Portable gaming laptop

kcazyz

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a laptop in the next month or two and I would like your advice on which to get. I am looking for a 15.6" display i7 4th gen with a good NVIDIA (860 maybe) around 2GB dedicated VRAM, 6-10 GB RAM. There are a few that I have found that are popular in this range, such as the Lenovo Y50, or the Asus G550JK, or the MSI Ghost or Stealth. My question is, among these or potentially others that fit the same criteria, which would you suggest? They seem to have similar specs, so I would like to take other things such as cooling, noise, trackpad and keyboard quality, and battery life into account.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Sager laptops.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I've been looking for something similar. The one that I like the most is the MSI GS60 Ghost. 

Just so you know, the MSI Stealth is a 17" laptop, so that might be bigger than what you're looking for. Gigabyte makes some thin, 14" gaming laptops, but you said you preferred 15"?

Thin laptops typically won't have cooling on par with thicker laptops, but if you're fine with that, I'd probably prefer the MSI Ghost of the laptops you listed. The Asus and Lenovo are much more limited when it comes to storage upgrade options, while the MSI will allow you to install mSATA SSDs. However, the MSI Ghost is a bit more expensive than the Asus/Lenovo, so it'll depend on your budget. 

Are you me? I have been looking at these exact same laptops over the last couple of days:

y50 - everything is great apart from the display, which is kind of crap. You could replace is yourself for only about $100 more, but that does introduce quite a bit of headache...

Stealth - 17" (that a con), other wise its a ghost

Ghost - Great all around, might have some heat issues, but I wouldn't be too worried. The price is an issue thou, even if you can afford it, it feels wrong to pay for what basically is a y50 with an IPS panel a whopping $700 more.

G550JK - this is what I settled on eventually. IPS, maxwell gpu, great price, not as sexy as the ghost, but still looks good and portable. It is out of stock everywhere now though... But if you need it in "next couple of month" I think it will restock in the beginning of August, which is what I will be waiting for.