Navigate real life in third-person using Oculus Rift and GoPro cameras

Hi guys, this is my first time posting.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5869841/navigate-real-life-in-third-person-using-oculus-rift-and-gopro-cameras

Poland-based development team from mepi has created a proof of concept that allows users people to view real life from a third-person perspective.

This seems pretty cool as a proof of concept but I would like to see it be refined a bit more before it gets released. I can see this being used for some sort of media creation.

What are your thoughts on this and it's possible applications?

i dislike 3rd person.. watching your own back for hours seems pointless and VERY boring.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Why not from a side-scrolling perspective.

I think I saw a video of that once.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

thats some messed up 3rd person vision...

should be further back. (the camera that is)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Still though, all in all, this is pretty damn cool! :D

thats some messed up 3rd person vision...

should be further back. (the camera that is)

I thought the same thing, but it's a proof of concept. so keep that in mind.

COOL! I need to get this someday considering that I thought of this back when Linus was talking about RC Drone battles during a Linus Livestream (it was before the WAN Show if I remember) Although I'd rather have a drone flying the camera for me :D That being said I like first person a lot more than 3rd person in most games its just that we never get the option in real life and it would be fun to try it out for a few hours :)

i dislike 3rd person.. watching your own back for hours seems pointless and VERY boring.

Yeah cause watching your hands in 1st person is thrilling

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

That's an interesting concept, now to the woods, I need to smash jars... 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

So, basicly they made a boom? Wow.... *sarcasm*

BTW, I've seen similar products to this that were better.

COOL! I need to get this someday considering that I thought of this back when Linus was talking about RC Drone battles during a Linus Livestream (it was before the WAN Show if I remember) Although I'd rather have a drone flying the camera for me :D That being said I like first person a lot more than 3rd person in most games its just that we never get the option in real life and it would be fun to try it out for a few hours :)

I believe that razer did a video showing that concept. However it was for April fool's day and was a joke, but still pretty cool.

So, basicly they made a boom? Wow.... *sarcasm*

BTW, I've seen similar products to this that were better.

Where? Can you post a link?

Where? Can you post a link?

I don't remember at all where I found it or what it was called. It just had a better camera position that made it look like a more normal third person view.

I think these are stupid products as they highly limit your mobility. A helicopter would work much better.

Useless and I'm not narcissistic enough that I wanna watch my fat ass all day.

Mount this to a car, third person driving is a lot more useful.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well, they have two problems. 1. It was positioned too high. 2. Because it was positioned to high the camera's were aimed to low causing you to now see very much of what is in front of him. They have to position the pole lower so that they can angle the cameras at a more 90 degree angle while able to still see the back of the person with it on. I need to see what's going on in front of me.