Good evening LinusTechTips forum members and @FloRolf ;)

After months of being a hypocrite as usual saying that I was going to a get a headset (I was using earbuds :( ) or headphones + mic I finally got around to doing something about it last Saturday. I took the plunge and threw my monitor at my money customizing and buying the MMX 300 headset from Beyerdynamic. This is then a review of my process of having them sent to me, breaking them in over a period of 24 hours and using them for several gaming sessions since then. I will update this tomorrow (clock was 4 AM when I wrote this, but I fell asleep on the keyboard so I suppose I am posting it now although I will still need to take the actual pictures... ^^) with high quality pictures and some further thoughts from a few friends of mine :) I will include those in it's own section, but if you can't read reviews without pics in them then I am sorry to disappoint you, but you will just have to to come back later. Without further ado though, let's take the leap of faith we take every time we start reading these reviews and get into this.

Comfort 10/10

I may as well say it now: I have customized this headset heavily using Beyerdynamics "Manufaktor" option for these so my experience when it comes to comfort and other things which you can customize there will be "biased" by how I customized them. I will add my options below so that you can see what I chose. I will also try to mention that this is something I have added when I say something about stuff which I customized.

If you configure them the way I have though they are an absolute joy to use. You can sit for hours with them in the summer and still not actually really be bothered by sweat or any other issues that might cause you to want to take them off. They are just an absolute joy to use with even weight distribution, excellent sound isolation (too good for me, more on that later), this super soft pleather filled with memory foam (customized) and a headband which I can't really even feel. They sit firmly on your head (if you have adjusted them properly they won't even fall off your head if you start headbanging furiously which I suppose someone might do...). Over all I will just have to give full score here since I am not one for "saving" top scores just for the sake of it and even me who have never in my life actually used headphones before (#SpeakersOpPlsNerf) just find them to be a delight to use. 'Nuff said.

Software ?/10

The headset itself doesn't actually come with any software which means that there is no "ultra fantastic" gamer grade reboundable stuff going on here, but I am frankly deeply grateful for that. For the moment I am just using a program called "Sound Blaster Pro Studio" which I actually don't even know how I came in possession of, but which is actually quite excellent. It gives me all the stuff I need to do so I am pleased.

Quality 9/10

When it comes to pure and raw quality this headset is a true testament to german engineering and quality. It is handmade and you can truly feel that hardware problems which may have been there when this product first came on the market have been completely rooted out. The headset is made up of the aforementioned amazing pleather and memory foam (customized), loads of metal, and high quality plastic which really only seem to be there to keep weight down and which is not used anywhere metal might have been better to use. I also customized them to be this black soft touch with midnight blue accents which in my opinion looks really nice, but if you want something else then that is also possible ;) My point being: The paint (or whatever this is) seems to be of excellent quality and should last for many, many years without wearing out. I suppose I need to mention the packaging as well, but it's really not much to speak of. It comes in a fantastic bag inside a box inside another box with manual and that is really it. 'Nuff said.

As for why I gave this a 9 is because I find it quite, quite hard to adjust the headband size which might be due to slark inside the headband and that I think they should expand the headband adjustment in itself. I actually have to have them as far out as I can and even then I first thought "Unicorn, this headset doesn't actually fit me. FML...) before I found out that I simply just needed to adjust it a bit further down on my head since I apparently have a really high "middle head" (we learn until we die I suppose...). Nothing to major though, so I might just be a bit strict here...

Audio Unicorn approved

What is a audio review without actually talking about sound? As useless as a knife without a blade I suppose so let's get to it. I'll divide this section into two "sub sections". One where I talk about the headphones themselves and one where I talk about the microphone. I must also apologize, but I am no audiophile and these are my first proper pair of headphones(ironically enough though I have several speakers a lot more expensive than them) so I can be properly addressed to as a newbie. I will try to only use terminology which I actually completely understand, but I won't be able to provide the most amazing over the top, clinic review of the sound ever made and proposed to men since the beginning GabeN, but I will try.

Headphones 9/10

Since I broke them in (no clue if I broke them in for long enough, but yeah...) I have been listening to as broad range of music as I could possibly imagine me ever listening to (Classic, EDM, Pop, Metal ect.) and as far as I can tell they have a solid bass performance with tight and punchy bass and good although not as detailed high end. This headset is though quite mid centric with fantastic detail while still not actually overpowering the other two so you won't have the problem of bass overpowering everything else just so that you just get slapped with a wave of low frequent sound obliterating everything else. It's actually a quite good thing that they are mid centric (talking gaming) because a lot of the sounds in games are in the mid end (whereas the rest are all mainly in the low end with some things like loud weapons being in the high end) . Overall: Their sound signature bears resemblance of that of the DT 770 as far as I know, but they are far less bass centered than those are supposed to be and an outright relief compared to other gaming headsets.

Microphone 8/10

This is nothing like the normal semi garbage you find on lower end gaming headsets, but a proper mic stuck on a proper pair headphones. It's picking up the sound I want and leaving out the sound I don't like (such as the sound of my computer because I refuse to let my GPU run at over 60 degrees even in the summer, because unicorn) so voice comes through clear and loud. With the different stuff you can change in any proper software which you may want to install after you get them they sound outright fantastic. My reason for the lower score is purely because it's still a boom mic which I kinda have to agree with Linus on that is kinda stupid and that it got no inline or on ear cup mute and volume control. Actually doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but yeah it's still to be preferred. The mic doesn't mute when you put it out of the way either.

The whole shipping and interacting with the company part

I ordered this headset last Saturday (it's not night to Saturday here) and since no one is at work in the weekend I got the confirmation that Beyerdynamic had started making them on Monday morning. It apparently got sent very rapidly the same day with them saying that they would try to get it here in 3 weeks. Well yeah... Tuesday afternoon it was in Oslo (Norway's capital) and since the Norwegian mail is just derp and over all apparently not as efficient as german (#GottaMoveToGermanySomeDay) it got here on Thursday afternoon (albeit on my door so kudos I suppose). If anyone is interested in stalking me I live on a medium sized island outside of Bergen which is Norway's second largest city and is on the west coast. The whole process from deciding I wanted headphones to actually having them in my hands where excellent. The experience was excellent and I would say that it is a quite good testament to german industries excellent quality.

Conclusion 9/10

They are an excellent headset with superb all-round audio quality, Orgasmic (I am sorry) comfort, amazing build quality and without what I would consider to be software bloatware. It might be Beyerdynamics first attempt at entering the gaming market, but even with their first attempt they are really outclassing 90% of the competition, albeit at the lack of few key things like mute/volume control in-line and a massive price. They have also had years to perfect them since they launched so yeah, there is that ;) Overall though, if you got the cash and are like me whom doesn't like mics cluttering up my desk and just want to have a darn all in one solution at the same time as  being able to customize them (I actually customized them with name as well...) then these are indeed fantastic. Mostly because they are german and I like things which is made in Germany  :ph34r:

Final thoughts rounding up: This is a high-end mic slapped on an audiophile grade pair of headphones marketed towards gamers with money. And it just kinda works.

How I configured them

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/9XUCM/599b21c407.png

Hope you had fun reading this and that I didn't fuck up on my grammar (too lazy too proof read it now at least ;) ) + learned something from inexperienced me ranting about headsets 4:30 AM in the morning. Signing out.

-Odin/Titanicium/Mensch/Person with a unicorn fetish.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Ok nice thanks for the review but I for one simply cannot afford a 300$ pair of headphones.

Ok nice thanks for the review but I for one simply cannot afford a 300$ pair of headphones.

400$ :3

I really like that it has an i7 for that price and the availability for 167gbs of ram from the get go.

Pointless comment. Then you can aswell say: I'm 1/10th away from buying a car. 

yeah they are pretty much best headset ive ever woned

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Holy unicorn, batman!

Nice review! :) i'm a bit jelly tho :P

Gotta get me the 880s soon.

Also can't wait to finally hear you give me calls in CS! ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List