290x cf or 780ti sli

What is better for 1440p. My budget is 4k and I can't decide. Please help

Meh .. both will run it fine, but 780ti will kick out much less heat.

neither, both single cards can handle 1440p just fine. no need to waste money

So just go with the cheaper one.

290X X-Fire but other will say 780Ti SLi

if you are playing Watchdogs on Ultra settings then the 4GB VRAM on the 290X will make sense

Single will do the trick but if you want constant 50-60 fps then yes multi GPU is the way

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Meh .. both will run it fine, but 780ti will kick out much less heat.

I'm going to have a custom loop in there so heat is not a problem

neither, both single cards can handle 1440p just fine. no need to waste money

And what if you want ultra 60 FPS. I always find the waste of money argument invalid %90 of the time since it's OPINION! Maybe he wants to max games out at 1440p 60 fps. I know a 780 ti can't do that, so maybe it is worth it to HIM. Anyways for 1440p the 780 ti SLI will be better since you won't really max out the 3GB of memory. In 4k the CF 290x would be better.

290X X-Fire but other will say 780Ti SLi

if you are playing Watchdogs on Ultra settings then the 4GB VRAM on the 290X will make sense

Single will do the trick but if you want constant 50-60 fps then yes multi GPU is the way

so a titan z (well dual sli) jsut for fun his budget is 4000 

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

780 ti will perform better but 290x CF will max almost every game 60 fps (maybe not 8x MSAA, but you can't really see it it at 1440p)

Anyways for 1440p the 780 ti SLI will be better since you won't really max out the 3GB of memory. In 4k the CF 290x would be better.

Kind of irrelevant as he won't max out either of the cards memory.

If I was watercooling I'd get a 290x, because I would feel like the water is more worthwhile because it usually runs so hot but performance will still be similar

If I was watercooling I'd get a 290x, because I would feel like the water is more worthwhile because it usually runs so hot but performance will still be similar

Yeah but the GPU and memory are both faster on the 780 ti, The only advantage the 290x has is the 4GB memory buffer.

I want to try play at max settings with 60fps.

I want to try play at max settings with 60fps.

And also I'm running 2 1440p monitors

you are running dual monitors?

yea then the 290X X-Fire but you need at least 3 GPUs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

And also I'm running 2 1440p monitors

Haha then defo the 290x in my book

So 2 290x should be fine to run 2 1440p monitors at around max settings

max setting may be hard

with 3 GPUs should be the good ballpark figure for max out visuals at 60fps

Are both monitors running the game? So are you running at 5120x1440? If you are then yeah 3 290x should get you there, although some games fon't scale well at ALL with 3 way CF so yeah... If you are using one for gaming and the other for multitasking then a 295X2 or 2 290xs should be fine.

you can't really game properly on 2 monitors (trust me, very bad experience). Might as well use 1 to game and other for just web browsing etc. My suggestions would be pick up either a 780ti or 290x (only one card) and game on 1 1440p monitor. You'll get a good gaming experience and save a lot of money. Now between the 780ti and 290x, that's really up to you. Check some benchmarks between the two and depending on the games you'll play, choose one of these cards. I'd pick 290x, that's just me though.

you can't really game properly on 2 monitors (trust me, very bad experience). Might as well use 1 to game and other for just web browsing etc. My suggestions would be pick up either a 780ti or 290x (only one card) and game on 1 1440p monitor. You'll get a good gaming experience and save a lot of money. Now between the 780ti and 290x, that's really up to you. Check some benchmarks between the two and depending on the games you'll play, choose one of these cards. I'd pick 290x, that's just me though.

Thanks I guess I'll go with one card and game on a single and multitask on the other. When I get a third 1440p monitor i will by 2 more graphics card or just anther.

Thanks I guess I'll go with one card and game on a single and multitask on the other. When I get a third 1440p monitor i will by 2 more graphics card or just anther.

if you are going for 3 1440P monitor

you will need at least 3 to 4 290X GPUs to power all 3 monitors

remember that three 1440P monitors is pushing more than 4K resolutions

290x just because vram, but get nividia if you want cuda or if you want all those streaming features and have a shield. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

I use around 3.5GB in Watch Dogs. With my R9 290. " won't max out either of the cards memory" <--- this argument is dumb as fuck seriously. Especially now that released game uses high quality textures.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

When it comes to dual card solutions then i tend to lean more towards the card with more VRAM, especially if you want to game at 1440p as well as games not being optimised as much for PC due to consoles having unified RAM so more VRAM is needed. Also there is the performance of the 780Ti, which is greater than the R9 290X depending on resolution and the 290X kicks alot of heat.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

And what if you want ultra 60 FPS. I always find the waste of money argument invalid %90 of the time since it's OPINION! Maybe he wants to max games out at 1440p 60 fps. I know a 780 ti can't do that, so maybe it is worth it to HIM. Anyways for 1440p the 780 ti SLI will be better since you won't really max out the 3GB of memory. In 4k the CF 290x would be better.

Who would want 60FPS? 60FPS is a lagfest. Why 60FPS? Seems a bit arbitrary: not 70FPS, not 50 FPS, not 65FPS, no, it must be 60FPS!!! Or do you assume that OP doesn't overclock their monitor... DO YOU ASSUME THAT?! All monitors need to be overclocked... I have never seen a monitor that can't do at least 65Hz, so why not OC your monitor's Hz?