Completely Badass Mac Pro Trailer

Builder

It's not cheaper. Have you even been reading my posts? It costs nearly $200 more. 

You don't seem to understand why workstation grade hardware is important in a workstation environment. On top of that, yes, it needs to be at least a comparable workstation grade model to the one in the Mac Pro, which the 780 Ti is not.

And it does invalidate it, because as it stands, it's not overpriced if you can't build a Windows PC with the same parts for less. In fact, it would be cheaper to buy a Mac Pro and put Windows on it if you want a Windows machine with those parts because AMD gave them a huge discount on the graphics cards which is why it's not possible to beat it on price.

you might have made a typo in your ram post, you said 12 gb was 200$, I linked a 32gb... 32>12. The guy in the video had 32gb, you said you did not believe ecc memory was cheaper @ the same speed and capacity, that is why I linked the 32gb kit...

After the 1st sentence you just repeated what I said, I know apple gets the parts cheaper.. that is what I said before

person below me is a scrub

you might have made a typo in your ram post, you said 12 gb was 200$, I linked a 32gb... 32>12. The guy in the video had 32gb, you said you did not believe ecc memory was cheaper @ the same speed and capacity, that is why I linked the 32gb kit...

After the 1st sentence you just repeated what I said, I know apple gets the parts cheaper.. that is what I said before

And now you renege on what you said.

I understand 32 is larger than 12, it was a terrible way to make your point because it cost nearly double what mine did. It's still way more than you'd pay for a 32GB non-ECC kit and a 12GB kit does happen to be around $200.

You never said Apple gets the parts cheaper, and you never said workstation parts were important. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And now you renege on what you said.

I understand 32 is larger than 12, it was a terrible way to make your point because it cost nearly double what mine did. It's still way more than you'd pay for a 32GB non-ECC kit and a 12GB kit does happen to be around $200.

You never said Apple gets the parts cheaper, and you never said workstation parts were important. 

look at my old post...

"

if you try to make a computer with the exact same parts as the mac you will be paying more, apple gets those parts cheaper than we can, you should know this, so it only makes sense to *not* use the same hardware

"

Not sure what you mean by the ram... if you get the 12gb you will pay 16.6$ per gb, get the 32 gb you will pay 12.5$ per gb. Are you trying to say you do not need 32gb?

person below me is a scrub

look at my old post...

"

if you try to make a computer with the exact same parts as the mac you will be paying more, apple gets those parts cheaper than we can, you should know this, so it only makes sense to *not* use the same hardware

"

Ah.

Sorry. I still don't understand why it makes sense to not use the same hardware? If you're going for a comparable experience then gaming grade parts are not acceptable. The people who buy Windows workstations would never buy a PC like that, it's just not how businesses operate.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Smaller by at least a factor of two, not more powerful.

Also, part-for-part it's actually not cheaper to build it. Without workstation grade stuff, yeah it is but the whole point is that it's a machine you can rely on 24/7.

Silverstone ft03 mini. Just as small.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'll buy a real trashcan, mount all the parts in the trashcan. Tadaaa, a bit cheaper and looks exactly the same.

I don't hate apple

Except I see an X79 board there and the Mac Pro has ECC RAM so it is using a C602 chipset. Also he didn't use workstation graphics cards so he is missing out on important workstation grade features.

He built a gaming rig. It's not a workstation. Professionals don't need that stuff, they need workstation grade hardware, which the Mac Pro offers. That build does not, it is just a really expensive gaming rig.

Did you even watch the video or read my comment? He clearly said that he is going with gaming cards over workstation ones because the PC is actually his own PC and he also wants to game.

With the money that he didn't use, he could easily upgrade to workstation grade hardware. Also what's wrong with X79? The processor is obviously superioir, as shown in his benchmarking videos against the 8 core MacPro from MKBHD.

Edit: just realized that you already filled another page of this thread with jibberish about workstation grade. I don't see the reason why somebody would want a MacPro over a PC with superior hardware. It can have all the thunderbolt ports in the world - which you need to plug a hard drive, or anything AT ALL into your Mac- but it will still be a little trashcan with a lot of performance. It has workstation grade hardware but it's not a Computer for a workstation. It's an overpriced fashion item for professionals.

I don't want to rebuild a Mac. If i wanted to copy a mac, i would just go out and buy one and install windows. If i wanted to beat a mac, I would take all that money, throw it at something with LGA 2011, two Titan Blacks (or quadros for the sake of argument) and throw noctuas all over the place. It will be much better performing, it will be customizable, a true workstation PC.

who cares...

Not as sexy as the 2012 mac pro. The new one looks like crap. 

Those things were HAWT. :wub:

All dat aluminum.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Do you even H440 M8?

The H440 isn't even that good.

Now the 750D...  :wub:

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

How is that epic?.... How is that even design?

Silverstone ft03 mini. Just as small.

What are you smoking? FT03 Mini-188.9mm(W)x 397mm(H)x235.1mm(D), Mac Pro-251mm(Height)x167mm(Diameter)

Did you even watch the video or read my comment? He clearly said that he is going with gaming cards over workstation ones because the PC is actually his own PC and he also wants to game.

With the money that he didn't use, he could easily upgrade to workstation grade hardware. Also what's wrong with X79? The processor is obviously superioir, as shown in his benchmarking videos against the 8 core MacPro from MKBHD.

Edit: just realized that you already filled another page of this thread with jibberish about workstation grade. I don't see the reason why somebody would want a MacPro over a PC with superior hardware. It can have all the thunderbolt ports in the world - which you need to plug a hard drive, or anything AT ALL into your Mac- but it will still be a little trashcan with a lot of performance. It has workstation grade hardware but it's not a Computer for a workstation. It's an overpriced fashion item for professionals.

I don't want to rebuild a Mac. If i wanted to copy a mac, i would just go out and buy one and install windows. If i wanted to beat a mac, I would take all that money, throw it at something with LGA 2011, two Titan Blacks (or quadros for the sake of argument) and throw noctuas all over the place. It will be much better performing, it will be customizable, a true workstation PC.

You aren't a professional or a workstation user, so you don't need workstation grade parts. Workstation grade CPUs and chipsets allow usage of ECC RAM and buffered/registered modules are guaranteed by their manufacturers not to fail, like WD Red hard drives are. Workstation grade graphics cards have features that consumer grade ones don't, which is why workstation graphics card are so critical in a workstation. 

You clearly don't know what workstation grade means, why it's important, or even what overpriced means. A truly comparable PC WOULD NOT USE GAMING GRADE PARTS. It would not be able to compete with a Mac Pro on the types of workloads that they are needed for, like SolidWorks and AutoCAD.

Overpriced would mean that there is a comparable solution for less. There isn't, this has been demonstrated before because Apple gets discounts from AMD on the cards, so please stop trying to convince me that a gaming machine is comparable. 

Companies buy workstations to use them, not customize them. Your customization fetish is not shared by the vast majority of users. It is customizable, and it will last far longer than your PC without upgrades because you attach PCIe components to it through the Thunderbolt 2 ports. You can change everything about it internally except the GPUs, upgrade the processor, SSD, and RAM. When better GPUs come out, you can attach them via Thunderbolt 2 and use them like that if you have to.

Professionals do not need to upgrade constantly the way gamers do. They upgrade as little as possible, because they don't want to run into the massive driver configuration and compatibility issues that you people put up with for the sake of having a cutting edge gaming machine. They do not upgrade their graphics card every year. They buy what they need when they get it and use it forever. Workstations are almost never replaced or upgraded because they are bought largely to do the same workload for a very long period of time, not to do increasingly more difficult workloads until they burn out from the stress.

You clearly are not a workstation user or a professional for that matter, so I have no clue why you're trying to tell me that gaming grade video cards have the features I need to run a SolidWorks workstation.

How is that epic?.... How is that even design?

How is that even design? There is no other PC on the market with that level of power that fits into a chassis like that. It only uses one fan as well. It has tons of engineering that went into it as well as design.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How is that even design? There is no other PC on the market with that level of power that fits into a chassis like that. It only uses one fan as well. It has tons of engineering that went into it as well as design.

Sure it's cool to put it in there in such a shape but how is that design? I find it butt ugly. That is my opinion I mean. Cylindrical shape doesn't attract me at all.

What are you smoking? FT03 Mini-188.9mm(W)x 397mm(H)x235.1mm(D), Mac Pro-251mm(Height)x167mm(Diameter)

About the same. If you look at them side by side, the ft03 mini is just a bit taller, and just a bit wider.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

About the same. If you look at them side by side, the ft03 mini is just a bit taller, and just a bit wider.

Nice massive font...

It is six inches taller and almost four inches wider. That's a lot. It also can't fit anywhere near the same parts that a Mac Pro has.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Nice massive font...

It is six inches taller and almost four inches wider. That's a lot. It also can't fit anywhere near the same parts that a Mac Pro has.

Woops. DIdnt mean massive font.

OK. BUt you can customise/upgrade it

Woops. DIdnt mean massive font.

OK. BUt you can customise/upgrade it

Same with the Mac Pro.

The only other parts you can change in that are the GPU and motherboard, workstation motherboards don't change as quickly as consumer ones do and I believe I've already said that pros do not do a lot of customizing or upgrading because they have very consistent workloads.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Same with the Mac Pro.

The only other parts you can change in that are the GPU and motherboard, workstation motherboards don't change as quickly as consumer ones do and I believe I've already said that pros do not do a lot of customizing or upgrading because they have very consistent workloads.

ok well im leaving.

I just came in here to say the ft03 mini was the same size. aparently it isnt. I have never seen a mac pro in real liofe so.

I dont know anything on this topic, so im out.

ok well im leaving.

I just came in here to say the ft03 mini was the same size. aparently it isnt. I have never seen a mac pro in real liofe so.

I dont know anything on this topic, so im out.

Bye :D

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

black sylinder with an apple slapped on it? What is so special?

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

black sylinder with an apple slapped on it? What is so special?

Way more powerful than any PC you could build of that size? Way cheaper than anything with comparable specs?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No point convincing "PC Enthusiasts" that unlike before, the current Mac Pro actually earns its dinner in performance and design. 

ID isn't cheap. But you're not paying as much for that anymore. Building a WORKSTATION computer on the Windows side is actually just as expensive if not more so right now. Thats just a fact. 

Professionals DO NOT swap out components like regular users. They have no need to. They do work. They don't game, they don't screw around; they pick a box and then run it into the ground. Windows, OSX; they don't care. They have specific programs to use, they use whatever machine fits their workflow better. 

Could be Mac, could be a DIY, could be a prebuilt Dell box; it could be all of the freaking above! Professionals don't bicker and argue about this crap, they pick what they need and what they know and they get their work done. 

One of my family members does TV production. I ask him what he uses. The newest component of his system is 3 years old. Everything is "ancient". He's running Quadros and a Xeon. He plans on burning that sucker out before even thinking of getting a new machine, even though better hardware clearly exists. Why? Because right now, the cost of upgrading wouldn't save him enough rendering time to make it worth purchasing; right now. Maybe that'll change in a generation or two and thats when he'll swap out to whatever system he figures he'll be on. 

Thats how pros work. 

They don't sit there saying "Oh you know, if I do this I can save 16 dollars on my build and if I skip that I can save another 3" in the highest pitched voice like they have a stick up their ass. People on this forum are too hung on on customizing PCs to realize that some enthusiasts and professionals just genuinely don't give a shit about that end of things. 

-snip-

All the pros are "burn it out before replacing it." They don't have time to. They're more busy doing whatever they are actually a professional at.

I've been trying to pound that into the heads of these numbskulls for the peat four pages but apparently they don't get that.

I've also shown that building a workstation costs just as much, and they keep linking to these builds with gaming graphics cards and extreme editions and shit.

Yes, I get it. You can build a better gaming machine for $3000 than the Mac Pro is. That's not the point. A workstation and a gaming rig are so far from being similar it's almost laughable.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

All the pros are "burn it out before replacing it." They don't have time to. They're more busy doing whatever they are actually a professional at.

I've been trying to pound that into the heads of these numbskulls for the peat four pages but apparently they don't get that.

I've also shown that building a workstation costs just as much, and they keep linking to these builds with gaming graphics cards and extreme editions and shit.

Yes, I get it. You can build a better gaming machine for $3000 than the Mac Pro is. That's not the point. A workstation and a gaming rig are so far from being similar it's almost laughable.

Yup, that is one group of the PC market that actually sends components to their graves because they genuinely burnt them out and killed them from continuous and strenuous use. Its not like enthusiasts who upgrade when they feel like it and still have working components. 

Professionals won't throw something out just because its old. 

Like you said, they don't have that kind of time to spare. If something breaks and they can't be assed to upgrade their system; they'll get the same component again. Driver issues, workflow issues; you name it. They don't need to deal with it. Their IT departments don't need to deal with it. 

ITs far easier to say, simply replace the motherboard that broke with an exact bloody copy than it is to redo the system and then work out any hardware kinks that crop up. Its why workstation grade hardware is validated to work with other workstation grade hardware, they know professionals literally don't have time to troubleshoot their systems to that degree. 

I very well know I can build a 3k system that spanks a Mac Pro for GAMING. But would I trust my work to it? Nope. I'll pay 3 times as much to get hardware that is 100% assured to work 24/7, to not fail for years under 24/7 use, and is backed by warranties and backend support that no consumer grade hardware would ever have. 

FFS, our own office is the same way. Each of our towers has the EXACT SAME internal spec, regardless of what work is being doing. Whether you're at the front desk or sitting in the lab; you all have the same workstation hardware. Something breaks? We have dozens of replacements waiting to go back in. The last time these guys did a systemwide upgrade was last year, all the office machines are running a single Firepro and Asus WS boards. Before that? They didn't touch their crap for nearly a decade. They like to minimize cost and maximize life. They like to be able to swap out stuff with the same stuff so no downtime issues or compatibility issues occur. Hell, the only reason they upgrade was because a new piece of software came out that was build with Windows 7 in mind, so they figured its time to change it all out. 

Gamers don't get that. They think professionals sit there swapping out crap every 6 months and sitting on Newegg to find the best price. thats a laughable idea.