Painting Noctua Fans. Can it be done?

So I want to paint some noctua fans with a sort of metallic blue finish on the fane blades. I know you can not remoove the fan blades but you can using masking tape to ensure that you are only painting the blades. Will this hinder the performance at all or cause any other issues?

It will reduce airflow and increase noise, but it should still work great as long as you use a very thin paint and not apply too many coats.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It can be done. 

It will reduce airflow and increase noise, but it should still work great as long as you use a very thin paint and not apply too many coats.

The airflow might actually not be affected much and noise might actually be reduced if done properly. Noctua's been working on more textured fans and adding a bumpier texture to the fins to help broaden the sound signature and reduce dead air. It will depend on how well the fan is painted. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It can be done. 

The airflow might actually not be affected much and noise might actually be reduced if done properly. Noctua's been working on more textured fans and adding a bumpier texture to the fins to help broaden the sound signature and reduce dead air. It will depend on how well the fan is painted. 

As long as you don't clump it like I've done it should be completely fine.. :D

It would be wiser to dye them then to paint them.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

@BusinessPenguin

yes

Looks alot easier on the eyes.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

@BusinessPenguin

masked the frame/chassis with masking tape, sprayed the blades Krylon Gloss White

masked off the fan blades and painted the frames Krylon Flat Black.

when painting the fan blades, paint using even light misting coats till color

is forming. 5min between coats. last coat to be slight to prevent sags

(unbalanced condition). let blades dry for 48hrs before removing tape and

3 days afterwards to mask blades for chassis painting.

@BusinessPenguin

masked the frame/chassis with masking tape, sprayed the blades Krylon Gloss White

Thank you.

@BusinessPenguin

Also, did you use a paint plus primer or did you primer it and then pain it?

@BusinessPenguin

paint only, wasn't going to be a permanent fixture. i think i had that 6 month and

moved to something else. as long as nothing was scratching on it, it'd be fine.