PWM pump or non

I received my new PC on Saturday, it has a full watercooling loop in it and a PWM EK pump. I noticed that the PWM header was not plugged in to the motherboard. So I plugged this in myself, now without it it runs at lowest setting and all is fine, but when I plug it in and do stress tests on the computer the pump ramps up but this causes a LOT of bubbles to come in through the loop. I've tried leaving it on for a while to get rid of the bubbles but it seems as tho the bubbles enter back in to the loop via the pump. Should I keep the PWM on or unplug it again? are these bubbles from air trapped in the loop or is the pump creating it from running too fast? :S

edit: does the pump running faster improve temps at all? as I didn't notice much of a difference

The specs and pictures of my PC can be found here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/174740-i7-4790k-overclocked-watercooled-in-a-corsair-750d/#entry2323876

I received my new PC on Saturday, it has a full watercooling loop in it and a PWM EK pump. I noticed that the PWM header was not plugged in to the motherboard. So I plugged this in myself, now without it it runs at lowest setting and all is fine, but when I plug it in and do stress tests on the computer the pump ramps up but this causes a LOT of bubbles to come in through the loop. I've tried leaving it on for a while to get rid of the bubbles but it seems as tho the bubbles enter back in to the loop via the pump. Should I keep the PWM on or unplug it again? are these bubbles from air trapped in the loop or is the pump creating it from running too fast? :S

The specs and pictures of my PC can be found here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/174740-i7-4790k-overclocked-watercooled-in-a-corsair-750d/#entry2323876

looks like it still has bubbles in the loop, if you run the pump at its max setting then move the pc about very gently, you should be able to make most of the bubbles go to the res, where they can be released

looks like it still has bubbles in the loop, if you run the pump at its max setting then move the pc about very gently, you should be able to make most of the bubbles go to the res, where they can be released

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to finish unless there is a HUGE amount of air. I've even tried turning the PC upside down! lol

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to finish unless there is a HUGE amount. I've even tried turning the PC upside down! lol

leave it on for a few days then, or even overnight. i am assuming this is a D5 Vario? if it is unplug the PWM and then run at it max speed overnight

leave it on for a few days then, or even overnight. i am assuming this is a D5 Vario? if it is unplug the PWM and then run at it max speed overnight

This is what I have:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-d5-pwm-motor-%2812v-dc-pwm-pump-motor%29

Edit: so even at the maximum speed there should be no bubbles? Also will the pump sucking in those bubbles damage the pump?

edit: does the pump running faster improve temps at all? as I didn't notice much of a difference

You can also try to open the fill port on your res (assume it has one) while you have the pump on max  and that should also help bleed the air (bubbles) out of your system.

In terms of cooling performance - Once you reach a certain flow rate you will not get any better temps however lower flow rates can result in the system being harder to bleed. Its only beneficial to increase flow rate if it is very low. Usually the rule of thumb is that you want around 1 GPM but tests have shown flow rates of as low as .7 GPM will offer the same cooling, it is generally only under this number that cooling capacity starts to drop off

Its actually a different pump to the vario, doesnt have a speed control switch but rather uses PWM. Usually they are more expensive than the vario model.

You can also try to open the fill port on your res (assume it has one) while you have the pump on max  and that should also help bleed the air (bubbles) out of your system.

In terms of cooling performance - Once you reach a certain flow rate you will not get any better temps however lower flow rates can result in the system being harder to bleed. Its only beneficial to increase flow rate if it is very low. Usually the rule of thumb is that you want around 1 GPM but tests have shown flow rates of as low as .7 GPM will offer the same cooling, it is generally only under this number that cooling capacity starts to drop off

Its actually a different pump to the vario, doesnt have a speed control switch but rather uses PWM. Usually they are more expensive than the vario model.

It's safe to open the fill port while the system is running?

Yeah you'll be fine as long as water isn't splashing out everywhere

yes, I second the recommendation.  You need to open the fill port for the bubbles to escape.  Leave it running overnight and with the fill port open to release the little bubbles.  The PWM pump is better to regulate the speed.  It works as needed and is better IMHO.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

yes, I second the recommendation.  You need to open the fill port for the bubbles to escape.  Leave it running overnight and with the fill port open to release the little bubbles.  The PWM pump is better to regulate the speed.  It works as needed and is better IMHO.

Thanks, so the plan is to open the port put pump at 100% and leave over night?

Thanks, so the plan is to open the port put pump at 100% and leave over night?

yes.  Honestly, even if it is a couple of hours with a shake/tilt every hour while your watching a movie or something will be fine.  If you are able to go into the bios and vary the speed at different intervals it will help.  I usually bleed my systems for about 2-4 hours.  On a complicated system with multiple blocks like dual or triple GPUs and multiple rads I will do it for a longer period of time.  Each connection is a possible place for air to get trapped.  

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Yeah as others have said will be fine just be careful if tilting or it is really turbulent in your res. If you are concerned though you can actually get air release valves that us a g 1/4 fitting and just screw into your fill port normally. Not sure how effective they are though vs just opening the port up. Guess you can just leave them in your system so it will be constantly bleeding until all the air is out.  

yes.  Honestly, even if it is a couple of hours with a shake/tilt every hour while your watching a movie or something will be fine.  If you are able to go into the bios and vary the speed at different intervals it will help.  I usually bleed my systems for about 2-4 hours.  On a complicated system with multiple blocks like dual or triple GPUs and multiple rads I will do it for a longer period of time.  Each connection is a possible place for air to get trapped.  

Yeah as others have said will be fine just be careful if tilting or it is really turbulent in your res. If you are concerned though you can actually get air release valves that us a g 1/4 fitting and just screw into your fill port normally. Not sure how effective they are though vs just opening the port up. Guess you can just leave them in your system so it will be constantly bleeding until all the air is out.  

Yeah you'll be fine as long as water isn't splashing out everywhere

I left it on overnight and it was still bubbling in the morning lol! not quite sure what's going on. the turbulence was creating a lot of bubbles so I titled it to the side so the bubbles don't go in to the pump but still no luck :( The water in the reservoir has only gone down a tiny amount not very noticeable.

Can you post a video showing how much bubbles are still coming. I think he problem is the front rad. With the inlet and outlet on the bottom there is going to be air trapped at the top most part of the rad. I know you have a bleed valve on the top so you might need to carefully and quickly loosen that and quickly tighten it up again to try to get some of the trapped air out. You will need to have the computer and pump off. Other than that I'm stumped. You could turn the front rad around if that doesn't work.

Can you post a video showing how much bubbles are still coming. I know you have a bay res but you might need to consider a tube res.

I'll make a video when I get home, the problem is when the fan goes high, there are so many bubbles inside the resevoir goes like a storm all white and you can barely see inside!!!