Why/How is the FX 8350 a bottleneck?

U did this:

ME - AMD is a budget orientated CPU manufacturer

YOU - not for long

Budget = cheap

So what did u really mean by "not for long" ?

Sorry i meant AMD existence.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

It shouldnt even bottleneck 2x780tis, 

We need facepalm smiles on this site LINUS!!!

those that do backups

Sorry i meant AMD existence.

Apology accepted :) 

Yea AMD will have hard time when Intel launches Skylake....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

@Buckley

I have an i5-4670k OC'd to 4.7Ghz + a single GTX780(not overclocked, lost the silicon lottery big time on my GPU) when I play BF4, I get 120-150fps. My settings are Ultra everything, and Texture Resolution 140%.

I eventually turned V-Sync on because there is no sense running at more than 60fps on my monitor.

That's impossible. Literally impossible. @Faa is getting those fps with 2 780's let aalone one

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

That's impossible. Literally impossible. @Faa is getting those fps with 2 780's let aalone one

On my system BF4 multiplayer full ultra preset 1080P 4X MSAA and 115% scalling i get around 80 to 100FPS depending on the map, GPU load is 98% across the board and i have my GTX 780 overclocked to 1250MHZ...CPU is 4.4GHZ i7 haswell.

If i set the supersampling to 140% like faceman is suggesting i get around 50 to 60FPS...nowhere near what he claims...my guess is he's running without any anti-aliasing maybe? otherwise i can't see this as being true.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Guys, guys, you did not ask him what resolution display he has. if he says that GTX 780 (bad overclocker, he said he lost CHIP lottery) has BF4 ultra 120-150 FPS and Texture Resolution 140%.  I assume he has 640x480 display LOL

Of course he is running not ultra maybe mid settings. or he is lying!

those that do backups

But that was recorded in november back when we didnt have any performance updates yet. I get easily between 100-120 fps with a single card in siege of shanghai but in operation locker you get much more. Honestly comparing your fps with someone else is kinda hopeless over the net

4K might make you gpu bound, I can't really guarantee you this but most likely you won't be cpu bottlenecked at all. It's like 720p which is considered now as a cpu bottleneck resolution and 1080p GPU bound but times change 1080p starts to become the cpu bottleneck resolution and 4K the gpu bound resolution

Hmm that's interesting. In all honesty I might starting returning this / parting it out. I don't like what I'm seeing with it and I know the CF 290X's will be able to play 4k but they'll still struggle. I have a secondary rig that will run some games for me for now but part of me wants to wait on X99 and next gen amd/nvidia gpu's.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout

I've heard something simillar with my friend's overclock but that was his own problem maybe it has to do with game optimization or lack of GPU load.

Have a bad day...

AMD's single thread performance is crap is why a

FX8350 is NOT A 8 CORE its 8 THREADS its basically AMD's version of hyper-threading

AMD chips are slower then intel by a LARGE margin 

disable cores 1,3,5 and 7 

this will essentially make it a quad core but you will pickup a chunk of performance in applications that aren't threaded for 8 execution threads 

this is because you are freeing up resources in the CPU that are normally tied up waiting for other threads it also avoids the issue with this type of hyper-threading in that you aren't starving waiting

threads of execution resources so more instructions are executed per clock 

and for the record a single 780 will get you Ultra 1080P @ about 60FPS with a 780TI managing abut 70 thats on a 64 man server AVG

I will show you guys proof later this weekend. I'm on vacation and using a Kindle to type. Sometime around Monday I will post screenshots. I've never video captured before, maybe I will get @Faa to help me out so I can post a video of my BF4 results. Ultra Settings everything at 1080p.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

FX8350 is NOT A 8 CORE its 8 THREADS its basically AMD's version of hyper-threading

this will essentially make it a quad core but you will pickup a chunk of performance in applications that aren't threaded for 8 execution threads 

this is because you are freeing up resources in the CPU that are normally tied up waiting for other threads it also avoids the issue with this type of hyper-threading in that you aren't starving waiting

and for the record a single 780 will get you Ultra 1080P @ about 60FPS with a 780TI managing abut 70 thats on a 64 man server AVG

that's right. FX 8 core is not 8 core it's 4 module. each module has 2 cores, but they get tasks from one way.

now if they made true 8 core CPU that would be ~40% faster than this "8 core" cpus.

do you remember when fx 8150 was out 6 core 1100 T was faster then "8 core" FX 8150. AMD said that it was because of windows and then there were 2 updates for specially AMD cpus but nothing happend :D

those that do backups

The FX-8350 is a good CPU. Is it great? Not really, but you won't really notice the difference between a FX-8350 and a i5-3570K. At least I couldn't while gaming, surfing, watching videos etc. You might notice it a bit playing games relying heavily on very few threads. 

The benchmarks exaggerated the differences, which aren't nearly as clear under normal usage. 

But I will admit that it comes up short. There weren't any reasons to go for it over a i5. It was indeed the sign of AMD giving up on CPUs, and I guess it was the right choice, even though it resulted in Intel now giving us poor products compared to previous generations. 

CPU: Core i7-4790K

GPU: 2x MSi GTX 970 GAMING G4       

MB:   ASUS Z97-AR 

Hmm that's interesting. In all honesty I might starting returning this / parting it out. I don't like what I'm seeing with it and I know the CF 290X's will be able to play 4k but they'll still struggle. I have a secondary rig that will run some games for me for now but part of me wants to wait on X99 and next gen amd/nvidia gpu's.

Whats your average performance in 1080p? 4K would likely push your 290x's to 99% in BF4, I'd rather get a 4K and just monitor your loads again. If theyre around 80-85% each, you'd likely expect a 15% boost by overclocking or a new cpu.

It would be better to assign both cores to work together. Some boards allow this to happen where you assign the modular to a task instead of cores.

It would be better to assign both cores to work together. Some boards allow this to happen where you assign the modular to a task instead of cores.

I've never heard of this tactic lol

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

I've never heard of this tactic lol

Simplified: It's just to improve the single core performance, you probs have to disable 4 cores in the bios. Why you would do that is because most game engines can't use more than 4 cores anyways, you could go higher in cpu clock and mainly due to how the architecture works. The first core suffers some performance whenever the 2nd core gets used in the same module and vice versa.

So if your application has 4 threads only which means it cannot use more than 4 cores; assigning it to core#0, core#1, core#2,core#3 it wouldn't perform that great as with core#0, core#2, core#4 and core#6. If your app has 8 threads well yeah it would perform best with all cores ofc

I have an i5-4670k OC'd to 4.7Ghz + a single GTX780(not overclocked, lost the silicon lottery big time on my GPU) when I play BF4, I get 120-150fps.  My settings are Ultra everything, and Texture Resolution 140%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will show you guys proof later this weekend. I'm on vacation and using a Kindle to type. Sometime around Monday I will post screenshots. I've never video captured before, maybe I will get @Faa to help me out so I can post a video of my BF4 results. Ultra Settings everything at 1080p.

I'd like to see this as well. FYI, I get about 120fps to about 200fps with my 3960X at 4.5ghz + 2x R9 290X (1090/1325).....basically, you're saying your i5-4670k OC'd to 4.7Ghz + a single GTX780 equals my much more powerful setup. Mine was at 1200P at maxed out setting.

I, too, have an FX8350 at default speed, had it at 4.5ghz but other than it running hotter, I saw very little improvement in framerate so I'd backed it down to default speed. It's a great CPU and does my 2x GTX670 justice, no game is unplayable, basically able to max out all games at 1080P including Metro LL and BF4. Now, would I get higher framerate with an i5/i7? Yep, probably so but as long as framerate is good and games quite playable, I'm not gonna be anal about bottlenecks....but hey, that's just me I guess.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Simplified: It's just to improve the single core performance, you probs have to disable 4 cores in the bios. Why you would do that is because most game engines can't use more than 4 cores anyways, you could go higher in cpu clock and mainly due to how the architecture works. The first core suffers some performance whenever the 2nd core gets used in the same module and vice versa.

So if your application has 4 threads only which means it cannot use more than 4 cores; assigning it to core#0, core#1, core#2,core#3 it wouldn't perform that great as with core#0, core#2, core#4 and core#6. If your app has 8 threads well yeah it would perform best with all cores ofc

Def gonna try and soar past 5ghz hehe prolly not but one can only dream

And also you can only disable modules if I remember correctly. Disabling cores 1&2,3&4,5&6,7&8 I believe are the options on my C5FZ. I'll check it out tmrw when I'm home

Def gonna try and soar past 5ghz hehe prolly not but one can only dream

And also you can only disable modules if I remember correctly. Disabling cores 1&2,3&4,5&6,7&8 I believe are the options on my C5FZ. I'll check it out tmrw when I'm home

Try it out with a cpu bound game/benchmark. Star swarm eg.

Try it out with a cpu bound game/benchmark. Star swarm eg.

Did this with skyrim. Didn't see any noticeable improvement. Maybe 1-2fps

Did this with skyrim. Didn't see any noticeable improvement. Maybe 1-2fps

Yeah but did you have any mods?

Well I benchmarked my 8320 a while back as a 'true' quad core (So no resource sharing) and in Cinebench I got 5.23 @5GHzWatermelons, I then ran it as a CMT quad core (so with resource sharing) and got something like 4.2@ 5GHz

So depending on application that mode would be better than '8 cores active'.

not for long. soon there will be intel 14 nm chips and AMD is still at 28 nm. thats twice the intel techprocess. they are still in 2009! when intell made first CPU from "core i" familly.

You cannot blame AMD for still being at 28nm. They are not in control of the manufacturing process. You could blame GloFo, however that wouldn't help either.

Intel is ahead in the manufacturing process. GloFo is having process. TSMC had some issues (which affect both Nvidia and AMDs GPUs).

Intels first core I series was 45nm.