Samsung 850 pro

Richard Burton

SanDisk Extreme Pro also has 10 years warranty

why the need for so long warranty???

why not

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The Samsung 850 Pro SSD is slated for a mid-July release, with MSRP / price as:

120/128GB: $130

240/256GB: $230

480/512GB: $430

960GB/1TB: $730

The MSRP has now been updated:

• 128GB - $129.99 USD ($1.02/GB)
  • 256GB - $199.99 USD ($0.78/GB)
  • 512GB - $399.99 USD ($0.78/GB)
  • 1TB     - $699.99 USD ($0.68/GB)

For comparison, these are the current prices on the EVO line:

• 120GB - $86.39 USD ($0.72/GB)
  • 250GB - $ 129.99USD ($0.52/GB)
  • 500GB - $ 254.99USD ($0.51/GB)
  • 1TB     - $429.25 USD ($0.43/GB)

I have to say, for a high end drive with a brand new type of flash and such a ridiculously long warranty and high consistency, those prices are really good.

The prices are basically the same as the current PRO series. Personally I would be willing to sacrifice the extra endurance and speed for twice the capacity (for example the 500GB EVO for 50 dollars more than the 256GB 850) but we will hopefully see an 850 EVO soon. Another major plus for the 850 compared to the EVO is that it supports eDrive, so you can run BitLocker with next to no performance impact at all.

Now we just have to wait for Samsung to make a SATA Express version with NVMe and preferably a next gen controller as well.

Can't wait to see this technology work it's way to other types of flash based memory like RAM or VRAM

Yay more Xtr3m preformence:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Can't wait to see this technology work it's way to other types of flash based memory like RAM or VRAM

This won't come to RAM since they work in fundamentally different ways and therefore don't suffer from the same weaknesses.

This might come to SD cards, USB memory sticks and the flash used in phones and tablets though. but there won't be that much of a benefit since endurance is not really a concern for those things anyway.

This won't come to RAM since they work in fundamentally different ways and therefore don't suffer from the same weaknesses.

This might come to SD cards, USB memory sticks and the flash used in phones and tablets though. but there won't be that much of a benefit since endurance is not really a concern for those things anyway.

Might not be exactly the same, however for instance Nvidia's upcoming Pascal architecture will feature "3D Memory" which I think is essentially the same as Samsung's vertical NAND, or at least very similar technology

I read the Anandtech review.

448.jpg

I'm actually considering buying the 256GB model. The price premium is not that bad and 3D nand is awesome.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I wouldn't mind giving that 1TB model a test drive.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

An expensive step forward in the short term, but a good long-term investment. I was hoping for better random performance, but it seems like an incremental performance jump.

An 850 right now, at $.75/GB - $1/GB, carries an early adopter premium. I'm excited for the second generation of products.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Been waiting forever to upgrade to an SSD and this seems like a winner to me : D

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I'll probably pick up an 850 Pro 1TB next month. The EVO series offers a great price to performance ratio, but, for me, reliability and stability have always been by far the most important factor when selecting a solid-state drive. You'd be hard-pressed to discern the performance difference between a current 840 Pro with RAPID enabled and a cheap, bottom of the barrel OCZ in a real-life usage scenario, but the reliability/stability difference is beyond measure. When it comes to the device that stores my data, even if I'm just using it as a boot drive, I don't mind paying a premium for MLC, 3D NAND, and a ten-year warranty. I've always been waiting for the Pro series to become available in 1TB capacities. Now I just need ADATA to release their 2TB solid-state drive so I can use it for storage and dispense with mechanical hard disk drives altogether.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

$199 for the 256gb model? That's good, the 840 Pro is around that price and up.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p