An interesting editorial from the Razer CEO on hardware...

CtW

...becoming  the new software and hardware "becoming less hard." Basically he states that hardware is starting to become more tightly integrated with software and those who can do that the best will become all successful and stuff. Read it for yourself as I probably summarized it really badly

Link: http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/12/hardware-is-the-new-software

Software is still king in my eyes though. It's what puts hardware to use and makes a user experience pleasant. 

Hardware's just made to be able to run software better.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Software is still king in my eyes though. It's what puts hardware to use and makes a user experience pleasant. 

Hardware's just made to be able to run software better.

Without hardware software doesn't exist. Hardware can exist separate of software.

-snip-

Apple has been doing this for almost the entire time they were a company...except for the "dark ages." They realized it ages ago, now everyone else is playing catchup while they've almost mastered what he describes.

Min-Liang Tan is a huge Apple fan too, though I suppose that's not a big surprise looking at the Blade.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Without hardware software doesn't exist. Hardware can exist separate of software.

Yeah! We call those bricks, you can toss them at people, it hurts a lot.

I realize this however, hardware doesn't do a thing without software to make it "do things". 

That's why its the software that makes the product in my eyes.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I realize this however, hardware doesn't do a thing without software to make it "do things". 

Well you can still manually start electric pulses to make it do things.

Those are tools, which count as hardware :P

Well you can still manually start electric pulses to make it do things.

Those are tools, which count as hardware :P

I was under the assumption we were talking about handheld gadgets or computers like phones and whatnot.

Software requires hardware to enable it to do things just as hardware requires software to tell it how to do things.

I'd say it's a symbiotic relationship. They both require each other just as much to function well.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Software requires hardware to enable it to do things just as hardware requires software to tell it how to do things.

I'd say it's a symbiotic relationship. They both require each other just as much to function well.

Quite right, it is a symbiotic relationship. 

I just see software as the more valuable of the two even though neither can really flourish on their own. 

Some hardware like cases and cooling that have a strong look component to it, yes. But for the most part I feel this an incorrect approach: you need software first in order to give you an incentive to buy and upgrade hardware.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Interesting read, I'd say that hardware and software are just as important as each other.