What to do with old system?

asquirrel

Originally I wanted to simply replace the case I was using and move all the parts into a new case. But then I saw systems as powerful as my own fitting into smaller cases, like the 250D, and wanted one of those for space saving reasons (everything I own fits in my car, and a full tower takes up A LOT of room that I could put other, more useful, things (vacuum, office chair, dumbells, etc).

But that leaves me with the question of what to do with my current system. It works just fine, I just don't like the case. I wouldn't sell the hard drives or video card with the case, but I would sell the RAID card (physical, a real RAID card, with BBU). How hard is it to sell an otherwise assembled system? Or should I just trash it? I...really hate wasting something so useful. I'm...used to replacing stuff only when it breaks. Not when I get tired of it. >.<

Sell it piece by piece in the Classifieds or on eBay.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

or repurpose it like I did with my "old" computer to be a dedicated console recording system I gave it to my brother because He just plays the xbox although I have built him a computer that can handle Battlefield 3 at medium settings at 60FPS but he insists on using the xbox because his scrub friends only have xbox (GTA5 is all they play *facepalm*)

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

What are the parts in your system and which ones are you willing to sell, i dont understand why you would trash an entire system just to change the form factor of it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Keep it as a backup system just in case your newer system bellies up for any reason, beats being without a computer.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Put it in the corner and forget about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

What are the parts in your system and which ones are you willing to sell, i dont understand why you would trash an entire system just to change the form factor of it.

Reason for case swap:

-Easier dust filtration. Currently each fan (except the CPU exhaust and hard drive bay fans) sit in their own bracket with their own filter. To clean the filter, you must remove the fan, and the bracket from the case.

-Smaller form factor

Current system (parts to be sold):

CoolerMaster Stacker 830

i7 920 D0 (the good/cooler stepping)

Noctua NH-U12P SE (and the included fans, as well as AMD mounting kit circa 2009, leftover thermal NH-1 paste)

12GB (6x2 GB) Corsair RAM 1666 IIRC (I would double check before selling).

3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID card + BBU (99% certain this is the card, I'm not at home where I can double check)

Asus P6T Deluxe v2

Corsair HX850 PSU (850 watt, semi-modular PSU)

Negotiable: EVGA 660TI 3GB edition (I'm not against selling it, but I would re-use it if you didn't want to pay for it). I can ship an MSI GTX 275 (2GB) in its place if the buyer doesn't need much GPU power.

Reason for case swap:

-Easier dust filtration. Currently each fan (except the CPU exhaust and hard drive bay fans) sit in their own bracket with their own filter. To clean the filter, you must remove the fan, and the bracket from the case.

-Smaller form factor

Current system (parts to be sold):

CoolerMaster Stacker 830

i7 920 D0 (the good/cooler stepping)

Noctua NH-U12P SE (and the included fans, as well as AMD mounting kit circa 2009, leftover thermal NH-1 paste)

12GB (6x2 GB) Corsair RAM 1666 IIRC (I would double check before selling).

3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID card + BBU (99% certain this is the card, I'm not at home where I can double check)

Asus P6T Deluxe v2

Corsair HX850 PSU (850 watt, semi-modular PSU)

Negotiable: EVGA 660TI 3GB edition (I'm not against selling it, but I would re-use it if you didn't want to pay for it). I can ship an MSI GTX 275 (2GB) in its place if the buyer doesn't need much GPU power.

ahh okay so it is old to the point that chaning the form factor isnt really an option, my advice woukd be to put it up on the ltt classifieds for like $500 with the gtx275 or $635 with the 660ti. That will get you atleast half way to a new Matx or Mitx system.

Edit* those prices might be a little high, those prices are the most someone would buy it for so you may have to try a little lower.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

ahh okay so it is old to the point that chaning the form factor isnt really an option, my advice woukd be to put it up on the ltt classifieds for like $500 with the gtx275 or $635 with the 660ti. That will get you atleast half way to a new Matx or Mitx system.

Edit* those prices might be a little high, those prices are the most someone would buy it for so you may have to try a little lower.

Actually your prices are fair/low. The raid card alone is, on ebay, worth between $20 and $100. The BBU cannot be found cheaper than a single auction for $100 (card included) or by itself for $130. The rest of the parts, i agree, are not worth that much though. RAID cards are that special kind of squirrel that typically go up in price when discontinued, because someone somewhere needs a replacement to keep their data alive when theirs dies off. :P