Idea for LTT episode

Hey peeps

I have an idea for a linustechtips video which would be very interesting for almost everybody.

The idea revolves around the idea of ssd's vs hdd's and the benefits when used for gaming. We all know that SSD's are superior to HDD's except when it comes to capacity and price per GB, no disputing this.

As more and more gamers go completely digital they find that they start using up space on there HDD/SSD faster than expected. ex I bought a 1TB evo and I have almost already filled it up during the steam sale.

The drives will be raided in raid 0 when multiple drives are present and it is assumed that the person is backing up all their data so the idea of the test would be as follows: 

1 x SSD vs 1 x HDD 

1 x SSD vs 2 x HDD 

2 x SSD vs 2 x HDD 

2 x SSD vs 3 x HDD 

3 x SSD vs 3 x HDD

3 x SSD vs 3 x HDD

4 x SSD vs 4 x HDD

Now as I said before HDD's are cheaper per GB and in theory you could set up a 4 x 4TB (16TB total) raid 0 for a fraction of the cost. 

The objectives of the benchmark is to compare price per dollar to find our the most effective solution. Real world load and access times. Installation times and data integrity as well as read/write and random access speeds.

My apologies if some of it didn't make sense, I am tired from work.

I hope people like this idea and the people at LTT might think this a good idea for a video.

So yeah.

Opinions? 

opinions is that no one should ever raid 0 4 4tb drives. if you need that much space for data, im sure loosing ALL of it from 1 drive failure would completely suck. I don't understand what you actually want tested though?

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

4 x SSD vs 4 x HDD

Now as I said before HDD's are cheaper per GB and in theory you could set up a 4 x 4TB (16TB total) raid 0 for a fraction of the cost. 

The objectives of the benchmark is to compare price per dollar to find our the most effective solution. Real world load and access times. Installation times and data integrity as well as read/write and random access speeds.

If you have 4 drives, save yourself and run RAID 10.

raid 10 master race  B)

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

opinions is that no one should ever raid 0 4 4tb drives. if you need that much space for data, im sure loosing ALL of it from 1 drive failure would completely suck. I don't understand what you actually want tested though?

I did say that they where backed up though........  "and it is assumed that the person is backing up all their data "

Did you buy every single game on sale?

No, but I did buy quite a few games during the sale, also quite a few game on origin

If you have 4 drives, save yourself and run RAID 10.

raid 10 master race  B)

Raid 0 master race with a nightly back up :D ( thats my plan since I don't think my original plan was going to work)

Come on guys, is that it?

I would have thought people would have been more interested in this sort of thing?

I did say that they where backed up though........  "and it is assumed that the person is backing up all their data "

Wait, so you are telling me, someone would back up their data onto something more prone to failure than the original drive?

Anyways,what did you want to test exactly? Like what was the reason for all of this? i didn't get that. i got :

The objectives of the benchmark is to compare price per dollar to find our the most effective solution. 

But you yourself said :

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

. We can already predict what is more 'Real world load and access times. Installation times and data integrity as well as read/write and random access speeds.' but that won't be the cost effective solution, unless you value you your data THAT MUCH

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

oops it broke up :/ my bad.

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Wait, so you are telling me, someone would back up their data onto something more prone to failure than the original drive?

Anyways,what did you want to test exactly? Like what was the reason for all of this? i didn't get that. i got :

But you yourself said :

. We can already predict what is more 'Real world load and access times. Installation times and data integrity as well as read/write and random access speeds.' but that won't be the cost effective solution, unless you value you your data THAT MUCH

oops it broke up :/ my bad.

I meant if you run raid 0 but you back all your data nightly up to server. preferable raid with multiple hdd redundancy.

Pretty much. what would be the real world results of raided HDD vs ssd's be like. I am a big gamer and I am going completely digital for all my PC games and I am going to be downloading lots of games and would like to know the performance differential. Does that make any sense?

adding to this unedited post. I was going to raid 4 x 1TB (or higher) ssds for larger capacity and speed but it would seem like my game library would run out of space quickly and I dislike uninstalling and or redownloading games

I meant if you run raid 0 but you back all your data nightly up to server. preferable raid with multiple hdd redundancy.

Pretty much. what would be the real world results of raided HDD vs ssd's be like. I am a big gamer and I am going completely digital for all my PC games and I am going to be downloading lots of games and would like to know the performance differential. Does that make any sense?

adding to this unedited post. I was going to raid 4 x 1TB (or higher) ssds for larger capacity and speed but it would seem like my game library would run out of space quickly and I dislike uninstalling and or redownloading games

Well it would cost you way to much to get 4 1tb ssds and 'nightly backups' would cost you even more money on top. Get 4 2tb hdds and run raid 10. same storage, better redundancy.

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

4 x 4 TB raid 0, i wanna see that bench  ^_^

Here is your answer: SATA-bus is bottlenecking

heck why not add M.2 benchmarks with it

Well it would cost you way to much to get 4 1tb ssds and 'nightly backups' would cost you even more money on top. Get 4 2tb hdds and run raid 10. same storage, better redundancy.

Not really, I can get 4 x 4TB HDDs for less than $800. a 1TB evo cost that much......

4 x 4 TB raid 0, i wanna see that bench  ^_^

Here is your answer: SATA-bus is bottlenecking

heck why not add M.2 benchmarks with it

Would it? thats what I am curious since HDD's are meant to be so slow compared to SSD's? Also does random read and write increase in raid 0?

Come on guys, is that it?

I would have thought people would have been more interested in this sort of thing?

Well you were.......WRONG!!! *queue dramatic music* :P (JK)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

At first it looked like everything you said made absolutely no sense. But it's actually an interesting test. I'd love to see this.

At first it looked like everything you said made absolutely no sense. But it's actually an interesting test. I'd love to see this.

I was tired lol, since my promotion at work I haven't been able to think straight when I get home. I reckon it would be pretty good.

It would show quite a few things but it seems that nobody really understood what I was saying

I can't see the point of this test

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

I can't see the point of this test

Too see whether or not raided HDD's can equal SSD's or raided SSD's in performance. Where are the strengths of each solution. 

Not really, I can get 4 x 4TB HDDs for less than $800. a 1TB evo cost that much......

Exactly my point. You can build a 4x4tb hdd raid 10 array for the price of a SINGLE 840 EVO 1TB. 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p