I'm going to develop an android app for pc builders, leave your requests here

Hey Linus Tech tips community,

this is my first post here, but i have been watching linus since way back! :)

I thought it was odd there was no good app for when one is building a pc, since it seems very handy in that case of you very likely not having acces to a computer.

I clearly remember having to sit and watch a video on how to connect the front pannel connectors to the motherboard on my brothers computer, halfway through my build.

I was thinking building a kind of hand book'ish thing, but i will most likely change a lot during development.

this is not my first app, i have developed a couple for school project and for fun, and been part of a two man team for an app on the play store.

So leave your requests and input as a reply, for anything you would like to see in this app!

All the users who contribute will be visible in the app in a credits list of some sort.

Community ideas:

User: DIV1D3 - orange color scheme, no long paragraphs of text. 

User: AlwaysFSX - Checklist to check of as you progress through the build.

User: Sors - Info on screws/standoff threads and whichs to use, info on power/data cables and where they go.

User: Catbutts - Info on compatibility and differentiating vendors and socket types, orientation of how hardware fits in(example: RAM module)

User: C0V413NT - Use the new material design standard.

User: SpeedBird - Diagrams on system headers(eg. front panel usb)

It would be very cool if this thread could keep being active while the app is being developed,

so if you have a request, question or just feel like saying something relavent, please do so! :)

You can watch videos on your android phone.... not having access to a PC is sorta irrelevant lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You can watch videos on your android phone.... not having access to a PC is sorta irrelevant lol

i dissagree, having a organised way, much like a handbook. Is much more convinient than sitting and watcing a video on your phone.

but of course i am open to the fact that this is a shitty idea :)

So you want to make like a pc builders encyclopedia?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

So you want to make like a pc builders encyclopedia?

not necessarily, more simpler handbook that has the core elements that applies to pc building, but i am open to all ideas. that's why i made this thread :)

He means having them centralised, instead of watching various videos and going to several websites to get information. 

I recon it's a great idea, I think there should be decent navigation with sections and sub-sections to give standard information and then in-depth, more advanced info. 

Also I'm fairly sure Linus and the crew haven't trademarked the orange and black colour theme so I think that maybe you should use it as the background and such, or something around that. 

Also include a search feature, and also maybe have a guide for the users so they know how to use it. Also make sure that if you do do this that there isn't a huge amount of writing or 1 hour long videos, try and make it simpler with diagrams but be sure to explain everything as detailed as needed.  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

He means having them centralised, instead of watching various videos and going to several websites to get information. 

I recon it's a great idea, I think there should be decent navigation with sections and sub-sections to give standard information and then in-depth, more advanced info. 

Also I'm fairly sure Linus and the crew haven't trademarked the orange and black colour theme so I think that maybe you should use it as the background and such, or something around that. 

Also include a search feature, and also maybe have a guide for the users so they know how to use it. Also make sure that if you do do this that there isn't a huge amount of writing or 1 hour long videos, try and make it simpler with diagrams but be sure to explain everything as detailed as needed.  

brilliant, it was absolutely something like this i was thinking. Very cool to hear someone who also thinks it would be smart! :D I very much agree with the, not to much text, no long videos etc.

not necessarily, more simpler handbook that has the core elements that applies to pc building, but i am open to all ideas. that's why i made this thread :)

Well a basic notebook of what to look for and do would be helpful. Kinda like a list to check off when you're building.

brilliant, it was absolutely something like this i was thinking. Very cool to hear someone who also thinks it would be smart! :D I very much agree with the, not to much text, no long videos etc.

:D Awesome, are you only going to put this up on the Google Play Store?? I'd love to see it when it's finished but I have no Android devices. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Well a basic notebook of what to look for and do would be helpful. Kinda like a list to check off when you're building.

cool, i like the checklist idea. That would be smart, i would like as much input from people who build a lot of computers as possible! :) Since i have only build one, i'm more of a software guy.

:D Awesome, are you only going to put this up on the Google Play Store?? I'd love to see it when it's finished but I have no Android devices. 

yes, unfortunately i only have to ability to develop for android at the moment. I will make sure to post it here when it's finished of course. If it is popular, there could of course come a IOS version. :)

cool, i like the checklist idea. That would be smart, i would like as much input from people who build a lot of computers as possible! :) Since i have only build one, i'm more of a software guy.

I'd have to spend a bit thinking of everything since I haven't done a build in a while but I can definitely get my own together for you. :D

How about a drawing of which screw you need for each part?  not really a picture, but a drawing that shows the difference in the screw's thread.  I guess also could show stand offs.

The different kinds of power and data connectors and where they go.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

How about a drawing of which screw you need for each part?  not really a picture, but a drawing that shows the difference in the screw's thread.  I guess also could show stand offs.

The different kinds of power and data connectors and where they go.

how much does this vary on a build by build basis? because i'm mostly interrested info that is broad and is relavant to all builds. Good idea though, i will write it up! :)

yes, unfortunately i only have to ability to develop for android at the moment. I will make sure to post it here when it's finished of course. If it is popular, there could of course come a IOS version. :)

Hopefully, I really like the idea. 

rDT8UwP.jpg

The other day, I put my RAM in the wrong way.

Basic schematics for compatibility and orientation would be cool.

For newer builders (those who are most likely to find this app), differentiating vendors and socket types is probably the most daunting task.

Swiping through compatible parts would be useful

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

how much does this vary on a build by build basis? because i'm mostly interrested info that is broad and is relavant to all builds. Good idea though, i will write it up! :)

All 3.5" drives use the same screws, all modern 5 1/4" drives and 2.5" drives use the same screws.   So there are not that many types, and they are constant in all builds.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Make sure to use the new material design standard so your app fits in with the default android apps coming to 5.0. I always love when a dev uses the default android interface api because it looks great that way.

rDT8UwP.jpg

The other day, I put my RAM in the wrong way.

Basic schematics for compatibility and orientation would be cool.

For newer builders (those who are most likely to find this app), differentiating vendors and socket types is probably the most daunting task.

Swiping through compatible parts would be useful

very cool, i really like the idea of a easy way to see compatibility and orientation! :)

All 3.5" drives use the same screws, all modern 5 1/4" drives and 2.5" drives use the same screws.   So there are not that many types, and they are constant in all builds.

very cool, this is definitly something i will look into implementing.

Make sure to use the new material design standard so your app fits in with the default android apps coming to 5.0. I always love when a dev uses the default android interface api because it looks great that way.

This was also this i was thinking, i really agree with you. So i will most likely do it this way, i will probably make a post in the forum to get some feedback on the interface! :)

Not sure if this was posted before, but I think it should have some diagrams on system headers (e.g front panel USB). Some older systems have all the internal candles for the USB header seperate and it wasn't easy trying to plug them back in when I accidentally disconnected them. Not really building, more like diagnostics and repairs.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Not sure if this was posted before, but I think it should have some diagrams on system headers (e.g front panel USB). Some older systems have all the internal candles for the USB header seperate and it wasn't easy trying to plug them back in when I accidentally disconnected them. Not really building, more like diagnostics and repairs.

don't worry about repeating someone, it just helps me see what people want. But this is a great idea, and definitly something i will look into! Very well explained :)