bringing a netbook to a usable level

AlexGoesHigh

ok, so my mom's 5-6 year old netbook is trash due to bloatware and crap accumulation through the years, it hangs for 5 minutes just browsing the web, this tells you everything so i'm planning on formatting it, but here where i'm not sure what to do, it runs windows 7 starter 32 bit and my mom hasn't use only windows, and she the kind that you have to tell her how to do the most simple things on a computer, she think the problems is because i'm using my computer doing internet stuff, yeah that's how bad the situation is <_<  but i'm not sure if reinstalling windows would be good because it was already slow when it was new, so i was thinking about using a linux distro but something that almost a copy paste of windows or at most very easy to use because, she never going to learn how to do the most basic stuff again, obviously it hast to be a lightweight distro so features is not a priority since she works on it with online banking, emails and cloud office (btw does cloud office works on linux?) so what would be best in this situation

specs:

toshiba nb305

intel atom n450 dual core 1.66ghz

1gb of ram

250gb hdd

more info here: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2580264&isFromTOCLink=false

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

ok, so my mom's 5-6 year old netbook is trash due to bloatware and crap accumulation through the years, it hangs for 5 minutes just browsing the web, this tells you everything so i'm planning on formatting it, but here where i'm not sure what to do, it runs windows 7 starter 32 bit and my mom hasn't use only windows, and she the kind that you have to tell her how to do the most simple things on a computer, she think the problems is because i'm using my computer doing internet stuff, yeah that's how bad the situation is <_<  but i'm not sure if reinstalling windows would be good because it was already slow when it was new, so i was thinking about using a linux distro but something that almost a copy paste of windows or at most very easy to use because, she never going to learn how to do the most basic stuff again, obviously it hast to be a lightweight distro so features is not a priority since she works on it with online banking, emails and cloud office (btw does cloud office works on linux?) so what would be best in this situation

specs:

toshiba nb305

1gb of ram

250gb hdd

more info here: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2580264&isFromTOCLink=false

Anything with an Atom CPU is going to be slow they are slower than most phones.

Since you only have 1 GB of RAM, try a distro with Openbox or another basic window manager.

Most Like Windows: Zorin OS

Lightweight Yet Fully Featured: Crunchbang

It will be tough/impossible to run Windows on only 1GB of RAM and an atom dual core.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I would pop in 2gb of ram and re-install windows.

And yes cloud office does work on linux.

But teaching your mom linux is going to be hard especially when some things aren't working or need to be done different.

Lubuntu should work fine as well as mint.

Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

I used Ubuntu to revive my netbook (main computer) with a Celeron M single core clocked at 1.2GHz.

specs:

toshiba nb305

1gb of ram

250gb hdd

Puppy Linux or Arch if you're experienced.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Anything with an Atom CPU is going to be slow they are slower than most phones.

that why i said usable not fast

Since you only have 1 GB of RAM, try a distro with Openbox or another basic window manager.

Most Like Windows: Zorin OS

Lightweight Yet Fully Featured: Crunchbang

It will be tough/impossible to run Windows on only 1GB of RAM and an atom dual core.

checking this

Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

I used Ubuntu to revive my netbook (main computer) with a Celeron M single core clocked at 1.2GHz.

this to

I would pop in 2gb of ram and re-install windows.

And yes cloud office does work on linux.

But teaching your mom linux is going to be hard especially when some things aren't working or need to be done different.

Lubuntu should work fine as well as mint.

and this also finding another 1gb stick of ddr2 for laptops would be very hard 

Puppy Linux or Arch if you're experienced.

thanks

Install Windows XP, that's the first right step.

yeah i would prefer something that still has support and isn't 12 years old 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i have a netbook with same specs and only thing actually made a difference is 2GB ram i even tried my SSD on the damn thing and cpu just sucked too much to benefit from an SSD

XP seems to be only thing that is actually not bad to use ,i tried couple of distros ubuntu netbook edition,fedora ,arch linux and they all had cpu related lags

(its single core with 2 threads.)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

How can it be hard to find ddr2 ram?

Most stores here just sell it and fairly cheap and there's webshops mate.

But it should run fine with a light tweaked windows 7.

i have a netbook with same specs and only thing actually made a difference is 2GB ram i even tried my SSD on the damn thing and cpu just sucked too much to benefit from an SSD

XP seems to be only thing that is actually not bad to use ,i tried couple of distros ubuntu netbook edition,fedora ,arch linux and they all had cpu related lags

(its single core with 2 threads.)

single core well this explains a lot, besides xp being old i don't have keys of it and i dont want to fiddle with cracks

How can it be hard to find ddr2 ram?

Most stores here just sell it and fairly cheap and there's webshops mate.

But it should run fine with a light tweaked windows 7.

i dont live in usa and neither europe also i'm trying to do this without expending a cent

Trash it and tell her to buy a new computer for like $250-300. Even the cheapest piece of crap dell/Lenovo/other you can find will beat a netbook. That thing was a piece of crap the day it came out and it's only gotten worse.

There's literally nothing you can do to make it faster.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Try doing a reinstall of windows or light linux distro.

Trash it and tell her to buy a new computer for like $250-300. Even the shorties piece of crap dell/Lenovo/other you can find will beat a netbook. That thing was a piece of crap the day it came out and it's only gotten worse.

don't tell me about and i much rather prefer buy another thing but she bought this without my presence and when i saw it i almost burst in flame of how shit it is, but she stubborn and doesn't want to buy a thing so i'm trying to fix it because i'm tired of her complaints >.<

Get a Samsung 840 EVO and then install Xubuntu. Gave my netbook a whole new lease on life, same as my mom's (just without the EVO).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I also have a similar Acer Aspire One AO532h with Intel Atom N450 @ 1.66Ghz and 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz. I decided to build my own OpenBox WM with Arch Linux that uses less than 100MB of RAM.

-snip-

damn that impressive but i'm very unexperience with linux so something that just you run and install would be good though how much time did it take you to do setup that?

specs:

toshiba nb305

1gb of ram

250gb hdd

I'd recommend Linux Mint XFCE edition.  Very lightweight, highly customizeable, runs like Windows, and everything works from the get-go.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

What I do whenever I need to totally clean out a computer is run a verity of programs which over the course of about 12-24 hours will make the computer a lot easier to use.

I run TuneUp Utilities (updated version) along with Slim Drivers and System Mechanic using all the tools within those programs to Clean out the registry, defrag the registry, defrag the hard drive, downlad drivers, clean out trash, and even move programs around n the hard drive to make them start faster.

ok i decided to go with crunchbang, any other recommendations before installing it?