Peculiar Skullgirls message confuses, catches those who pirate the game

Dietrichw

Source

h2w7niS.png

"What's the square root of a fish?" asked the fighting game Skullgirls to a bewildered player. Unfamiliar with aquatic arithmetic the confused player, Twitter user SaikyoChamp, asked the developer what was up with this peculiar query.

As it turns out, the answer is thus: "It means you should probably buy the game instead of pirate it."

For the Skullgirls developer placed this perplexing message as a trap, so those ensnared by it would ask for help online and reveal themselves as pirates.

This isn't the first time a developer has placed hidden traps in pirated copies of their game. Last year the developer of Game Dev Tycoon made it so those who pirated the game would inevitably lose because in-game pirates would illegally download the in-game game they were developing. Oh the ironing.

I don't understand how it finds pirates...

Also, surprised the dev reacted in such a cool fashion.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

thats why you should download from well known uploaders guys

dont fall for this stupid shit

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't understand how it finds pirates...

Also, surprised the dev reacted in such a cool fashion.

because they will ask about it so anyone who asks about it pirated the game

because they will ask about it so anyone who asks about it pirated the game

But what if someone bought the game? Does the message still appear and if so, how do they distinguish the pirates from the customers? Because, if I bought this game (I wouldn't even consider it) I would definitely want the answer just out of curiosity. I would be very pissed if someone then accused me of being a pirate, especially from the likes of a developer.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

But what if someone bought the game? Does the message still appear and if so, how do they distinguish the pirates from the customers? Because, if I bought this game (I wouldn't even consider it) I would definitely want the answer just out of curiosity. I would be very pissed if someone then accused me of being a pirate, especially from the likes of a developer.

no.. only those that pirated that copy would get it

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

no.. only those that pirated that copy would get it

Oh, okay, makes more sense that way. Though I wonder how they designed it to appear when pirated...oh well, pretty tricky of them. lol

Oh, okay, makes more sense that way. Though I wonder how they designed it to appear when pirated...oh well, pretty tricky of them. lol

Probably some form of checksum.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

"I'm sorry. I kinda did a trybeforeyoubuy thing. I already bought it on PS3 and I'm planning on buying it for Steam, soon," SaikyoChamp stated in his defense. "I was about to buy it this morning BUT GAMESTOP DOESN'T SELL IT DIRECTLY ONLINE AND I DON'T WANNA LEAVE MY HOUSE!!!"

I find his excuse funny and not making any sense.  He says he was going to buy it for steam than goes on to say he couldn't buy it because Gamestop doesn't sell it online?  If it's available for steam pretty sure he can buy it online in steam..... unless of course something happened to steam that I didn't know about and they stopped selling games.

Of course I'm pretty sure he panicked for being caught and tried to come up with some random excuse

Yeah this is all fine and dandy until you tell everyone that's how you find out whose a pirate.

Why not just google it? I mean, if you pirated it, at least don't contact the devs, at least out of shame if nothing else. These entitled retards...

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."