Raging at Firefox; what else could I use?

Go to solution Solved by Bagmup,

Waterfox?

I stayed with v28 because I agree the "australis" design is poo. If your firefox was crashing a lot then I would recommend screening the ram with memtest just to make sure it isn't going bad or having trouble with an OC. Other than that, a profile refresh or waterfox, as you're doing, is the best move.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

I stayed with v28 because I agree the "australis" design is poo. If your firefox was crashing a lot then I would recommend screening the ram with memtest just to make sure it isn't going bad or having trouble with an OC. Other than that, a profile refresh or waterfox, as you're doing, is the best move.

Just a warning that you're fine for now, but in a few months you can expect some extensions to no longer support FF28 because there are a few new extension features that have been added in FF29 and 30. I can assure you that austrialis is practically good once you get used to it though, but you do have to use it for a bit for that to happen.

Interesting stats: Out of the 112 LTT Notifier addon users on the 25th June, 90 were using the latest version of Firefox, FF30, and 6 were using FF28. There are certainly some people who have done the same as you, but most people have moved on.

HTTP/2 203

Just a warning that you're fine for now, but in a few months you can expect some extensions to no longer support FF28 because there are a few new extension features that have been added in FF29 and 30. I can assure you that austrialis is practically good once you get used to it though, but you do have to use it for a bit for that to happen.

Interesting stats: Out of the 112 LTT Notifier addon users on the 25th June, 90 were using the latest version of Firefox, FF30, and 6 were using FF28. There are certainly some people who have done the same as you, but most people have moved on.

Yea, I guess when my extensions/plugins start to drop I'll move up. I tried 29 & 30 for a few weeks and used the classic theme restorer plugin (which helped), but overall I don't think they should've messed with the design or at least gave a choice between old and australis. I like to customize the layout and the new menu system seemed like too big a hassle to relearn (maybe I'm just lazy with firefox). I also heard that they were going to integrate some sort of ad system into the browser on the open new tab page iirc (don't know if they are still going to do that). That convinced my to stay with v28 for now. I havn't tried out the LTT browser plugin yet. I'll look it up and see if it does anything I need.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

Yea, I guess when my extensions/plugins start to drop I'll move up. I tried 29 & 30 for a few weeks and used the classic theme restorer plugin (which helped), but overall I don't think they should've messed with the design or at least gave a choice between old and australis. I like to customize the layout and the new menu system seemed like too big a hassle to relearn (maybe I'm just lazy with firefox). I also heard that they were going to integrate some sort of ad system into the browser on the open new tab page iirc (don't know if they are still going to do that). That convinced my to stay with v28 for now. I havn't tried out the LTT browser plugin yet. I'll look it up and see if it does anything I need.

The ad thing was massively over-reacted to - it was just Mozilla possibly allowing websites to fill placeholders on the new tab page, rather than having them blank for new users. It would only affect brand new users, and really isn't as bad as it was made out to be.

I only brought up the LTT notifier because I had some interesting stats based on its users (this forum). Feel free to use it though :D

HTTP/2 203

I've sorted out everything to work with Waterfox and so far it's been perfect. I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and I've not had any of the problems I've had with FF and the watch later list works again, too (that was another issue).

Bookmarks and history all copied across and restored (~60MB for 1.5 years worth of browser usage history doesn't sound too bad).

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: How do I mark solved or can I not do that in this section?

I've sorted out everything to work with Waterfox and so far it's been perfect. I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and I've not had any of the problems I've had with FF and the watch later list works again, too (that was another issue).

Bookmarks and history all copied across and restored (~60MB for 1.5 years worth of browser usage history doesn't sound too bad).

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: How do I mark solved or can I not do that in this section?

Next to "Quote" and "MultiQuote" there should be a "Mark Solved" button.

HTTP/2 203

Next to "Quote" and "MultiQuote" there should be a "Mark Solved" button.

Hahaha! So there is. I'm blind as a bat. Cheers!

Hey guys, I've been a user of Firefox since about 2003 or so and I've loved it until the last couple of years. Since V18 it's gone severely downhill but it's been getting worse since V4 came out. V29 of Firefox has just made me give up on it though. I mean, it's basically Google Chrome now (which I don't like) and it's also causing me countless issues now. Youtube doesn't work on Firefox properly and will often BSOD my computer, using another browser works fine. I've tried removing all of my add-ons too and it's still useless.

So, I'm looking for an alternative... My needs aren't exactly simple, though, so I come to you people for suggestions.

On Firefox, I use (in order of importance to me):

- Adblock Plus

- Youtube Centre

- Greasemonkey

- LinusTechTips Notifier (Good work, by the way!)

- Classic Theme Restorer

Obviously these things will be different in different browsers, but I need Adblock (I have it off on the forum and a other few places, but I can barely use the rest of the internet without it).

Youtube Centre is quite important to me as it lets me switch off Dash Playback which is useful for me as I watch HD Youtube but only have a 5Mb/s download line (so I can pause and load videos before watching). It also makes using Youtube a much more pleasant experience than Google have made it lately.

I use Greasemonkey for the odd script that I want to run.

The LTT Notifier is really useful, but I'm hardly on the forums these days so It's not that useful to me these days.

Finally, I've got the Classic Theme Restorer because I can't stand the ridiculously unintuitive UI that they've completely ripped from Chrome. It'll obviously not be necessary on a different browser (as long as it looks good enough.

So... Are there any other options out there? If so; what? Is there an up to date Firefox V3.5 clone or at least a V4 clone? Or something else that is as nice to use as that and has the functionality I need?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR: the wonderful Firefox browser is now... terrible. What else can I use that has good addons?

I had a similar problem with firefox well, not really, but whenever I would use AdBlock, everything would load in HTML Text, so no pictures no styling etc. So I was essentially forced to use chrome and then my computer's HDD would not boot and ended up reinstalling firefox then worked with AdBlock Plus, but it was so dumb and hard to deal with. (I actually posted a topic about it on here.)

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I said what I don't like about Chrome; it's unintuitive and I don't like it because of that. Also because of the fact that I know so many people who've had countless issues with it. When I've used it, I've also found it to be quite slow.

I can't accept this aver from even the most novice computer users. My almost 90 year old grandparents use Chrome daily, successfully, for a variety of different browsing tasks.

As for speed, Chrome is unquestionably faster, especially after the 64bit update. It also has amazing extensions and apps.

I dare you to try the stable channel.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

@colonel_mortis would there be any adverse effect from installing and using waterfox alongside normal firefox? i'm thinking about trying it but don't want to undo all my current stuff.

I can't accept this aver from even the most novice computer users. My almost 90 year old grandparents use Chrome daily, successfully, for a variety of different browsing tasks.

As for speed, Chrome is unquestionably faster, especially after the 64bit update. It also has amazing extensions and apps.

I dare you to try the stable channel.

It's those damned "touch friendly" menus that I hate. Look at FF V4-28 and you'll see that there's no "touch friendly" buttons. There's menus and small buttons in consistent locations and everything makes sense. Look at Chrome or FF V29+ and you get big buttons that waste a lot of space, placed in peculiar positions. A "one menu does all" thing which is ('scuse the language) f***ing horrible and unintuitive.

As to the speed, well I haven't tried using Chrome as my default browser for a long time, but certainly when I last did, things (images/thumbnails) would only be placed on the screen once they'd loaded and that meant that web pages were moving themselves around the whole time whereas on FF, a blank image would appear until it had loaded and then it would appear without moving things around. Not only that, but FF seemed to do all of that in a lot less time than Chrome managed to by just shoving them in as it went. I also don't like the styling in Chrome or the new FF as to me, it's too modernised. I want my browser to be simple, fast and clean; straight edges and very boring to look at. Also highly customisable and very easy to tweak. Chrome isn't bad at that, but it's not as good as FF from what I've seen.

Not sure what you mean by "the stable channel", though.

@colonel_mortis would there be any adverse effect from installing and using waterfox alongside normal firefox? i'm thinking about trying it but don't want to undo all my current stuff.

When I've tried using two different version of Firefox together in the past, they've always accessed the same stuff and it did seem to behave a little weirdly. There's probably some way to make them work entirely separately, though.

When I've tried using two different version of Firefox together in the past, they've always accessed the same stuff and it did seem to behave a little weirdly. There's probably some way to make them work entirely separately, though.

Ok, I'll hold off then since it's not a priority. If Firefox starts being an idiot then i might do something with it then.