Bring in the critics! Any suggestions for $1.1K laptop?

APrettyCoolWalrus

You might have seen my post a few days ago asking what laptop my friend should get for $1.1k USD, and this is basically the same thing except I've ruled out the the laptops suggestions. I recommended the Lenovo Y50 with an I7 and an 860M. Amazon link for further specs:http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Laptop-59425944-Black/dp/B00K6ZIMPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404507447&sr=8-1&keywords=y50

Oh if anyone suggests the G550, I'm just going to say that it's a little unnerving to have DDR3 memory in a GPU.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

check out lenovo's offering or asus

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Lenovo y50 or y510

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I second on the Y510p from Lenovo. It has the dual graphics, and it has a SSHD for faster read/write so less time waiting for games to load.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I love my Y50. The overall design is minimalistic, yet still quite sexy and appealing. It runs quiet and cool on light tasks, and even under load while it's sitting on a desk the cpu only gets up to about 60C and the fans are still barely audible. Port selection is a little bit limited, but for a highly portable gaming machine, it is a compromise at least I am willing to deal with. The keyboard is great, good travel, nice clicky sound on every press, and the red backlight is very appealing. The palm rest has a very pleasant soft-touch coating, and the brushed aluminum shell is very sexy, but unfortunately, a HUGE fingerprint magnet. If you don't care about a dvd drive, and thinness and lightness is your thing, this is the laptop for you. Lenovo hit it out of the park on this one for me. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I second on the Y510p from Lenovo. It has the dual graphics, and it has a SSHD for faster read/write so less time waiting for games to load.

However, you do have to take into account the fact that, being a dual card setup in a notebook, the Y510p is going to throw out WAY more heat, and you may run into micro-stuttering or just plain sli rejection from some games, which would be a big problem for some of the newer games out there. To me the extra 100 to 200 extra dollars is well worth it seeing that you have full compatibility from games right of the bat, as well as the added benefits of the Maxwell architecture over Kepler like better battery life and lower temperatures, and no potential problems with stuttering.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I love my Y50. The overall design is minimalistic, yet still quite sexy and appealing. It runs quiet and cool on light tasks, and even under load while it's sitting on a desk the cpu only gets up to about 60C and the fans are still barely audible. Port selection is a little bit limited, but for a highly portable gaming machine, it is a compromise at least I am willing to deal with. The keyboard is great, good travel, nice clicky sound on every press, and the red backlight is very appealing. The palm rest has a very pleasant soft-touch coating, and the brushed aluminum shell is very sexy, but unfortunately, a HUGE fingerprint magnet. If you don't care about a dvd drive, and thinness and lightness is your thing, this is the laptop for you. Lenovo hit it out of the park on this one for me. 

Yeah the Y50 is what I suggest, the Y510P is a little thick and hot

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Great so mostly support for the Lenovos? 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler