't like a really nice monitor. I need new monitors at the moment...ugh. My favorite one is starting to flicker. I really want that 21:9 1440p LG one. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Is there a "standard" for mobile GPUs? I know that the toshiba satellite series(some of them) and the Alienware M15X - M18X were the only laptops that had swappable GPUs and they had different connectors on them. I know that the different GPUs within the Alienware lineup could be swapped and the same for certain Toshibas.

Yes sort of. 

The cards that are in dedicated fullsized gaming laptops use a PCIE graphics interface called MXM

MXM is the connectivity standard for  dedicated graphics in swappable systems. It's the smaller less than 15 inch laptops that have issues with size and cant use the MXM slots.

What is is is that the BIOS signage between the OEMs don't talk to one another and allow compatable interface on certain graphics cards and motherboards.

I'm not sure of all the details buit that's the reason you cant use a CLEVO card inside of a Dell/ALienware/Compal product.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. That is something that I have never fully understood, but now I do. Thanks for filling me in. :)

Basically to use them they have to have the right vbios. Thankfully with an unlocked bios you can flash it yourself. This restriction allowing only supported cards and not directly selling mxm cards is why despite being upgradeable laptops still really don't have a long life in terms of keeping up with gpu power. The bright side is alienware seems to be pretty good about allowing new cards in old laptops. 

muh specs 

All parts black

well, damn, Hope you can get that fixed. I used to have allot of laptop troubles, specifically with Toshiba's. On all three i have owned the power plug broke from the pcb. My current laptop is an asus laptop that i have had for 3 years. Really not a fan of Toshiba build quality

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I think that this is a very redeeming quality about Alienware. However I personally wouldn't be able to use one for my main laptop just due to the sheer thickness and weight of them. Which is very unfortunate because I do like the design of them (not necessarily the aesthetics, but the design.) The only other problem is the price to performance, but that's a given. And Dell does know what their doing when it comes to business and server engineering, so Alienware wouldn't be a contrary to that. And from that picture you posted, it seems that they know how to make a proper heatsink.

Yes it stays very cool, even with an overclock. I'm actually surprised at the build quality of this thing. It was very time consuming to tear apart, yes, but nothing felt cheap like it would break, otherwise known as the "toshiba factor". I do hear a lot of people have trouble with their customer service/ warranty repairs. So if you have a problem laptops, they'll replace every damn part before giving you a new laptop it seems. I manage this laptops fine for it's size, but I'm 6'2". People with smaller laps this thing wants to fall forward. It's perfect for me, I can fit a whole mouse pad on the keyboard and game on my lap. And on the integrated GPU, the battery life is actually pretty good. 

well, damn, Hope you can get that fixed. I used to have allot of laptop troubles, specifically with Toshiba's. On all three i have owned the power plug broke from the pcb. My current laptop is an asus laptop that i have had for 3 years. Really not a fan of Toshiba build quality

Hah funny you mention that. Just called bad build quality the "Toshiba factor". I used to fix laptops as a job. Toshiba ribbon cable connectors always snapped, and the clamps never even stay on the connector, leading to frustrating times with tweezers. I 100% agree about toshiba build quality, it is by far the worst. 

muh specs 

All parts black

c9e2e7b6-fae9-489a-83b6-217e63851129.jpg

Well it's back together. It has 1 gpu in it. I'm beginning to think this is a deeper issue than just the cable. Oh well it'll work for now. Just 1 6970m for gaming -.-

muh specs 

All parts black