Sound Card

MrPanda

Simple question which one would you get Schiit's ( Vali&loki), or a Asus Xonar Essence STX. Using it with HD598

-snip-

STX

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

O2 & ODAC combo is also in that price range? The Schiit combo isn't really a sound card though nor is the O2 & ODAC combo.

I'd say, if you need all the cool stuff you get with the STX, such as Dolby Headphone go for it. Otherwise I would go for something like the O2 & ODAC or the Schiit combo you mentioned. Especially with the Schiit combo, you could upgrade the equipment gradually, i.e. swapping the DAC for something better, then after a while saving some money swap the Amp for something better.

You could probably do with something even cheaper. What will the main use be?

Vocal music and CS LOLL

I would have to go with the Xonar STX.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'd say, go for the external combo if you want use it with other computers from time to time. Such as a laptop. Otherwise go for the STX.

The choice is yours.

For those headphones, nothing, they are really easy to drive and getting anything is wasteful...

For those headphones, nothing, they are really easy to drive and getting anything is wasteful...

It does open up for potential upgrades :)

It does open up for potential upgrades :)

DTs are the only* headphones that would get over the output impedance issue, and it wont fix the emi issues.

The fuck would you spend extra on a Loki for? The only reason it exists is for DSD playback, but if you needed that you wouldn't be considering an Asus card that can't do that.

The fuck would you spend extra on a Loki for? The only reason it exists is for DSD playback, but if you needed that you wouldn't be considering an Asus card that can't do that.

Go ham, *grabs animal crackers*, this post looks like it should be fun.

Go ham, *grabs animal crackers*, this post looks like it should be fun.

In b4 some fucker 'splains at me that resonance frequency makes HD 5xx "picky" with amps.

In b4 some fucker 'splains at me that resonance frequency makes HD 5xx "picky" with amps.

Or the internal cabling on your 6.3 to 3.5 adapter changes your low range bleed over.

Or the internal cabling on your 6.3 to 3.5 adapter changes your low range bleed over.

Either that, or they'll be talking about audio in the same terms that you'd use to describe sex or weather conditions.

Either that, or they'll be talking about audio in the same terms that you'd use to describe sex or weather conditions.

Hot and miserable? I can dig, would make for a good show.