Advantages of overclocking?

The overclock brings some fps more, but anyway if you think is a waste of time/resources/money why buying a liquid cooled unlocked cpu? Overclocking is not effective in few cases...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Who told you it wouldn't do anything for gaming?

It's pretty much free performance. 

Some games will profit more than others from it. 

Some people on this forum told me it wouldn't do anything for gaming, just video editing and other CPU intensive tasks.

It does help. Whether a few more fps is worth the money for a k processor, CPU cooler, and Z board that is up to you. Some people do it for fun, other because it helps in many tasks other than gaming. Some people just do it for benchmarks and the numbers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Some people on this forum told me it wouldn't do anything for gaming, just video editing and other CPU intensive tasks.

Some games are CPU intensive, for example Battlefield and Minecraft.

Some games are CPU intensive, for example Battlefield and Minecraft.

I plan on playing games such as Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Watch Dogs, etc.

It depends on the game, some games get more performance when you overclock

It is free performance...games like far cry 3 get a nice boost when you overclock your cpu (check the new pentium benchmarks) while others not so much.

I plan on playing games such as Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Watch Dogs, etc.

Battlefield 4 and Hardline are essentially the same thing, but anyway you will benefit from overclocking so it's just free extra performance.

overclocking the CPU will give you a slight boost in FPS in games but only if you are in a CPU intensive game where your CPU is your limiting factor, if you are GPU bound then you will get exactly ZERO more FPS even if you overclock the CPU or upgrade it to something faster...

watch dogs defenetly CPU bound game where overclocking your CPU will help, all the others NO boost from overclocking unless you play dual titans and aim for 120FPS.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Depends on your gfx cards.

If your running medium/high end GPUs your overclock will improve fps but you won't notice it.

Overclocking in my opinion if for fun, posterity, and tasks like video encoding where time = money.

I've heard that overclocking the CPU does nothing for gaming, so why overclock? I have the 4790K and H100i.

Just think: If your GPU isn't bottlenecking your cpu at all, the more your cpu can process, the better for the game. It's, as mentioned, free performance. Ofc that with the cpu that you have some games won't even put your cpu at 100% but complex ones will. But yeah, most of the difference will come from CPU intensive tasks as video transcoding and stuff such as that.

Again, you having that beast CPU and that awesome cooler, you should overclock, otherwise it would be kinda a waste of hardware (u could have bought low end i5 with stock cooler).

I've heard that overclocking the CPU does nothing for gaming, so why overclock? I have the 4790K and H100i.

dude you have the best cpu and cooler for overclocking just get a overclocking motherboored and push that baby to 4.9 ghz 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)