IT job advice

Jay123

I am 16 and currently doing my GCSEs. I am a big fan of building, upgrading and maintaining PCs for myself, family and friends. Even though they do pay me it will not be enough when I leave home. can anyone suggest a hardware based job?

I have not yet finished all of my GCSEs so I cannot provide grades.

"An Excellent Signature"

I am 16 and currently doing my GCSEs. I am a big fan of building' date=' upgrading and maintaining PCs for myself, family and friends. Even though they do pay me it will not be enough when I leave home. can anyone suggest a hardware based job? I have not yet finished all of my GCSEs so I cannot provide grades.[/quote']

you have to get your A+ certification before anyone will hire you. It is the minimum Basic that is required to work as a IT tech. Even your mom and pop PC's stores require you to have your A+ certification, It only takes a couple of months to get it and you find places that will let you take it online. They even have a pretest you can take. Here is one of many websites that you can get it from http://certification.comptia.org/get...cations/a.aspx and here is a site were you can take the practice test http://www.examcompass.com/index.php...ice-tests.html. The only bad thing about only getting your A+ certification is that if someone else that has college degrees walks in and applies for the same job you do they will pick the College graduate. Take it from me. I have my Master's degree in computer networking, a Masters in computer Science, and a associates degree in computer programing

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Hi,

I'd suggest something along the lines of network administrator.

This kind of job offers you the greatest chance of having to deal with hardware a lot.

I'm an IT student myself, I study system and network administration (college). I chose this education myself because it offers a good mix of software and hardware related subjects.

Are you planning to study after this or will you look for a job straight away?

Hi' date=' I'd suggest something along the lines of network administrator. This kind of job offers you the greatest chance of having to deal with hardware a lot. I'm an IT student myself, I study system and network administration (college). I chose this education myself because it offers a good mix of software and hardware related subjects. Are you planning to study after this or will you look for a job straight away? [/quote']

I plan on completing some courses first, probably going to college

"An Excellent Signature"

Remember IT is not just building computers, you end up dealing with people and the issue is not dealing with computer people but non-computer friendly people, they suck the life out of you.

The start is now, you can work as an IT person today. Start small, run your houses IT chores, move on to friends and extended family, neighbors. Before you know it word of mouth will have you working if only for favors and food, you have to start somewhere. Then you have to read, read and read, as in keeping up with Tech in general and stay in school for as long as you can, its such a diverse field and there are so many companies with niche products that may solve just one problem you may encounter but can't find at the moment. Learn all OS's no matter how much you hate them, you will end up working on a computer with the OS you hate eventually and a buck is a buck no matter the OS. Certifications and papers stating you know something should not be your end game, knowing how to use those technologies is key. I've met my share of IT guys with enough certificates to cover a good sized wall but can't debug a misbehaving computer to save their lives, working knowledge is better than any piece of paper out there, not to mention learning on the fly and not being bogged down by a product/feature you have yet to face till now.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I noticed under the about page of our accounts there is a refer stat, does anyone know how to refer people, it would be nice to change that from a 0 to a 1 :)

Btw, I really hate the user settings, its really hard to find anything with any speed.

If you're planning to work as tech support in computer stores, you'll have to deal with a lot of people who doesn't even know what do you have inside a computer or difference between memory and storage. Say if you have any relatives who knows nothing about computers, those are the people you'll be working with.

Hi Jay123, i started out just like you.. a hobby turned into a career..

What happened to me was the fact that i totally grew tired of "the basics" i.e re installing pc´s, building pc´s... to be honest its not that much of a respected work line to be "the support guy"

You need to define what is my hobby and what can i find myself spending eight hours a day with?

I got myself a job at the Swedish version of "ncix.com" as a salesman (i remember 852 applying for that spot :)

But i soon found that the whole idea of the consumer IT world was a lot.... i mean A LOT behind the big corps out there ( what im trying to say is that when i was like 15 i could get exited about a CPU for example, but when i learned more and more about the pc world i saw that all the technology that we consumers get is slimmed down left overs from the big companies. Essentially old shit with a nice sticker on..

I am now a CCNP security / voice certified network tech at Ericsson.

My tip for you then is try to get certifications, as many as you can.. do as many programming, modelling networking whatever courses that you can bare and then along that way you´ll probably find your way in this world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if i went a bit "story telling mode", hope there is at least something that you can refer to :)

What does not kill you makes you stronger... right?

Remember IT is not just building computers, you end up dealing with people and the issue is not dealing with computer people but non-computer friendly people, they suck the life out of you.

The start is now, you can work as an IT person today. Start small, run your houses IT chores, move on to friends and extended family, neighbors. Before you know it word of mouth will have you working if only for favors and food, you have to start somewhere. Then you have to read, read and read, as in keeping up with Tech in general and stay in school for as long as you can, its such a diverse field and there are so many companies with niche products that may solve just one problem you may encounter but can't find at the moment. Learn all OS's no matter how much you hate them, you will end up working on a computer with the OS you hate eventually and a buck is a buck no matter the OS. Certifications and papers stating you know something should not be your end game, knowing how to use those technologies is key. I've met my share of IT guys with enough certificates to cover a good sized wall but can't debug a misbehaving computer to save their lives, working knowledge is better than any piece of paper out there, not to mention learning on the fly and not being bogged down by a product/feature you have yet to face till now.

You're right about all of what you said except for a couple little details. Without certifications and degrees you can't get any job not even working for your self legally. For an example, if you want to put a Windows OS on someones PC, the legal way, you have to have, A: A Microsoft certified partner certificate to work with Microsoft OS's., B: If you want to run you're own company (selling, distributing, and putting a Microsoft OS on someone's computer), you are required to have a Microsoft certified professional certificate, and C: If you own your own company you and one other employee has to have a Microsoft professional certificate, so you must have at least two people. You can't just do it by yourself. I know this from personal experience I did what you are telling the OP to do all through college that is how I got myself through college I was very lucky that I knew exactly what I was doing because if I would have screwed up one time I could have either ended up in jail or had been fined majorly. Everything is about the legal system nowadays and there are plenty of people looking to sue if they get the chance. No one can just start up a business anymore, without getting some kind of legal statement now. I do agree with you that there are some terrible IT's out there, I refuse to let any ISP IT tech do my full networking. I tell them to go hook up the necessary stuff to get a signal to my house and that I will do the rest because a lot of them have on the job training and nothing but that. Just having on the job training isn't enough, you need to know what you are doing, not just how to do it. Having that piece of paper states that you have knowledge. It's what covers you from liability or getting sued as well. In order to show someone that you know what you are doing it can't all be by word of mouth, though that's good, it's not the best for your business. People want to see paperwork as well to prove your background and knowledge. Starting out by working for favors or food will help you get your name out there but in order to work for cash and start a business you must have those certain certifications or you can get fined, sued etc.. Just want to make sure that if the OP does try to start his own business that he is well off and doesn't have any legal troubles along the way. I do agree with you also about "read, read, and read, and keeping up with tech.. etc." The more you know the better.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

You're right about all of what you said except for a couple little details. Without certifications and degrees you can't get any job not even working for your self legally. For an example' date=' if you want to put a Windows OS on someones PC, the legal way, you have to have, A: A Microsoft certified partner certificate to work with Microsoft OS's., B: If you want to run you're own company (selling, distributing, and putting a Microsoft OS on someone's computer), you are required to have a Microsoft certified professional certificate, and C: If you own your own company you and one other employee has to have a Microsoft professional certificate, so you must have at least two people. You can't just do it by yourself. I know this from personal experience I did what you are telling the OP to do all through college that is how I got myself through college I was very lucky that I knew exactly what I was doing because if I would have screwed up one time I could have either ended up in jail or had been fined majorly. Everything is about the legal system nowadays and there are plenty of people looking to sue if they get the chance. No one can just start up a business anymore, without getting some kind of legal statement now. I do agree with you that there are some terrible IT's out there, I refuse to let any ISP IT tech do my full networking. I tell them to go hook up the necessary stuff to get a signal to my house and that I will do the rest because a lot of them have on the job training and nothing but that. Just having on the job training isn't enough, you need to know what you are doing, not just how to do it. Having that piece of paper states that you have knowledge. It's what covers you from liability or getting sued as well. In order to show someone that you know what you are doing it can't all be by word of mouth, though that's good, it's not the best for your business. People want to see paperwork as well to prove your background and knowledge. Starting out by working for favors or food will help you get your name out there but in order to work for cash and start a business you must have those certain certifications or you can get fined, sued etc.. Just want to make sure that if the OP does try to start his own business that he is well off and doesn't have any legal troubles along the way. I do agree with you also about "read, read, and read, and keeping up with tech.. etc." The more you know the better.[/quote']

Well like every rule there are exceptions to them as well. I have no certifications and have/am installed OS's, Software, Networks, countless servers, components and fixed others installations (of people who were certified and had all the stickers to prove it) on not only private corporation systems but also Government and public systems. Why did they let me do it if those certifications were required? Because they wanted their equipment to work, some places have done their home work and signed certified people to do their work but still end up calling me to finish the job or redo it because it is not working. Also remember, anyone with a fancy printer can print those certifications out. Word of mouth or proven successful work is a way of getting repeat business and building your reputation which goes way over any certification. Then again I have more than one college degree and at higher than just a B.S. so its not me just job training.

Also, when's the last time you verified if even a plumber had the right certifications or if they had the certification if it was valid? Who do you call?

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Ericlee30, I'm sorry to have to do this, but I can not believe anything you say on these forums. You say you have multiple master degrees, yet you can't even type a paragraph with correct spelling and punctuation, it's either A) English isn't your native language or B) you're lying.

I'm going to go with both.

Addendum to my posts. If you do gain certifications it is a good thing, I'm just saying I wouldn't plaster it on my wall or business card as the sole qualifier to your rep., doing a solid job is what you should rely on for your rep. as with any profession any of you undertake.

Degrees and certs will only go so far. What employers will want is EXPERIENCE. Don't be afraid to take those intern jobs or volunteering on the side.

Ericlee30, I'm sorry to have to do this, but I can not believe anything you say on these forums. You say you have multiple master degrees, yet you can't even type a paragraph with correct spelling and punctuation, it's either A) English isn't your native language or B) you're lying.

I'm going to go with both.

LOL Good one. I never said I had a degree in grammar. Computers and grammar are two different things, but thanks for looking out though. :) I'm here to help people with the knowledge I have about computers not grammar. Same as you. No one is bound to the knowledge I give them, nor to yours as well. Calling someone a liar that has worked there butt off to get were they are today is not such a smart idea to do my friend. Especially since you do not know me or what I have been through. It either A) Shows that you envy my achievements and my life. B) Bashing on someone for there hard earned achievements in life to make yourself feel better or C) You are an under achiever that has dreams but never does anything to make your dreams come to reality. I'm betting its all of the above.

I wish you the best of luck that you will start thinking of your own achievements and making them reality and not so much on others that have accomplished theirs.

Degrees and certs will only go so far. What employers will want is EXPERIENCE. Don't be afraid to take those intern jobs or volunteering on the side.

And going to tech seminars and users group meetings in your area for your expertise or weakness to gain knowledge amongst your peers.

To comment on the plumber thing. You don't have to get a certification to be a plumber. Here is how that works you start off by being a Apprentices for 3 years then you take a HVAC test that is 2 weeks long and there you have it your now a journeyman Plumber. Some degree there. Bad thing to compare computers to. and if you are wondering how I know this that was my job before I got into college. From the age of 18 to the age of 20 that's what I did. I was getting ready to take the HVAC test when I realized I didn't want to be a plumber all my life. That said lets get back to topic. Just like I said I had my own home PC repair shop the hole time I was in collage I never said it wasn't possible to do it with out a degree but there is a lot of legal stuff involved. I never ran into this issue before I got my degrees but after I did I found out the consequences that could of happened. You can give the OP any advice you feel free to its your right but it is also my right to correct you on legal matters that could occur for the OP. For me this was not a debate nor when I wrote my first comment on your post was I trying to bash you in any way,shape or form. I was adding stuff you left out for the OP.

I do believe it´s hard to be "experienced" and still on top of the game.. everybody´s different :)

In my experience both young people that are really eager to learn and experienced ones can fit the employers needs.

What does not kill you makes you stronger... right?

I have overclocked my 2x4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz (9-9-9-24-2T) kit to 1866Mhz (9-10-9-27-1T). Yes the ones with the tall heat sinks you can't use CPU air coolers with. I know a lot of you out there have Vengeance in your rig and I know I've heard this kit of RAM isn't good for OCing. I've only noticed a tiny increase in benchmarks really. No real world performance was gained. Passed 24 hours of Memtest86+. Been running at 1866 w/3570k@4.6 for a good month now and haven't had a single lock up or BSOD.

So, here is the discussion. Have you OCed your Vengeance and what to?

Memory OCing gives just very small increase in benchmarks... I don't see point in doing it because, performance difference is negligible

There is a guy at my school (I think his title is Computer Technician) basically goes round fixing all the computers, setting upo projector and printers etc. Does anyone know how much something like that would pay?

"An Excellent Signature"

There is a guy at my school (I think his title is Computer Technician) basically goes round fixing all the computers' date=' setting upo projector and printers etc. Does anyone know how much something like that would pay?[/quote']

Here in the U.S.A it would be anywhere from $10 to $18 dollars an hour depending on what the school thought his qualification and experience is.

Memory OCing gives just very small increase in benchmarks... I don't see point in doing it because' date=' performance difference is negligible[/quote']

Yup, unless youre using an APU you wont notice a huge difference with different RAM speeds.

There is a guy at my school (I think his title is Computer Technician) basically goes round fixing all the computers' date=' setting upo projector and printers etc. Does anyone know how much something like that would pay?[/quote']

I have *just* started doing this now and entry-level pay is around £16k for a state school. My colleague is doing the same thing for ~20k

There are many different avenues in IT. BTW I don't have any real qualifications except GNVQ Applied IT and A LEvel Applied IT which both = secretary IT basically. I am studying Computing at uni which = software development so not related either!

So far the most important skill is being able to communicate effectively with less tech-savvy people. "Connect the pc to the projector via the free vga port" does not cut it.

I don't bother to, waste of time considering you have to test the stability of it.