The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

Well am I wrong?

Look at the specs...:\ No one takes into consideration thin and lightness or battery life these days..

I'm not arguing against you, and you need to stop responding and let this thread die.

This shit crops up every few days. No one learns or cares, so stop trying to convince anyone. This isn't the forum for it, and anyone who agrees doesn't even care cause they already bought what they wanted. 

I said earlier the value is based on the user, i just wanted to se if he could change my mind

Thats why I did not compare any ultrabooks 

U compared a few notebooks, the Probook definitely isnt as well priced as the rMBP tho.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I'm not arguing against you, and you need to stop responding and let this thread die.

This shit crops up every few days. No one learns or cares, so stop trying to convince anyone. This isn't the forum for it, and anyone who agrees doesn't even care cause they already bought what they wanted. 

Oh I thought u were.

Alright.

THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE WE STILL EVEN TALKING ABOUT NOTEBOOKS!?!?!!

Because they are all portable; if you are going to cry about difference in size(btw OP's comparison chart had smaller/lighter laptops compared to macbook) then you are going to get a windows machine anyway.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Most if not everyone I know and work with has a laptop. Those that have their own desktops? Count on one hand, because its not some standard anymore.

This website is not a representation of the real world. Far from it. this is the 0.01% of the 1%. If that is your basis for "standard" you have no idea what you're on about

What kind of work do they do on their laptops?

I am pretty sure everything they do on their laptops could be done much much MUCH better on a desktop, or equally well on a much cheaper laptop.

What kind of work do they do on their laptops?

Secured patient files, database access, patient billing, accessing imaging results; stuff that doesn't require a desktop in any capacity.

Stuff that as a on call kind of employee, you prefer having something portable instead of a desktop, especially since on any given day I can be at half a dozen hospitals in the span of 4 hours to do work. 

Cheaper? Sure. But  I don't judge the preferences of doctors who make high 6 to 7 figures a year and their choice in hardware. They buy what platform they like using, and they use it. Some have XPS 12s, some have Airs, some have Thinkpads, some even use Surfaces. I carry around a ancient as balls Thinkpad (from the supply closet) back from when they were still called IBMs.

In the real world, specs and price to performance and all these metrics that we think have value suddenly mean nothing. Weird, in real life people don't argue or debate over genuinely meaningless crap like this.

Macs are the worse thing ever, horribly overpriced and incompetent in my opinion

MacBook Pros on the other hand... I wouldn't mind owning one (even better if it had dedicated graphics)

I currently have a MBP 13 inch 2010, which I use for my studies and it is a very good computer. I do run some light games (Minecraft, TF2, Flight sims, driving sims, etc.) Would I recommend a Mac over a comparable Razer for gaming, of course not. But for just productivity stuff and creative, a mac is fine for that. I would really like NVidia Graphics instead of intel in the rest of the MBP line, something comparable to the iris pro, but not be integrated. In my opinion the GPU really should have its own VRAM, and having only an Iris Pro in a $2k laptop is a bit ridiculous, and I honestly don't like having to pay 2400 dollars just to get a macbook with an NVidia chip. Anyway, I don't think the Macbooks are overpriced. If I may add something else, the support that you get with a mac as compared to another computer is outstanding, which would be worth a certain premium in my opinion.

Honestly, if I was in the market for a new laptop, the retina MacBook Pro 13 or 15 inch would be on my short list of laptops to consider. I have a nice desktop at home, so I don't need eye bleedingly fast gaming performance. Apple's aesthetics and build quality is second to none in my eyes. Plus their hinges are perfect. I don't understand why nobody else can make laptop hinges as good as apple.

In the US ,yes.They might work.

Considering the same 13" Retina MBP costs $1500 in the US and $2250 here,I'd say they won't work here at all.The same applies to the 15", $2000 in the US, $2900here.

Yay. 

(taking these prices from the biggest online shop in my country)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I plan on getting a retina macbook pro for my next laptop because I don't need a gaming laptop when I have a custom built desktop. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Peoples mind will get blown when they realize that only a minorty uses their laptops for games and other gpu intensive tasks.

I warn you!!!

MINDS WILL EXPLODE!!!!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Here is a something which to all logical people would stop flame wars.

Buy what you want not what people tell you to buy.

If you want to buy it do so, if not, don't.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

In this thread, I will be comparing popular ultrabooks/notebooks including: Macbook Pro with Retina Display 13in and 15in, Razer Blade, Asus Zenbook, and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

Here's a chart I made:

Looking at this, I still don't see why people find Macbooks to be so overpriced :\ . Like seriously, they are actually very competitively priced spec for spec in this chart. And besides specs, the support is awesome.

While looking up all the specs, I realized something: Intel, why the hell are the prices for your mobile chips so damn expensive...

BTW if someone can tell me how to make a chart within the post, tell me.

problem being the mac pro uses intel integrated graphics or pro grade stuff like the firegl series from amd and quadro from nvidia. comparable yes performance for gaming ... Non existant!

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

@Victorious Secret

I know almost noone who has a laptop, those that do, complain that they aren't desktops. We just live in two different worlds.

But I'm still right, the majority market holder in the computer world, is desktop computers, i'm not paying MORE for a form factor that gives you LESS computer, which is essentially how laptops work. Just like a porsche, the more you pay, the less you actually get. With porsche, the more expensive cars dont have AC, dont have nice interiors, they take more and more out to make the car light weight because it makes the car perform better, unfortunately for computers, taking more out, makes them worse. As such, I will never buy a laptop.

When they can make a laptop, thats priced in such a way that I'm not paying for the form factor, then I will buy a laptop. Sure thats unrealistic by your point of view, but that's simply where we differ as consumers.

HOWEVER Victorious is correct in that this is essentially a nerd specific arguement. I won't disagree with that at all lol.

NOW! BACK TO THE RUM!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

mind-blown1.gif?w=479

Then why would you spend so much.

as I said before, there is more to a good laptop than just a fast cpu and gpu ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

no its not, to build a pc with the same specs at that size you will pay about the same maybe a little less, there has been some comparisons 

Comparing laptops to desktops, are we? Smarter people than you have tried that and failed.

You pay $1000+ for a laptop with a integrated intel GPU.

Well, most people don't need better than an Iris integrated, for Photoshop and the like.

Similar specs for this devices start at 600, as you go up and add things like more storage, better screens, etc. You start matching or exceeded Apple prices. However the decisive factor here is that with a PC you can say "Why would I need a touch screen on a laptop?" or "Yeah give me a hybrid sshd or dual drives I need more space" or even "I'm ok with a TN 720p screen if it's going to save me 300 bucks" etc. You get that all so important choice.

I don't actually blame people who do not want to think about this stuff and decide "Whatever Apple decides is good for me, that's what I'm going with" In fact for most consumers without a very real budget constrain, I'd recommend it: just buy a macbook pro. What I dislike is people pretending that they don't pay a price premium because of that, to me that's just a rationalization.

While you make the point of choice, what you forget is that still, dollar for dollar, you're not getting worse hardware from Apple. In most cases, you're getting better. Try and find another 13" 2560*1600 display in a laptop with 8GB of ram and a core i5 with nine hours of battery life for $1499. You literally can't do it. I've tried many times.

The problem people seem to have with these comparisons to Apple products is not factoring in preference. Obviously a big issue is people constantly saying the products are overpriced which for quite some time they were. However even if they aren't anymore there is no point to constantly bringing it up and defending or bashing the product. People will use what they want to use, a lot of people do not like Apple designs and do not like what they get for the asking price. That is fine and that is their choice, Windows laptops are just as good as Macs when it comes to designing rather than gaming. I have used both extensively and found only subtle differences in UI and no difference in performance. The point being, people will use what they prefer and stating they should use something because you think it's better is ridiculous. These threads really need to stop being created.

I mean, aside from the fact that Windows has done nothing but change the look of their interface since Vista to the point of breaking it with Windows 8, sure. I don't notice any differences either.

Of course he would have troubles installing OS X, it was not on officially supported hardware

He's never taken the time to actually try and switch to a MacBook before, plus u can always install windows

dude that's me too. My parents are buying me a mac when I get a 2000 on the SAT but I need to wait for Broadwell... The sad thing is that the Broadwell version will be better than my i5 2500k..

You can do it bro! 2000 is easier than you realize if you can manage to see through the test. I'm sure you know already that longer essays get you a higher score on average, etc.

9 hour battery is haswell. Most competitors have now beaten the screen resolution. Mac's are stable because apple restricts hardware and only develops and optimises OSX for certain platforms, which screams of laziness to me. Workstation grade hardware is on the Mac Pro, be careful not to mix them up. You are paying for aluminium, the kind you get from a can of coke, and the same portability and style a chromebook can give you.

It's absolutely amazing for an OSX experience, I would get one over an imac or a mac pro, but you can't justify it's cost other than by saying 'you can't get a REAL mac without spending this much' which is what everyone's problem is with apple's products. Hence I will stick to my windows machines.

Nine hour battery is not just Haswell. Try to find other similarly specced Wintel machines that actually realistically run for nine hours. The Surface Pro 3 really only gets 6-8, and that's with the i5 in it. TekSyndicate verified this themselves. Nine hour battery comes from maximizing the size because it's non removable and internal.

y no 2400 perfect score?

Plus, I just can't use OSX no matter what. The application support is still a bit lacking and oversimplified (which I guess is good for people who aren't as tech savvy) Plus, I don't like wasting part of my already valuable ssd space on OSX which im never gonna use. And drivers are never going to be as up to date since (to my knowledge) must be from Apple. Could be wrong about the drivers though.

Not to mention the silver and white theme has become so overstated that it literally has become an eyesore (no offense, just IMO) and playing to get it custom done like what (MKBHD did) would be too costly for an already expensive device. 

Razer Blade is more my thing because I do game alot and that that 870M (even though i'm a AMD type of guy, mobile side, theres really only Nvidia as an option) is nice to have. Not to mention touchscreen has been actually surprisingly useful for me in Windows 8 (even though I can't stand Metro UI) for productivity and general file browsing (nothing to say about the types of files)

Whatever floats your boats I guess. I don't recommend the MBP mostly because the people who ask me for high end laptop recommendations are into gaming.

All these people talking about oversimplified...as if there are things you can do on Windows that you can't do faster on OS X. Development, for instance. I don't know a lot of people who develop from the command line on Windows using emacs and gcc, but it's perfectly feasible on a Mac because it is a UNIX compatible system. It's also mostly open source. The only closed source components are the UI, the application framework, and Quartz Compositor, (along with a few much smaller devices such as apps and security implementations.) That may sound like a lot to you, but install a headless Linux distro and you will discover just how miniscule a part of the operating system those things are. Hell, they even pay to make the Safari rendering engine open source, on top of funding FreeBSD development and frequently hiring their engineers.

I wonder if in a year or two, if it will still be "not overpriced", considering how notorious Apple is at never decreasing the price of their stuff over time.

Apple stuff are only a good buy at the time of release, a year later, it's no longer good enough for the price they are asking.

They actually frequently lower the price. Case in point, they just revved the MacBook Airs and now you can get all of them for a hundred bucks less. How's that for a price drop?

TL;DR inb4thelock and on top of that, I have no clue how you people managed to spend 16 pages and over 300 posts arguing over facts, but please while posting try and remember what the OP actually said. He revealed an empirical fact, he didn't say Macs were better, nor did he say Windows sucks. He showed that Mac hardware is no longer, if it ever was, overpriced with perfect scientific detail and objectivity. That's less than any of you people have done in this thread and you should be ashamed of yourselves for it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There are good laptops that don't cost so much though, granted you get what you pay for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231876

Probably going to get this to replace my chromebook and stick a 64/128gb ssd in it 

Just wish there was something that was like a chromebook that ran windows with ~ 64gb space on it

@Builder

You sir deserve a high five.

I mean, aside from the fact that Windows has done nothing but change the look of their interface since Vista to the point of breaking it with Windows 8, sure. I don't notice any differences either.

I don't believe you understood my angle, my point was that there are limited differences between development programs such as Photoshop or other such programs. The only differences they have are the construction of the interface of the program, another thing to note is there is no difference in performance between the 2 options. If you use Photoshop on a Mac it will not run any better than it does on a Windows PC. The same goes for vice-versa, an issue with these arguements is someone always feels the need to say one is better than the other when that isn't the case. You can compare specs all you want but the actual experience is pretty much the same. The only things I personally didn't like about the Mac experience in my case was constant crashing, a very unappealing GUI theme for the desktop, the mouse controls seemed very rugged and not well designed or at least something I just didn't like, and the odd method of closing down programs.