Improvements to OEM companies like Dell

brownninja97

So my uncle has become a community guy(just under community manager) for Dell. He knows that i know experience with computers and im on forums quite a lot. So what do you think OEM companies like Dell do can to improve their products. This can be anything like a Fuck EA badge or a better case or better gpus whatever. What do you think can become better with OEM companies. This is more towards the gaming area of them like Alienware computers.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Alienwares are over prised, but that's ok because people still buy them because they look sweet.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Make atx alienware cases, i love the look of them, just not the price

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Also a fuck ea badge would be nice :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Alienware is overpriced.

That's it, it can have nice hardware inside it and the layout of a Alienware computer is decent, but the price is just an eyesore, cut down on the price and more people will buy.

*edit

Forgot to add, I would LOVE to see more laptops with dual hard drive bays, 1080p screen, and it not look like crap.

I can get a 1080p, dual hard drive bay, fully customizable laptop with GT650m and i3/i5 CPU for around $700. Dell, can you match that? Cause so far, most of your laptops are still single bay with a 1366x768 resolution.

Well recently to my knowledge dell removed the build your own computer option so they could bring that back also more case options and like everyone else says lower prices

Fan Junkie

Offering more customizability, and making systems more balanced. For example, the inclusion of a GT 620 in some desktops seems unnecessary, since it doesn't really bring anything to gaming and just adds cost. I also haven't seen any desktops come with an SSD in them.

On the laptop side there isn't a good degree of customizability, but then again this seems to be a problem across multiple manufacturers.

I actually work for Dell Equallogic in New Hampshire, but I think my computer is custom-built by Dell.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

-No more crapware/trialware to slow down the system.  

-A real windows install disc

-no proprietary parts as far as mobo/psu/and case connector's go.  

-tech support from the country you live in i.e. no longer out sourcing 

Ya, the proprietary parts have to go, so if you wish to upgrade, you can do so.

Stop charging INSANE amounts for parts like SSD or "better" GPUs.

Give a choice of SSDs [brandwise]

Get a real techsupport, not some people barely speaking your language at the phone reading a sheet "if" "else".

The home technical support needs to know what they are doing, as in my brother's case [i sat right next to it] I had to tell the guy where the cables go...

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Even components. My last dell had a Intel 860 Quad core paired with a Nvidia GT 210. Very uneven system. I would have like to have i5 CPU instead and a better GPU. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

General guidelines for PCs would be:

Optimize for silence

put on a decent CPU heatsink (something like a hyper 212)

don't put something like a GT640 in; get a 7770 at the very least

Don't charge stupid amounts for it

So what do you think OEM companies like Dell do can to improve their products. This can be anything like a Fuck EA badge

I would say apply the later to the former. Anyone here buying a Dell should just close their account.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I would say apply the later to the former. Anyone here buying a Dell should just close their account.

Im trying to help people that dont have the ability to make there own computers. This is quite a big market as parents dont normally trust so much money is the hands of their children

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I ran into a tier 1 system recently that won't finish POST if you change the boot drive. Stuff like that needs to go.

General guidelines for PCs would be:

Optimize for silence

put on a decent CPU heatsink (something like a hyper 212)

don't put something like a GT640 in; get a 7770 at the very least

Don't charge stupid amounts for it

the xps 8500 sells a 7770 in the UK. The nvidia card is there for marketing as it is cheaper and more people know nvidia for editing which is the audience that the xps range aims towards

Listen if you care.

I ran into a tier 1 system recently that won't finish POST if you change the boot drive. Stuff like that needs to go.

What would you consider a tier 1 product. I haven't had problems in the past so this may be a bad case of luck.

Listen if you care.

How to improve sales? Sell the Alienware case seperately, yeah you heard me right.

They look pretty good actually, but the hardware is complete crap for the price

Offering more customizability, and making systems more balanced. For example, the inclusion of a GT 620 in some desktops seems unnecessary, since it doesn't really bring anything to gaming and just adds cost. I also haven't seen any desktops come with an SSD in them.

On the laptop side there isn't a good degree of customizability, but then again this seems to be a problem across multiple manufacturers.

I actually work for Dell Equallogic in New Hampshire, but I think my computer is custom-built by Dell.

This is pure marketing as people see a gpu instead of integrated and think its awesome straight away. I even fell for it getting an i3 2120 with a radeon 2120. About a week after i got the computer I started learning about them. By that time it was too late.

Listen if you care.

How to improve sales? Sell the Alienware case seperately, yeah you heard me right.

amen to  that

Listen if you care.

Actually this is done via a person on ebay that takes spare cases and sells them. A alienware aurora r4 case can go for up to £250. Ive seen one go for this(bet they thought it was pre built bad lluck) But yes if this was a better price more people would buy them

Listen if you care.

Ya, the proprietary parts have to go, so if you wish to upgrade, you can do so.

Stop charging INSANE amounts for parts like SSD or "better" GPUs.

Give a choice of SSDs [brandwise]

Get a real techsupport, not some people barely speaking your language at the phone reading a sheet "if" "else".

The home technical support needs to know what they are doing, as in my brother's case [i sat right next to it] I had to tell the guy where the cables go...

Remember many people getting Dell computers have little knowledge but an SSD is like a crazy gift from god. People are quite willing to pay the money for them. But yes the price should go down.

Listen if you care.

Actually this is done via a person on ebay that takes spare cases and sells them. A alienware aurora r4 case can go for up to £250. Ive seen one go for this(bet they thought it was pre built bad lluck) But yes if this was a better price more people would buy them

250 pounds... Yeah that kinda makes it a tad on the 'way too pricey' side of things

-No more crapware/trialware to slow down the system.  

-A real windows install disc

-no proprietary parts as far as mobo/psu/and case connector's go.  

-tech support from the country you live in i.e. no longer out sourcing 

Dell gets paid a ton for that rubbish so it has to stay. Its like the adblock thing and linus, no sacrifice and no victory.

Listen if you care.

250 pounds... Yeah that kinda makes it a tad on the 'way too pricey' side of things

WOuld have been funny if it was some kid thinking he got a deal and then the parents are like WHAT THE HELL

Listen if you care.