Ericsson tests 5G wireless, hits incredible 5Gbps

ETRJ

Swedish telecom firm Ericsson has successfully achieved a wireless speed of 5Gbps - a promising result for the future of mobile internet.

The test was conducted over a 15GHz frequency band to show network providers the potential of 5G connectivity over the next decade.

"With faster speeds, lower latency and better performance in highly dense areas, 5G represents an evolution of the user experience," says Ericsson's PR department.

"Though 5G standards are still in early development and new spectrum allocations are still to be considered, Ericsson's live demonstration is a clear reflection of the company's technology leadership."

A mobility report released by the company last month suggested that 85% of US mobile subscriptions will be 4G LTE by 2019, and that 2020 could see adoption of 5G networks in countries like the USA, Japan, and South Korea.

Network providers SK Telecom, from South Korea, and NTT Docomo, from Japan, have already signed up for 5G trials to kickstart the process of pushing super high-speed internet on mobile devices as soon as possible.

"SK Telecom plans to take the lead in 5G wireless services so we are pleased to see the progress that Ericsson has already made with their live demonstration of 5G performance," says Alex Jingsung Choi, Exec VP and head of R&D at SK Telecom.

"5G will build upon the investment that we have made in the Long Term Evolution and expand our service offering to all of our customers."

With only 70% of the country covered by 4G in January 2014, 5G seems a long way off for the UK. We're not sure whether 5G connectivity will arrive in Blighty by 2020, but at least we have a better idea of speeds for the next generation of mobile internet.

http://www.t3.com/news/ericsson-tests-5g-wireless-hits-incredible-5gbps

I wonder how high/low the ping was.

I feel like 4G LTE is doing it's job well. We should focus one actual problems like reliability and signal strength rather than speed. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

MOAR SPEED PLS!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

cScvxVr.png

4G coverage in Ireland from one of the network providers. We are a long way away from 5G.

Can't wait to move to Seoul everytime I read stories like this xD

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

5G still can't reach the peak download speed I got on steam today...XfaHvDH.png

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Pretty sure we'll be seeing decent 5G coverage here in Sweden pretty soon considering the huge investments all the carriers are putting towards keeping the wireless infrastructure up to date. The first towers will probably start publicly utilizing 5G between late 2017 - mid 2018 (mild guess). I think it's going to be more of an issue equipping people with 5G-ready equipment—Country-wide adoption will probably be around 2019-2020, which falls in line with the suggestions that e.g. S. Korea will start mashing their 5G buttons at that same time.  ^_^

Cheers,

Linus

We really, and I mean really need to focus on 4G signal strength rather than speed because I only get 2 Bars from 4G where is live (Verizon) and I can't really even use the Internet on my phone yet (Swagson Galaxy S4)

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Holy shit. You can download your entire library with that in seconds.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This was the most glorious nanosecond of your Internet service life.

say what? haha

USA doesn't even have LTE-A yet...

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

USA doesn't even have LTE-A yet...

whats lte-a? O.o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

No point in 5G for us in the UK yet. Some networks here don't even have decent 3G coverage. :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

whats lte-a? O.o

LTE Advanced , pretty sure its only in South Korea if I'm not mistaken. Basically 4.5G

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

The test was conducted over a 15GHz frequency band

AKA a sheet of paper will block the signal. Just moving from 800mhz to 1900mhz caused issues getting service inside of malls and schools.

I wonder how high/low the ping was.

1ms I'd assume. Ping from the device to the site isn't really an issue.

LTE Advanced , pretty sure its only in South Korea if I'm not mistaken. Basically 4.5G

LTE is 3.5G (Verizon calls it 3.9G), LTE-A is 4G. 

Carriers in the US saying they have 4G is just marketing.

I have 4G basically everywhere i go i was sitting in the car at traffic lights on a highway with no buildings around and got 45mbps down and 30mbps up lol dont know why people are complaining about coverage maybe thats the one thing Australia has over everyone else lol we only get about 20 ping too :)