First Time PC Build for Brother

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Yup.. 3330S.. My bad..

I am using USD..

If I can use the existing processor (3330S) to build a new PC that will be great and it will cut down my cost as well.

I am willing to spend 600 - 700 USD without the processor.

You could get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x9L6qs and just reuse the motherboard. 

All,

I am completely new to custom PC Build and would like your help.

I want to build a new PC for my younger brother. My brother plays games on Xbox and lately has been interested in PC Games and that is what it will be mostly used for.

I do have a Dell Inspiron 660s lying around without much use. I am thinking of using the Processor and HDD from that for my build.

The processor is i5 3330S. I need to know if this good for gaming. My budget is only 600$ - 700$ and if possible I would like to make use of the i5 3330s processor itself.

Can you let me know the best 

1. Mother Board

2. GPU

3. Power Supply

4. SSD (120 GB)

I have the following already with me:

1. Two Monitors

2. Gaming Mice / Gaming Keyboard

3. 1TB Segate HDD

4. Case (ThermalTake Overseer RX-I)

Thanks,

Arun

There's really no point in keeping that CPU. As for everything else:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($75.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($229.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $710.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

thanks for the details. Really appreciate it.

if i have to end up buying a new processor do you think I should also look at AMD FX8230? I have read good reviews about that as well.

The processor is i5 35330S.

You mean the 3330s.. 

There's really no point in keeping that CPU. As for everything else:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

The 3330s is still plenty for most games and better than the G3258... 

thanks for the details. Really appreciate it.

if i have to end up buying a new processor do you think I should also look at AMD FX8230? I have read good reviews about that as well.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.
What kind of dollars are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You mean the 3330s.. 

The 3330s is still plenty for most games and better than the G3258... 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.
What kind of dollars are you using?

Yup.. 3330S.. My bad..

I am using USD..

If I can use the existing processor (3330S) to build a new PC that will be great and it will cut down my cost as well.

Yup.. 3330S.. My bad..

I am using USD..

You could get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x9L6qs and just reuse the motherboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

that is great. Cuts down the cost so much. I will give it a try.

Thanks much!! Will post my progress..

Also, If I am willing to change the mother board, which one is good? 

Also, If I am willing to change the mother board, which one is good? 

Not really worth the money but you could try to find a cheap P8Z77-V LX on eBay and grab a 212 Evo for oc'ing. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z77vlx

All,

I am completely new to custom PC Build and would like your help.

I want to build a new PC for my younger brother. My brother plays games on Xbox and lately has been interested in PC Games and that is what it will be mostly used for.

I do have a Dell Inspiron 660s lying around without much use. I am thinking of using the Processor and HDD from that for my build.

The processor is i5 3330S. I need to know if this good for gaming. My budget is only 600$ - 700$ and if possible I would like to make use of the i5 3330s processor itself.

Can you let me know the best 

1. Mother Board

2. GPU

3. Power Supply

4. SSD (120 GB)

I have the following already with me:

1. Two Monitors

2. Gaming Mice / Gaming Keyboard

3. 1TB Segate HDD

4. Case (ThermalTake Overseer RX-I)

Thanks,

Arun

The i5 3330 is a good processor but its showing its age, so since you have a decent budget and already a head start on some parts, might as well invest in a new one. Here is what I suggest:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($74.99 @ Micro Center)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $574.92

Also, you never did mention if you needed memory or not, so I went ahead and added it. If you don't need it, just deduct the price from the total.

Gaming/Editing PC: AMD FX-8350 | CM Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600| Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE | PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Corsair 600W ATX Semi-Modular PSU | Thermaltake Chaser A71 | LG 25UM64-S 25.0" 2560 x 1080 Display | CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse

The i5 3330 is a good processor but its showing its age, so since you have a decent budget and already a head start on some parts, might as well invest in a new one. Here is what I suggest:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($74.99 @ Micro Center)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $574.92

Also, you never did mention if you needed memory or not, so I went ahead and added it. If you don't need it, just deduct the price from the total.

Thank you for this. I have a question for you. I see that AMD FX 8320 is available for 149 (after coupon) @ Newegg. I also get 15$ cash back on 150 using Amex.

What is your opinion about buying FX 8230 and if you think it is a good buy, can you also suggest a good motherboard and GPU to go along with it?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Arun

Thank you for this. I have a question for you. I see that AMD FX 8320 is available for 149 (after coupon) @ Newegg. I also get 15$ cash back on 150 using Amex.

What is your opinion about buying FX 8230 and if you think it is a good buy, can you also suggest a good motherboard and GPU to go along with it?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Arun

Haven't had any personal experience with the 8320, but reviews say its a good CPU...as long as it has good cooling, so if you get one, be sure to get a good aftermarket CPU cooler to go along with it. OEM coolers are okay, but aren't made for intense gaming. MSI & Gigabyte have good motherboards, and GPUs are easy. I say stick to anything above either an AMD R9 270x or nVidia GTX 770 to avoid bottlenecks.

Gaming/Editing PC: AMD FX-8350 | CM Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600| Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE | PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Corsair 600W ATX Semi-Modular PSU | Thermaltake Chaser A71 | LG 25UM64-S 25.0" 2560 x 1080 Display | CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse