Uh... any alternative keyboards?

Go to solution Solved by SageC,

Gamdias Hermes, I own it and it works great besides the absurdly huge wrist rest, but it's removable so it doesn't really matter.

I apologize beforehand for this being long winded. There is a TLDR section below.

I have been looking for a keyboard to attach to a pseudo-desktop laptop setup. The keyboard that i am currently using is one of those flat silicon keyboards. Let me tell you, it is annoying to use, with the high pressure points, uncomfortable keys, and the lack of stabilizers. It lead me to make several typing mistakes before I notice it, which you will probably see here.

So i have been looking for an actual keyboard. Looking at all the specifications, reviews, and hyperboles, I've found my definition of a "perfect keyboard": Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue + Red LED 108 key. Sadly, NCIX, the only store to sell it in Canada, has run out of stock for not only this model, but DS3s in general. It says that it is still buyable, but I can only assume that it is being phased out in favor of the Shine 4. From what I saw from Tek Syndicate's Computex videos, that keyboard looked absolutely fugly IMO.

I've been trying to find similar keyboard, with little to no success. So I'm hoping that you know any options in Canadian or International markets.

TL;DR :

I am looking for a keyboards that is the best compromise of these features that I seek:

- Full keyboard (yes, I actually need a numpad)

- Cherry MX Blue

- Red LED backlight (again, more important for me than some would claim)

- A usable function key

- Dedicated media/macro keys that does not impede desk space

- Simplistic design

- $150 CAD or below

Other features like USB passthrough and dial knobs, are not so important for me. I could live without them.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

The upcoming EVGA keyboard will have all that. The K90/K95 would too.

Maybe get something from maxbeyboard.com

Is EVGA starting to make everything now?

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

A man can dream.

"EVGA will introduce their automobile industry in 2020. These new vehicles will have PC's powered by Intel and Nvidia."

I bet you would buy an EVGA coffee mug wouldn't you?

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I have the ducky shine zero, it's the best keyboard for gaming and typing I've had so far. I personally would recommend a ducky, like the ducky shine 3.

"EVGA will introduce their automobile industry in 2020. These new vehicles will have PC's powered by Intel and Nvidia."

I bet you would buy an EVGA coffee mug wouldn't you?

I probably would. I would also buy a tee shirt if the only one they sold weren't only in XXXXXXXXXL.

I probably would. I would also buy a tee shirt if the only one they sold weren't only in XXXXXXXXXL.

What EVGA plushies? Or just EVGA boxes?

:o A plushy would be nice.

No one's made one yet.

Anyway, I know Ducky has an orange and/or red LED back-lit mech keyboard and Cooler Master has a couple red LED back-lit keyboards that are also Cherry MX Blue. You could go with a custom keyboard, but I bet that would be over-budget.

Gamdias Hermes, I own it and it works great besides the absurdly huge wrist rest, but it's removable so it doesn't really matter.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

How about the Ducky Shine 3

I have the ducky shine zero, it's the best keyboard for gaming and typing I've had so far. I personally would recommend a ducky, like the ducky shine 3.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I have already stated that it is not an option. I really wish it was though... :(

The upcoming EVGA keyboard will have all that. The K90/K95 would too.

Maybe get something from maxbeyboard.com

The K90 has membrane keys in some locations, so it will feel odd. The K95 looks somewhat bulky, but maybe its just me. I haven't heard of these boards being in Cherry MX blues, so... i dunno

Isn't Max where you get fully custom orders for keyboards? If so, I wonder how that would work in Canada.

Corsair K70?

With that many macro keys to the left, it leaves almost no room for my mouse. It is also exclusively Cherry MX Red AFAIK. But i may consider this option.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I've been reading about this; it looks impressive. Is there any outstanding complaints? Can the dampeners be removed without going to extensive modifications?

I've been reading about this; It looks impressive. is there any outstanding complaints? Can the dampeners be removed without going to extensive modifications?

No, not really, the software's good the build quality feels really nice and gives the keyboard some weight. Like I said the wrist rest is pretty ridiculous and takes up like half your desk but it's completely optional so wouldn't really consider that a fault. The rubber dampeners could be removed but there's one for every key so that's a hell of a lot of them, but with a pair of tweezers and a key cap puller you could definitely do it.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I have already stated that it is not an option. I really wish it was though... :(

The K90 has membrane keys in some locations, so it will feel odd. The K95 looks somewhat bulky, but maybe its just me. I haven't heard of these boards being in Cherry MX blues, so... i dunno

Isn't Max where you get fully custom orders for keyboards? If so, I wonder how that would work in Canada.

With that many macro keys to the left, it leaves almost no room for my mouse. It is also exclusively Cherry MX Red AFAIK. But i may consider this option.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ ships to canada 

I love this site because they have incoming stock and just arrived pages they update after making/receiving orders. Try to check it regularly, I'm sure you can find one there if you have some patience.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Gamdius hermes essential has what you are looking for i think. Good keyboard with lots of macro keys, MX blue, Red leds, the only thing is that the LED's aren't the brightest. 

Corsair K70

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Ok, one thing I find weird is the two copies of Hermes that is being sold. According to the readings, the 'essentials' is MX black while the 'ultimate' is MX blue and wrist rest for $10 extra. Can someone confirm or deny this? 

No one's made one yet.

Anyway, I know Ducky has an orange and/or red LED back-lit mech keyboard and Cooler Master has a couple red LED back-lit keyboards that are also Cherry MX Blue. You could go with a custom keyboard, but I bet that would be over-budget.

Where does one purchase a custom keyboard?

Where does one purchase a custom keyboard?

I'm not sure. wasdkeyboards.com?

I have purchased the Gamdias Hermes Ultimate for $115 ($20 off) from Canada Computer. The software and media functions are taking some getting used to, but I am extremely satisfied with the experience. In fact, due to the set-up of the desk, I was actually able to utilize the wrist rest.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. If @SageC had not mentioned the Hermes, I would have never known it existed.  :ph34r:

No one's made one yet.

Holy crap EVGA needs an epic mascot and a cute one. I would love to have everything EVGA, even my organs. 

Damn it I forgot to type what I wanted to recommend because of the EVGA thing. Anyways the only real keyboards that satisfy that are what people have already said including EVGA's and Corsair's.

Edited by Laforet

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️