Sound Card ~ Do I Need One?

Grayson Stonyhammer
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Chances are it would make no difference. Oh, except you'd have 30 fewer bucks.

Not worth it.

I am sort of new to the PC community, so I don't know too much things. I built my PC in February (2014), and the sound of watching videos/playing games sounds pretty normal to me. Although I do see a lot of people buying after market sound cards. I am just wondering will my MSI 970a G43 mobo need an after market sound card for playing games/video watching. The audio sounds normal to me, I am just wondering what is the point of getting an after market sound card and do I need/should get an after market sound card? 

If I should/need to get a sound card please recommend me one below, I am not sure how expensive they go up to but I would like one that isn't too expensive please ($30-$55 range). Thank you! :D 

If you have a modern motherboard, No.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

if you are into spending some money a amp/dac will give you much more sound possabilities

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

Chances are it would make no difference. Oh, except you'd have 30 fewer bucks.

Not worth it.

For those wondering I am using Razer Kraken Pro (Green Edition) heaphones, and an MSI 970a-G43 motherboard. 

I appreciate all the answers. It seems the majority think it's not worth it. Thanks for the help! 

I appreciate all the answers. It seems the majority think it's not worth it. Thanks for the help! 

To be more precise, the few possibilities where you might want to consider a dedicated sound card:

- If your onboard is broken or not working properly

- If your onboard can't drive the headphone to the proper normal hearing volume. Even then, it's better to go with an external amp, but some people prefer sound cards, because less clutters, etc

The truth is, dedicated sound card industries took major sales hits when onboard audios in mobos were becoming better and better. That's why they work hard in advertising to keep their products exist in the market....