Lenovo Y50 vs Asus G550JK

Hey guys i need a laptop for college and i cant decide between the two laptops: Lenovo Y50 or the Asus G550JK. The laptops specs that ill be choosing will be:

Lenovo Y50 - Intel Core I7-4700HQ, 15.6" FHD Antiglare 1980 x 1080, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M 2GB DDR5 VRAM, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Hybrid 1 TB 5400RPM+8GB SSHD

Asus G550JK -  Intel Core I7-4700HQ, 15.6" IPS FHD Antiglare 1980 x 1080, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M 4GB DDR3 VRAM, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 1 TB 5400RPM HDD

With regards to the HDD, i'll be upgrading it to a 128GB SSD from Kingston/Samsung EVO so it wont matter what the default HDD in the laptop is.

I really value the cooling system of the laptop, and as of today there have not been any professional reviews of the cooling system with regards to both laptops. If anyone has any idea how the cooling system and noise level when playing games and just normal work it would be great to let me know!

Please help and comment on which laptop you guys think i should buy. Thanks!

(P.S the games i play are: Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Battlefield 4.)

Hello and welcome to the fourm. Enjoy your stay.

I don't know about the cooling of either of those but the Lenovo has a better GPU so just looking at the specs go for that one. Also note that the lenovo is also IPS. 

Izaya Orihara

Hey! The one ill be choosing will be the TN Panel for the lenovo Y50, as the 4k display one is too expensive for me.

Are you sticking with just that 128 GB SSD? It'd be awfully small, and I'd imagine you would run out of space pretty quickly. I know on the Asus, you should be able to swap out the optical drive for another hard drive if you need to. From what I can tell after some quick googling, the Y50 does not have an internal optical drive, so you'd either get an external drive or be stuck with just your 128 GB SSD.

But if space isn't really an issue, I'd go for the better GPU (Y50) over IPS (G550JK). Still, if your concern is cooling, there are probably better options than these <1" thin laptops. What's your budget/location?

Additionally, it should probably me asked - could you live with a budget gaming desktop, and a really cheap laptop/tablet for classes?

i have an external hard drive where i keep the majority of my files so storage wouldn't be a problem. My budget is around $1200 US, ill prefer a thin-ish gaming notebook like the two iv chosen.  I live in Hong Kong and am going to UCL for Uni this year and a desktop wouldn't be an option as my dorm will have limited space. Thank you for your opinion!

Not too sure if it's out of your price range, but have you looked at the MSI GS60?

Linus's Video on it:

Yea i have checked out the MSI GS60. It is definitely out my my price range and i read many professional reviews and user reviews stating it overheats whilst gaming and CPU + GPU throttling. Thanks though!

It costs $1700 USD. My budget is around $1200 ~

I'm currently having the same problem, and was just wondering about which laptops to get for College this year. I'll be attending to the graphic design course. 4k and 3k laptops are terrible since windows UI scale can't cope well with it. So I wanna stick to 1080p. Macbooks pro retina have image retention and yellow tint on display (really, there's a HUGE thread over it on their forum), not to mention they are ridiculously piece of overpriced junk. So I came up with Asus G550K, Asus N550K, Lenovo Y50. N550k seems to be the better choice, G550k is the most beautiful, Y50 is the most powerful. What troubles me is the right panel, since at least in my case, what I see on screen is really important for graphic design. Being that said, glossy IPS (N550K) or matte IPS (G550K)? Good builds are important too, keyboard, a nice trackpad that won't make the mouse cursor jump on screen just by touching it with wrists, good cooling, and well, a 870m or 880m would make my day. I have no budget, the sky is the limit. Although not spending too much would be great since I still gotta get myself a drawing tablet. Any suggestions?

I'm currently having the same problem, and was just wondering about which laptops to get for College this year. I'll be attending to the graphic design course. 4k and 3k laptops are terrible since windows UI scale can't cope well with it. So I wanna stick to 1080p. Macbooks pro retina have image retention and yellow tint on display (really, there's a HUGE thread over it on their forum), not to mention they are ridiculously piece of overpriced junk. So I came up with Asus G550K, Asus N550K, Lenovo Y50. N550k seems to be the better choice, G550k is the most beautiful, Y50 is the most powerful. What troubles me is the right panel, since at least in my case, what I see on screen is really important for graphic design. Being that said, glossy IPS (N550K) or matte IPS (G550K)? Good builds are important too, keyboard, a nice trackpad that won't make the mouse cursor jump on screen just by touching it with wrists, good cooling, and well, a 870m or 880m would make my day. I have no budget, the sky is the limit. Although not spending too much would be great since I still gotta get myself a drawing tablet. Any suggestions?

#Hijacked :o Na kidding, I'd recommend making a new thread @HumdrumPenguin this one died a week ago.. :/

Yeah, I'll agree that you'll get more responses if you try and make your own thread here.

But I'll just say that if you want an IPS panel with a 870m/880m then Asus probably won't be of any help to you. To my knowledge, Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that produces gaming laptops with those high-end GPUs with IPS.

Yeah, I'll agree that you'll get more responses if you try and make your own thread here.

But I'll just say that if you want an IPS panel with a 870m/880m then Asus probably won't be of any help to you. To my knowledge, Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that produces gaming laptops with those high-end GPUs with IPS.

Indeed I found the one that seems to appraise me the most. Aeorus X3 Plus by Gigabyte, quoted to be released on Q3. Seems to be the best option. I'll wait for this one. Thanks for your response.