Popcorn Time is coming to the Chromecast

TopWargamer

Source: http://gizmodo.com/popcorn-times-netflix-for-torrents-is-coming-to-chrom-1601100023?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Now, you'll be able to stream movies to your Chromecast so you can watch movies on a big screen with no wires. Today, the Windows version of the app with Chromecast support is in alpha, and the shadowy team says that Mac and Android support for Chromecast is on the way too. Development has been moving very fast so we'd expect updates in the near future. Keep on keeping on you magnificent coders.

I still think Zona is a better product, but what does Zona not have? Chromecast support. This is a killer feature for a lot of people. I didn't think that it would come to the Chromecast, and it probably wouldn't have been a big deal if it didn't, but it's still nice to see Chromecast support for it.

I'd try it out, but I don't own a Chromecast, unfortunately. If any of you have a Chromecast, try it out and let us know how it works.

COMIC SANS

is this the time4popcorn one? if so, not interested. get-popcorn is the legiter one.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

is this the time4popcorn one? if so, not interested. get-popcorn is the legiter one.

Yes, it is the Time4Popcorn one.

COMIC SANS

Yes, it is the Time4Popcorn one.

not interested. they are doing some shady looking stuff, like they are getting ready to centralise and inject something soon...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

not interested. they are doing some shady looking stuff, like they are getting ready to centralise and inject something soon...

Uses Get-popcorn's Popcorn Time.

Starts Movie stream. Leaves it paused.

Finds the download (it's in appdata in a hidden folder). Drag & drops it into Chrome with VLC's extension installed.

Enables Tabbed Chrome casting (because full screen casting blows). 

-winning-

Repeats process with Zona (download is in wherever you sent it)

-doubly winning-

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Uses Get-popcorn's Popcorn Time.

Starts Movie stream. Leaves it paused.

Finds the download (it's in appdata in a hidden folder). Drag & drops it into Chrome with VLC's extension installed.

Enables Tabbed Chrome casting (because full screen casting blows). 

-winning-

Repeats process with Zona (download is in wherever you sent it)

-doubly winning-

but fullscreen is awesome :o no borders, nothing

but fullscreen is awesome :o no borders, nothing

... No.

When I have a video playing in a Chrome Tab with VLC's extension, I can full screen it and it take up 100% of whatever I'm casting to. So it's full screen from that perspective.

However, I have found that Chrome's Fullscreen casting feature (which is admittedly in Beta), makes the video choppy, the sound tinny, and the experience just generally terrible. I tested it with legit HD rips, so I know it wasn't the seeds or the source file itself.

In fact, I had this weird issue with my Chromecast at one point where tabbed casting would make the image be almost entirely pink on the destination device, so I was forced to use full screen casting or have no casting at all, so I have a bit of experience with it's watering down of quality effect.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... No.

When I have a video playing in a Chrome Tab with VLC's extension, I can full screen it and it take up 100% of whatever I'm casting to. So it's full screen from that perspective.

However, I have found that Chrome's Fullscreen casting feature (which is admittedly in Beta), makes the video choppy, the sound tinny, and the experience just generally terrible. I tested it with legit HD rips, so I know it wasn't the seeds or the source file itself.

In fact, I had this weird issue with my Chromecast at one point where tabbed casting would make the image be almost entirely pink on the destination device, so I was forced to use full screen casting or have no casting at all, so I have a bit of experience with it's watering down of quality effect.

or you can just, you know, hook up your TV to a lappy and play like that ;)

or you can just, you know, hook up your TV to a lappy and play like that ;)

^Assuming I own a laptop. Or any mobile device besides a phone for that matter.

† Christian Member †

^Assuming I own a laptop. Or any mobile device besides a phone for that matter.

true, but a lappy is way more common than any other device, besides a phone. 

also, you could always run a cable from your desktop

why bother with these

use utorrent 

download a legal video u want to watch

and press the damn stream button

its that simple and works everytime

popcorn is still somewhat broken

cant resize vids etc

zona has vids in russian titles most of the time

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

true, but a lappy is way more common than any other device, besides a phone. 

also, you could always run a cable from your desktop

True, but I'm the extreme. I live 3 minutes driving distance from work. I don't have a social life and my town has nothing worth going out for except food. If I didn't need to call/be called by people, I wouldn't even have a phone. 

A 50' HDMI cord would be unnecessary I think. My room is my man cave type thing. My nieces/nephew prefer to watch TV in the living room, which I'm fine with. I just don't want to run an uber long cord there or lug my desktop. :P

I know. I know. Very specific situation. 

† Christian Member †

really want to buy a chromecast but I do not have the money for it because I want to use it with my Plex account

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520