Best Coolant for EK Nickel blocks?

I've read that Silver + Distilled will cause galvanic corrosion with any type of nickel block (Koolance, old EK and new EK), so that's out of the question.

I will be using:

• Copper/Brass Rads (XSPC RX360 V3)
  • Primoflex LRT Advanced Tubing 3/8
  • Black Bitspower Compression Fittings
  • EK Nickel Blocks (What are the advantages / disadvantages of using copper vs nickel?)

I just want to know what people are using, I've come up with the following possibilities:

1. Distilled + Copper Sulphate (Mayhems Biocide / PT Nuke)
  2. Distilled + PT Nuke PHN (I can't seem to find this in Australia though)
  3. EK Ekoolant Clear (I don't want the hassle of color)
  4. Mayhems X1 Clear Premix coolant
  5. Mayhems XT-1
  6. Anything else? (Feser anti corrosive + distilled?)

EK have published a number of articles about coolant, but notably unlike Koolance they don't have a warranty term that prohibits other coolants:

What are you running in your loop, and has anyone had any problems?

To be honest, if you want to be safe, use EK's own coolant. 

Almost all of Mayhems' coolants will be fine though. EK used to have a big issue with corrosion, but they fixed it a while back. 

If you want a certain color, use mayhem's concentrates, I've had nothing but good experience with them.

I switched over to EK coolant once, messed up all kinds of things, not sure why.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

That's good to hear about EK fixing their plating issues. 

Does distilled give better temps than clear coolant?

I'm definitely going to follow Linus's advice and avoid colors and stick with colored tubing with clear liquid.

I guess the safest option is either Ekoolant clear or Mayhems X1 clear, the biggest problem being cost.

How much coolant does a normal loop need? I think Linus used 2L on the overkill build.

My loop will have two 360s, one 240 and possibly a 140, with a 150mm tube res. 

2L of coolant is $40 though, vs $2 for 2L of distilled (plus say $10 for biocide, for many, many litres)

@kd1011

welcome the Linus Tech Tips forums!

since it is the first wc build, i'd suggest distilled till you get the build finalized and

then prepare for either color coolant, color tubing or leave the distilled and roll

with that. things about water cooling is that thoughts changes, budget changes,

parts change, etc.. and all that expensive coolant gets wasted.

Thanks Airdeano!

Here's my build as it is right now (aiming for a September-December timeframe / whenever the GTX 880s come out / saving up for it)

NB: Going to source most things from PC Case Gear in Australia (Which is why most WC things are EK), except for a select few things from Amazon USA.

• Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97
  • CPU: Intel 4790K (will OC)
  • GPU: 2X GTX 880 (hopefully they come out by Q4 2014)
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator 2400 Platinum (I know, it's purely cosmetic)
  • PSU: AX1200i (Expansion, and for some of the crazy power hungry cards coming out, e.g. Kingpin 780Ti)
  • Case: Corsair 780t (gotta wait until September for this one)
  • Fans: Noctua F12 or A14 (All rads running in pull, intake for the front 360 and bottom 240, exhaust for the rear 140 and top 360. Aiming for positive pressure)
  • SSD: Samsung 850 Pro
  • Screen 1: LG 34UM95 3440x1440 Ultrawide 1440p IPS Screen (already have this, also want to be ready for 4K later on)
  • Screen 2: Apple 24" 1920x1200 LED (already have this too)

• Watercooling Stuff:
  • CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Nickel
  • GPU Block: EK Full Cover Nickel for GTX 880 (I want to see the condition of the water block inside)
  • GPU Backplate: EK Full Cover
  • SLI Fitting: EK 3 Solt Dual Serial FC Terminal
  • Res: EK Res X3 150
  • Pump: XSPC D5 Vario / Alternative: EK D5 Vario X-Top Plexi (the EK has gone up in price :mellow:)
  • Radiators: XSPC RX360 V3: 2x 360mm, 1x 240mm. Possibly an EX140 for the exhaust rear fan. (These are apparently better than the Alphacool UT60)
  • Fittings: Bitspower Black Compression (size ID & OD same as tubing)
  • Drainage: Bitspower Mini Valve
  • Tubing: Primoflex Advanced LRT 3/8 ID, 5/8 OD
  • Coolant: ???????

I think i've got it mostly planned, any suggestions? Can't wait to build, I need to run Excel at 60FPS  :D

EDIT: This looks perfect, 2L for $20!

http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/mayhems-x1-clear/

We recommend to either use our own Ekoolant or anything from Mayhems.

All my radiators and heatsinks are EK waterblocks. I had never any issues with them and I am enjoying water cooling fow quite a while already ;) .

Coolant wise I stick in every new loop that I built with the same. Either you use EK fluids or (this is what I do) use distilled water with a silver kill coil. I've had loops that we never touched for more than 1.5 years!

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

We recommend to either use our own Ekoolant or anything from Mayhems.

Thanks for that, knowing that Mayhems is EK friendly makes things a lot simpler.

All my radiators and heatsinks are EK waterblocks. I had never any issues with them and I am enjoying water cooling fow quite a while already ;) .

Coolant wise I stick in every new loop that I built with the same. Either you use EK fluids or (this is what I do) use distilled water with a silver kill coil. I've had loops that we never touched for more than 1.5 years!

I think if you have Copper blocks and rads, Killcoil or biocide is fine. I'm not comfortable using silver with nickel because Martinsliquidlab doesn't recommend it.

Koolance also don't recommend you use silver with a nickel plated 380I, but unlike EK their warranty doesn't include corrosion AT ALL, even if you use their coolant.

See: http://www.overclock.net/t/1398651/nickel-silver-coil-or-pt-nuke-feser-corrosion-blocker-nickel-confused-please-help#post_20142740

I'll probably get the Mayhems X1 Clear concentrate, it's only $19 for 2L. The EK fluids are really overpriced here in AUS. I'll definitely leak test and stress test the loop with plain ol' distilled though, no need to waste coolant for something running for a day or two...

Thanks for all your help everyone!

PS: has anyone used Mayhems Pastel? I'm still thinking about clear coolant + coloured tubes vs clear tubes + Mayhems pastel white. Are Primochill colored tubes transparent in any way?

Thanks for that, knowing that Mayhems is EK friendly makes things a lot simpler.

I think if you have Copper blocks and rads, Killcoil or biocide is fine. I'm not comfortable using silver with nickel because Martinsliquidlab doesn't recommend it.

Koolance also don't recommend you use silver with a nickel plated 380I, but unlike EK their warranty doesn't include corrosion AT ALL, even if you use their coolant.

See: http://www.overclock.net/t/1398651/nickel-silver-coil-or-pt-nuke-feser-corrosion-blocker-nickel-confused-please-help#post_20142740

I'll probably get the Mayhems X1 Clear concentrate, it's only $19 for 2L. The EK fluids are really overpriced here in AUS. I'll definitely leak test and stress test the loop with plain ol' distilled though, no need to waste coolant for something running for a day or two...

Thanks for all your help everyone!

PS: has anyone used Mayhems Pastel? I'm still thinking about clear coolant + coloured tubes vs clear tubes + Mayhems pastel white. Are Primochill colored tubes transparent in any way?

All my heatsinks are Nickel... and I don't have any issues.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

But you're using EK fluids, aren't you?

It's distilled + silver that kills nickel (or so I'm told)