AMD made a solid piece of software.

Tie Lightning

Hey guys, so you can all see by my specs in my signature, i by no means have a "beefy" PC. I always liked to record game-play footage but it always killed my frames no matter which recording software i used.

Now a couple of weeks ago either on the NCIX news or the WAN show (I forget), Linus was talking about something with AMD and then proceeded to say after the topic was dissolved something along the lines of...And AMD released a new game/video capture software that apparently has no affect on your FPS. (Then he looks at the camera with that stern Linus face we all love and then proceeds onto the next topic) 

So initially i took no real note of it...but then i really wanted to try it out after Fraps just destroys my frames. So i downloaded the "raptr" software which includes the DVR function which is in Beta.

The Raptr software is "OK" but not the best. It had slightly inefficient UI and some features to be desired. The optimization for all your games was handy even though i like to tweak them myself. And the integration with Facebook, PlayStation, and Xbox seemed silly and unnecessary to me. Despite these shortcomings, the game DVR was something to be longed after.

I don't know how they managed to do it, but the built in DVR has little to no affect on FPS!! Without the DVR recording, my FPS in Borderlands 2 on ULTRA was (72 FPS)... With the DVR recording at (1080p /60FPS / 50Mbps) my FPS dipped to an average of (70 FPS). This is incredible that they were able to do that. It makes recording gameplay that much easier and to me makes the DVR an invaluable piece of software.

If you have tried it, What do you think of AMD's new recording software? and, Does this is combination with Mantle support make AMD GPUs more appealing to customers looking for a solid Graphics Card?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

*effect

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Hm... I am pretty sure Raptr had good recording capabilities before AMD came along with the Evolved App? Or am I mistaken?

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

they do this by using the onboard H264 decoder

What is that?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

It is pretty much the same thing as Shadowplay or Dxtory, it is nice to have it on AMD cards though.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

What is that?

*encoder, actually. It's placed on your graphics card and it takes the raw video output and compresses it with the H.264 codec standard.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It is pretty much the same thing as Shadowplay or Dxtory, it is nice to have it on AMD cards though.

The only difference for me being that dxtory kills perfromance on for example fallout. And vegas actually opens files recorded with gaming evolved.

Dxtory records more than the game audio though

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

same thing as shadowplay

So you mean, it's the same thing as Shadowplay :P

AMD "Shadowplay", now Nvidia fanboys have one less argument to throw at people

Now that's constructive

The only difference for me being that dxtory kills perfromance on for example fallout. And vegas actually opens files recorded with gaming evolved.

Dxtory records more than the game audio though

Yeah and you can get really good codecs for Dxtory.

But Shadowplay and RAPTR have the shadow mode which is very useful for me atleast.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

Would this require an AMD processor?  I have a videocard with the AMD chipset but an intel CPU.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

Would this require an AMD processor?  I have a videocard with the AMD chipset but an intel CPU.

It doesnt need an AMD prcessor...Just an AMD GPUI

It doesnt need an AMD prcessor...Just an AMD GPUI

HD7000 series and newer.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |