AMD catalyst 14.7 is here: Also win8 support ends

brownninja97

AMD-Catalyst-driver.jpg

AMD rolled out version 14.7 RC (beta) of its Catalyst software suite. With this version, AMD discontinues support for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), and expects you to upgrade to Windows 8.1 (WDDM 1.3) for free, to continue receiving driver support. Older versions of Windows, namely Windows Vista and Windows 7, are unaffected. Catalyst 14.7 RC adds all the improvements of 14.6 RC, with added CrossFire performance for Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, improved CrossFire scaling at Ultra HD resolution for Assassins Creed IV. The driver also comes with a workaround for an issue faced by users of AOC U2868PQU display, who notice flickering on Radeon GPUs. In addition to the workaround, AMD recommends that you apply the latest firmware for your displays.

Basically with windows 8 they are stopping support, they want you to get windows 8.1 or die in a fire.

Remember its a beta driver so dont bitch out if there are glitches and if there are glitches then be sure to tell them to AMD.

Download now

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

im confused .1 is just a service package pretty much right ?

there shoudnt that big of a difference and say it wont work with 8 any more

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

it was changes to the UI, but Windows 8.1 Update 1 made more changes, and Windows 8.1 Update 2 will make more then both probably.

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

Meh, win8 was pretty much dead after the update1 of 8.1 and there is absolutely no reason to keep having win8.

Not a big deal.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

This is a RC? Which means the final version will come out in a few days like it did for 14.6?

I guess I may as well wait since I am not having any driver issues.

Meh, win8 was pretty much dead after the update1 of 8.1 and there is absolutely no reason to keep having win8.

Not a big deal.

And you "could" upgrade from 8 to 8.1 for free.

And you "could" upgrade from 8 to 8.1 for free.

Why the quotes? You really could if you had a genuine copy of win8.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

DirectX 11.2 is Windows 8.1 only which has tiled resources which would make a huuuuuge difference if devs start using it.(They already use it on Next Gen consoles)

RTX2070OC 

I love AMD's aproach to drivers:

Since all of them have a major issue, they release mostly beta drivers so that they can have the excuse for an error. Launching 2 whql driver set's a year ftw! And yes, im an AMD owner and have been for years, but their drivers are mostly pure bullshit that only bring some optimization for a new game and rarely fix any major issue.

I love AMD's aproach to drivers:

Since all of them have a major issue, they release mostly beta drivers so that they can have the excuse for an error. Launching 2 whql driver set's a year ftw! And yes, im an AMD owner and have been for years, but their drivers are mostly pure bullshit that only bring some optimization for a new game and rarely fix any major issue.

Pretty sure both Nvidia and AMD always have 1 beta out, and one stable release out.

I am annoyed that they still haven't fixed the corrupt mouse cursor glitch though. It's like 5 years old and still occurs several times a day.

Well sure both Nvidia and AMD always have 1 beta out, and one stable release out.

I am annoyed that they still haven't fixed the corrupt mouse cursor glitch though. It's like 5 years old and still occurs several times a day.

what glitch is that?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

And I'm still waiting for a solution against the atikmdag.sys BSOD driver bug on Win 7 :(

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

It's not supported, but I doubt it straight up won't work

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

what glitch is that?

When you drag the mouse cursor between monitors there is a chance that it will become corrupt. The one I usually get looks like this, but there are other variations as well (depends on the driver version I guess).

I've had this issue every since I started using multiple monitors. Look around the Internet I have found posts dating all the way back to 2001 with the same issue.

Here is a post from 2009 about it.

Here is a post from 2010 about it.

Here are two posts from 2013 about it.

And before you ask, I am currently on Catalyst 14.4 and it still happens.

AMD doesn't seem to care about it even though several thousands of people have been complaining for what appears to be 13 years now.

Well sure both Nvidia and AMD always have 1 beta out, and one stable release out.

That's not true at all. AMD always lanches alot of beta driver packs untill they release a whql driver.

look here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

Also, yea, i agree with you about the glitches. Alot of mobility 5770's always have black screen after 13.4. Mobility's 5650 have no video aceleration since 13.2 driver. These are just the ones i have personnal experience with, not to mention other deal-breaking bugs that drivers come out with. 

That said, its a pitty that AMD is so inconsistent with their drivers even tho they have good hardware!

When you drag the mouse cursor between monitors there is a chance that it will become corrupt. The one I usually get looks like this, but there are other variations as well (depends on the driver version I guess).

I've had this issue every since I started using multiple monitors. Look around the Internet I have found posts dating all the way back to 2001 with the same issue.

Here is a post from 2009 about it.

Here is a post from 2010 about it.

Here are two posts from 2013 about it.

And before you ask, I am currently on Catalyst 14.4 and it still happens.

AMD doesn't seem to care about it even though several thousands of people have been complaining for what appears to be 13 years now.

Im glad ive never seen that happen before, could it be that my custom windows cursor skin stops it from occuring.

Listen if you care.

This is a RC? Which means the final version will come out in a few days like it did for 14.6?

I guess I may as well wait since I am not having any driver issues.

There never was a "stable" 14.6, last stable is 14.4

I would bet the next stable will be 14.8, maybe 14.9

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Why the quotes? You really could if you had a genuine copy of win8.

on the Retail editions you could, copies through MSDN (like mine) you couldn't, or couldn't at the time of 8.1's release.

edit - I don't know if you were to install a copy of Win 8 now, if you still can. hence the "could" why you would install 8 when 8.1 is available I don't know.

on the Retail editions you could, copies through MSDN (like mine) you couldn't, or couldn't at the time of 8.1's release.

edit - I don't know if you were to install a copy of Win 8 now, if you still can. hence the "could" why you would install 8 when 8.1 is available I don't know.

I have my copy from MSDN and i can tell you,you can..

Is there a reason to be on Windows 8 when 8.1 is out? No, but I just think that this isn't enough reason to just stop supporting it.

W8 isn't very old, and a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of people don't update their software like the rest of us does.

Just because its stupid to be on W8, doesn't make it right for AMD to just leave those people open to security issues.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

So you guys can download 10GB-20GB games but not 3GB+ update?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Is there a reason to be on Windows 8 when 8.1 is out? No, but I just think that this isn't enough reason to just stop supporting it.

W8 isn't very old, and a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of people don't update their software like the rest of us does.

Just because its stupid to be on W8, doesn't make it right for AMD to just leave those people open to security issues.

What security issues? These are AMD GPU drivers not Windows security patches. Also it's not like it's hard to update to 8.1 unless you own a pirated copy, if so then tough luck. Besides, If you really want the latest Catalyst and you're still on 8, there's nothing stopping you from updating to 8.1.

they want you to get windows 8.1 or die in a fire.

Presumably started by a Radeon 290X.