Intel Octo-Core Haswell E $999 (Rumour)

ShadowCaptain

does surprise me that it would cost that mush

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

That 5820k sounds delicious! Do want, badly.

Keep in mind the 5820K will get less PCIe lanes than the 5930K, the only difference between the two except the base clock.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Lol "wallet busting"

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Wholly Geezballz guys stop arguing in extremes! [haswell-extremes? ;) ]. Some gamers have use for lots of cores. Some don't need more than their old smartphone.

being a "gamer" doesn't automatically mean you don't need more power in your computer, and it doesn't automatically mean you do.

Some "gamers" stream and video edit and audio edit and render and other things with their computer, they'd LOVE an 8core processor. "Oh wait they are a gamer, they don't need 8 cores.. psh.."

Some "gamers" don't stream, don't edit video, don't render, or do anything other than games, they clearly don't need an 8core processor. "Oh wait, they are a gamer, games will soon use all the cores! they need it!"

I'm not going to call you guys idiots, but.. being a gamer has nothing to do with your computing power needs. it has to do with the quality of gaming you prefer, and other uses for the computer.

Besides, this is x99, a workstation and enthusiast oriented platform. Is it badass for gaming? YES! but are PC gamers (likely more specifically males between the ages of 15-25ish) the target demographic for this chipset? NO.

Give this man a cookie!

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

It's confirmed haswell-e highest end (i7 5960x) will be 8 core. The price will most likely be $999 which is also common knowledge.

Old news, multiple threads/videos etc about it. 

Have you really not heard of this? It has been everywhere for a few months now.

If people needed 8+ cores before then they would have gotten server CPUs.

And dealt with severe loss of single-thread performance.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Keep in mind the 5820K will get less PCIe lanes than the 5930K, the only difference between the two except the base clock.

I don't need too many PCIe lanes honestly, I don't plan to use it for workstation stuff just a robust gaming rig with some light vmware capabilities.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am flabbergasted on how you came to the conclusion that people who bought professional Xeon CPUs with 8+ cores for heavy multithreaded workloads would be concerned with single-thread performance.

Because workstation people would still like to be able to cruise along at proper speeds while doing menial tasks on the same machine. If I spent money on a workstation, I'd like to be able to game properly on it too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I don't need too many PCIe lanes honestly, I don't plan to use it for workstation stuff just a robust gaming rig with some light vmware capabilities.

Yeah I plan on getting a 5920K myself, just a heads up if you weren't aware.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Right... you wouldn't able to browser the web or talk on Skype smoothly with slightly less single-thread performance... (sarcasm). I was thinking of a production environment where the machine is dedicated to one task and will be under heavy load 24/7 which is what Xeons are designed for.

But you also have renderers in there who game.

At least the 6 cores will be more affordable. I'm wondering if its worth it since I'm always hosting servers for my friends?

But you also have renderers in there who game.

its not like a xeon cant game... it can game just as well (if not better) than an FX, since its IPC is so much better, even with a slower clockspeed. plus it can offload all other threads to other cores, so it dedicates the 4 cores it needs to a game... your point is moot :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

its not like a xeon cant game... it can game just as well (if not better) than an FX, since its IPC is so much better, even with a slower clockspeed. plus it can offload all other threads to other cores, so it dedicates the 4 cores it needs to a game... your point is moot :)

I would never game on an FX. I game on I5 minimum. But at 8 cores Xeons even slow down to 3 GHz. Also, most games still depend on single-core performance. Only some have multi-core support, and that's really only for FPS games. For MMORPGs or RTS games, you still really do need that one core going as fast as it can when a lot of characters/monsters are on the screen together.

I would never game on an FX. I game on I5 minimum. But at 8 cores Xeons even slow down to 3 GHz.

so what... that still doesnt bottleneck a 2x array, so any gaming should be fine... youre scared of it being slow, but in reality its faster than any nahalem, and i still game on a nahalem i5 and a 770 with no bottlenecks... so its fine

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

so what... that still doesnt bottleneck a 2x array, so any gaming should be fine... youre scared of it being slow, but in reality its faster than any nahalem, and i still game on a nahalem i5 and a 770 with no bottlenecks... so its fine

And the clock rate on said chip? If it's less than 3.6 GHz I'll be admittedly surprised.

And the clock rate on said chip? If it's less than 3.6 GHz I'll be admittedly surprised.

the stock 2.66GHz :) games are very GPU bound these days mate :) i mean probably WoW wouldnt run as well as on a haswell, but i even get 60FPS in star citizen mostly, with some dips into the 40s :) 

the stock 2.66GHz :) games are very GPU bound these days mate :) i mean probably WoW wouldnt run as well as on a haswell, but i even get 60FPS in star citizen mostly, with some dips into the 40s :)

Any game with AI based on the client PC is not as GPU-bound as you think. You have to actually know what the game architecture is and how the software was implemented. Graphics are graphics but there's a lot more to it.

Any game with AI based on the client PC is not as GPU-bound as you think. You have to actually know what the game architecture is and how the software was implemented. Graphics are graphics but there's a lot more to it.

i know, hence i said that some would not run well, but i also gave an example that runs well, and that is with ai :) i know you are probably not convinced, maybe if ill have time, ill run benches later :)

I want......

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Aha... Overpriced shit again... Moooah... They should fix their ridiculously high prices!

If you think an 8-core CPU with 18MB of L3 cache running at 3.6-4.0 GHz isn't worth $1000 let's see you build one.

Aha... Overpriced shit again... Moooah... They should fix their ridiculously high prices!

Uh dude you might want to check out the price of a Mac workstation with this many cores/threads that can do this much of a workload or any other big brand workstation.

This thing as a Hackintosh/workstation would pretty much be the biggest steal ever. I would build one in a second as a workstation. 

As a gaming cpu? Yeah waste of money and no real benefits, since the consoles have only 6 cores available to them on the SDK and I doubt anyone would make a game for these things. As a budget workstation CPU that can also game and pretty much do anything you want awesome? This thing is fantastic.

Now the old hexa X at 1000? Yeah that was overpriced compared to the non X. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't see most people using 8 cores to it's full potential. 

I don't see most people using 8 cores to it's full potential. 

i dont see most people buying it ;)

this is meant for heavy workstations, and epeen

I got my 8320 to hopefully get as much life out of it as my c2duo, when I got my c2duo people said its a waste as well, nowadays 2 cores isn't enough

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347