How do I switch from my APU to GPU on my ASUS Intel Laptop?

So, I have a Laptop and it has a GPU called GT 740M. However, I want to switch to my GPU not APU, how do I do that?

Anything would help, thanks!

If you have an Intel processor, you don't have an APU. You should be able to choose in the bios.

I should be studying.

If you have an Intel processor, you don't have an APU. You should be able to choose in the bios.

what are you talking about lol? intel uses hd graphics 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

what are you talking about lol? intel uses hd graphics 

Look at the title of his post. That is what I am talking about. What are you talking about?

I should be studying.

Look at the title of his post. That is what I am talking about. What are you talking about?

Actualy yeh, I have Intel HD Graphics. Also, how do I go to Bios and change it?

Actualy yeh, I have Intel HD Graphics. Also, how do I go to Bios and change it?

Then why do you say you have an APU? On my computer, it is F2 on startup. Yours might be different. It will tell you when you turn your computer completely off then back on.

I should be studying.

So, I have a Laptop and it has a GPU called GT 740M. However, I want to switch to my GPU not APU, how do I do that?

Anything would help, thanks!

There should be software that allows you to force it to change or does it automatically depending on what you are doing. Look inside the Geforce settings

Then why do you say you have an APU? On my computer, it is F2 on startup. Yours might be different. It will tell you when you turn your computer completely off then back on.

I'm sorry but I must clarify this (extremely common) misconception.

The Intel CPU (And most desktop class Intel CPU's since what, Sandy Bridge?) is, in fact, an APU.

AMD tagged the APU "term" as something to describe their CPU's with on-die/fully accessible GPU. This is exactly the same as what Intel's HD graphics do on modern Intel CPU's. The only real difference is:

1. AMD actually has kickass on-die graphics, far superior to Intel HD graphics

2. AMD Uses HMA/HuMA (Unified Memory Access - basically the ability for memory to be directly shared between GPU and CPU without having to designate "Oh this 1GB for the GPU" before hand - The new consoles have various forms of this). - This wasn't even a launch feature though, and only came out recently along with the Jaguar APU releases.

So yes, your badass Intel CPU actually is an "APU", despite being way stronger on the CPU side and way weaker on the GPU side.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm sorry but I must clarify this (extremely common) misconception.

The Intel CPU (And most desktop class Intel CPU's since what, Sandy Bridge?) is, in fact, an APU.

AMD tagged the APU "term" as something to describe their CPU's with on-die/fully accessible GPU. This is exactly the same as what Intel's HD graphics do on modern Intel CPU's. The only real difference is:

1. AMD actually has kickass on-die graphics, far superior to Intel HD graphics

2. AMD Uses HMA/HuMA (Unified Memory Access - basically the ability for memory to be directly shared between GPU and CPU without having to designate "Oh this 1GB for the GPU" before hand - The new consoles have various forms of this). - This wasn't even a launch feature though, and only came out recently along with the Jaguar APU releases.

So yes, your badass Intel CPU actually is an "APU", despite being way stronger on the CPU side and way weaker on the GPU side.

Just because a processor has integrated graphics, doesn't mean it is an APU friend.

I should be studying.

Okay but seriously.

How do I switch from APU to GPU? Do I go to BIOS or somethin?

Bump :/

Still need the problem solved, or at least know what's going on :C

Just because a processor has integrated graphics, doesn't mean it is an APU friend.

APU just means a CPU with graphics on-die, to make things simple. Intel processors are techinically APUs, even the processors in phones like Snapdragons. However I believe AMD has trademarked it, which is why only they are using it. But in reality HD graphics are quite bad so calling it an APU would give the name bad rep anyways.

Bump :/

Still need the problem solved, or at least know what's going on :C

Yeah, back on topic, if your laptop has a dedicated GPU separate from the Intel CPU/APU/ABCDEFPU, then you usually find options to switch to it using the appropriate management software (nvidia control panel for geforce, catalyst control center for radeon). If you do not have dedicated graphics on your laptop, then you're stuck with Intel HD graphics.

"Rawr XD"

Yeah, back on topic, if your laptop has a dedicated GPU separate from the Intel CPU/APU/ABCDEFPU, then you usually find options to switch to it using the appropriate management software (nvidia control panel for geforce, catalyst control center for radeon). If you do not have dedicated graphics on your laptop, then you're stuck with Intel HD graphics.

Yeh, I have that. The Nvidia Control Panel. For PhysX, I switched to my 740M. Is there anything else I can switch? 

Yeh, I have that. The Nvidia Control Panel. For PhysX, I switched to my 740M. Is there anything else I can switch?

Due to how nvidia optimus works, there's no way to globally use just the dedicated GPU. However in the nvidia control panel there should be somewhere that allows you to set individual applications to use what GPU, but again there isn't much control. Its mostly meant to be automatically done by Optimus.

"Rawr XD"

I won't go into the details of how you're wrong, since @Aniallation went a bit more in depth, but yep, you're still wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_processing_unit

AMD didn't even use the term first, they just coined it in the Public's eye first and "branded" their processor/GPU line as "APU". The examples given in that link include Intel HD Graphics making the Intel CPU technically an APU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

clean install the drivers for the gpu.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

hope that helps

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled