Water Reservoir question

The water in my water reservoir decreases significantly when the pc is turned on. I have the inverse t-virus 250mm res from frozenq and it goes about half empty during operation. Is this normal or do i have an issue in my loop? Secondly, should i attempt to fill the res while its on? The loop has been running for about a year and its gotten worse over the past few months, but im not finding any issues in the loop.

idk why but your not alone it hapens to me. i think it has to do with pressure change 

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

just from common sense, if it goes lower while running then higher when stopped then if you fill it won't it overflow or something when u stop it?

Some pics?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

just from common sense, if it goes lower while running then higher when stopped then if you fill it won't it overflow or something when u stop it?

It would only overflow if the cap is not water tight. I was asking if anyone knows if its safe to fill the res while its running. After i turn the pc off the water will attempt to flow back into a full res and this will cause an increase in pressure. My concern is not knowing the type of pressure i might be dealing with. The res is glass and thus i could end up having the res break if the pressure is too high.

Some pics?

I cant take any right now, but here is an image when i was putting it together and its the same res just half empty... :)

post-28300-0-60603600-1403853323_thumb.j

You may have an air lock caught somewhere and it gets squeezed when the PC is running, but then expands back out when you shut it off, making the res level rise. It definitely shouldn't be doing that.

One question if you don't mind, why are you running your gpu in the bottom slot? You'll find it's probably running at x8 instead of x16, or is it another x16 slot there?

I cant take any right now, but here is an image when i was putting it together and its the same res just half empty... :)

Yep, if you don't have any leaks it's air displacing. I found this: it's worth a read http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276926-29-question-dropping-water-levels

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You may have an air lock caught somewhere and it gets squeezed when the PC is running, but then expands back out when you shut it off, making the res level rise. It definitely shouldn't be doing that.

One question if you don't mind, why are you running your gpu in the bottom slot? You'll find it's probably running at x8 instead of x16, or is it another x16 slot there?

The pic was when i was building my pc and trying out different looks. It really doesnt look too good all jammed up in the top slot so i was experimenting in the bottom slot. But you are right, if i had kept it their i would be getting 8x and not 16x.

Yep, if you don't have any leaks it's air displacing. I found this: it's worth a read http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276926-29-question-dropping-water-levels

Thanks for the article. Its hard to believe i have an air pocket trapped somewhere because i spent a lot of time bleeding it, but since water cant be compressed, i suppose it makes sense that there must be a pocket of air somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

That reservoir is not glass, it is polycarbonate. The only issue you could possibly have if you fill it while its running would be possible leaking, but only if it has a weak seal. You're air pocket is most likely in the top mounted radiator. What i have done in the past is take it down, run it as a low point in the loop and work the air out that way.