PC won't turn on after new cpu cooler installation

Go to solution Solved by MrLewisMHarris,

first off if the T4 cooler slid around a little when you were putting it on, then it doesn't really matter, happens all the time.

secondly, if the CPU was ripped out when you tried to take the stock AMD cooler off then you may have damaged either the pins on the CPU or the Installation mount on the motherboard. Check both for visible damage if you are able to.

if you take the CPU back out check that all the pins are straight and that none are bent even slightly. If any are bent they you may be able to get away with just using pliers to straighten them again.

Another reason why this might have happened is that when your dad used a sharp knife to pry the cooler off the CPU it may have discharged (or subsequently charged) a current of electricity, known as static. If that is the case then it is most likely done and dusted I'm afraid.

hope this helped

I bought a CM hyper T4 for my AMD fx 4130.

Me and my dad were gonna install it. When we took out the stock cpu cooler, the cpu somehow stuck to the bottom of it, with the retention arm on the cpu socket still being closed. So my dad pryed it off with a sharp knife, but it came off and no damage was visible to the cpu or the pins. So i opened the little arm and placed the cpu back in the socket, but i didn't put it in the right way tho, it was about 1 mm off, so i repositioned it and everything was fine, i put down the arm. We put on the thermal paste and placed the hyper t4 on the cpu. While i was trying to put on the notch to secure it, the cooler was sliding a little bit, but i don't think that was such a big problem. So after we finished, we plugged everything in and turned on the PC. What is strange, that the PC was running, every single fan was spinning, but nothing showed up on the monitor. We are gonna take it apart tomorrow to check things. Please tell me, what should we look out for, or what could be the problem, thank you

it's smoked, been that from the moment you removed it, you can't be able to remove the CPU, the arm is still closed down and put it back in and call it day, your socket Hold down Plat, the whole machanisme is broken, and the CPU can be even a micro mm off .

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

first off if the T4 cooler slid around a little when you were putting it on, then it doesn't really matter, happens all the time.

secondly, if the CPU was ripped out when you tried to take the stock AMD cooler off then you may have damaged either the pins on the CPU or the Installation mount on the motherboard. Check both for visible damage if you are able to.

if you take the CPU back out check that all the pins are straight and that none are bent even slightly. If any are bent they you may be able to get away with just using pliers to straighten them again.

Another reason why this might have happened is that when your dad used a sharp knife to pry the cooler off the CPU it may have discharged (or subsequently charged) a current of electricity, known as static. If that is the case then it is most likely done and dusted I'm afraid.

hope this helped

If you found my post helpful make sure to press the "Like This" Button  ;)

There are some assholes on the pre-built PC industry that use thermal paste instead of thermal compound, I've seen it dozens of times. Check if the CPU has any bent pins, and if it does, straight them up carefully. You can only hope for the best.

Thanks guys, we figured out the problem. Turns out that when the CPU was ripped out of the socket, and then put back, there was something wrong with the socket, but we only noticed it now. The cpu was rocking back and forth in it if we pushed it. I look away for 1 second and my dad says, I GOT IT! it was solidly in place, i don't know how he did it, but know everything works fine, the cooler works also :))