Music tips/help for someone new to android?

Hey Guys! so recently required an older Motorola droid 4 from a friend of mine so i could start using that instead of my old iphone 4.but there are some issues i need some help with working out. I have decently sized music library(about 1,800 songs) and that runs about 12.5/13ish gigs. since there's only 8gb usable on the droid i used my sd card for storage(and for reference my sd card is no slouch, its a samsung evo 32gb class 10). And this is where my problem resides. i have the music on the SD card no issue, but my phone cant even load the music. it worked fine for a singular album, but not my entire library. and I've tried some of the more popular music apps besides google's version, like poweramp, double twist, mx player, equilizer+, etc. they all just sit there or crash. would converting my music to a smaller size and format work to put on the internal storage? And would running cyanogenmod bring better performance to help with this issue since the "droid" version of android is kinda terrible(in my opinion) and my phone is rooted of that helps any. 

If you want anymore info just let me know! thanks guys :)

If it's rooted flash a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM if you haven't already. Then you should be able to find the stock android rom online which you can flash from recovery.

As for the music problem, I believe it is the format. Maybe that device just doesn't support it. I don't know if converting it would reduce the size, all I know is it will obviously reduce the quality of the music during conversion, which in turn should make the files smaller. I would just find a way to use the SD card. It would be so much better.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I think that my performance is handicapped since its an older phone(its has an arm cortex dual core with 820mb of usable ram) as for the music files i know they are all mp3's, which is supported and worked perfectly when i had like 20 songs loaded up. and i do have a couple rom's to try out, just need to install them. i might just use my iPhone as a music player if i can't figure something out, extra stuff in my pockets doesn't bother me. 

Judging from you coming from an Apple device, are the files the format your Android supports? 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Mmhmm, i checked before i started using it. it supports mp3's, AAC, FLAC, .ogg, etc. and for reference when i did get my music to load with a small music sample(like a couple albums) it played them just fine