Nintendo Looking At Unifying Handheld And Console Games

GoodBytes

In an interview with Top Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, reveals that he and the company are looking into merging both its handheld and home consoles into one, allowing games from one system to play on the other, reports DailyTech.

Shigeru-Miyamoto-1.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto says:

What I can say is, certainly, within Nintendo the fact that our development environment for our home console is different from the development environment for our portable system is certainly an area of stress or challenge for the development teams. So as we move forward, we're going to look at what we can do to unify the two development environments.

Of course, nothing is concrete, but this is definitely something that the company is invested in looking, as Nintendo built a building which will bring both console development together, and work together, for a more integrative experience,

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/Nintendos+Top+Designer+Were+Looking+to+Unify+Mobile+Console+Games/article36107.htm

Could it be Nintendo looking increase a WinRT like infrastructure where games developed on it, could run on both console? Will it share similar hardware?

Only time can tell. But it is nice to hear that Nintendo is hard at work for it's next console already, and definitively wants to innovate in new ways, and not turn itself into a PlayStation replica, and play price war with the 2 other companies.

I would be pretty amazing to play a game on the home console, and continue on the fly on the portable system with (obviously) reduce graphics, but still the same game, when on the go.

In the mean time, it looks like this kid is happy by seeing Miyamoto playing his Mario level in Mario Maker, at E3 2014 event.

Nintendo-E3-1.jpg

(image source: Forbes - http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/12/nintendos-treehouse-and-digital-event-strategy-is-the-future-of-e3/)

This would be cool if they develop multiple version of the same game and don't try for system parity or running the same app on all platforms, I look forward to seeing how they tackle the touch only control input of mobile devices when creating a game that also functions on a console with a wholly different input method.

I don't see a problem with this at all. I would love to be able to play a game on my WiiU (if I had one) and then pick up where I left off on my 3DS, so I can play it on the go, and vice versa for playing games on a 3DS and then playing them on a much bigger screen.

So yes, I approve of this. If it deters how a game plays and looks though, I dunno if I would be up for it, but we shall see.

EDIT: If they were to implement this for future 3DS/WiiU games, then yes, I would more than likely buy a WiiU simply for the fact that I could play my 3DS games on a bigger screen.

COMIC SANS

This would be cool if they develop multiple version of the same game and don't try for system parity or running the same app on all platforms, I look forward to seeing how they tackle the touch only control input of mobile devices when creating a game that also functions on a console with a wholly different input method.

Mobile is used to indicate the 3DS type of mobile device, not smartphones.

Mobile is used to indicate the 3DS type of mobile device, not smartphones.

Oh! Ok that's wholly different then, when I hear the term 'mobile' I automatically think to the mobile (tablet/smartphone) gaming market (which eclipses handheld consoles).

This is kinda old, its been arumor for a  long time, I guess this justifies it more, but the nintendo fusion has been along known rumor

Diamond 5 in League :)

Nintendo-E3-1.jpg

Suddenly I like Miyamoto a lot :) not a lot of top game designers of big companies actually care to interact with their end users so directly.

As for the news, it would be cool  if they could manage to make the game be essentially the same software but with the option (that your hardware would change for you) to run in a downscaled scaled "3DS-mode" on the mobile platform. That would save them a lot of development time and possibly would allow games to be crossplatform between the two consoles, as if if you own the 3DS cartridge you'd be able to use it on the wii u for improved graphical fidelity and resolution and if you have the disc they could implement a feature that allows you to digitally transfer the game on a third party cartridge for the handheld.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is kinda old, its been arumor for a  long time, I guess this justifies it more, but the nintendo fusion has been along known rumor

Previous rumors were of Nintendo bringing some of their games to smartphones and tablets, not for unifying 3DS and WiiU games.

Source: http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will-be-releasing-free-mini-games-on-1510204063

Buuuuut they denied that, so...

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-denies-smartphone-game-rumors-1510618998

COMIC SANS

Or if they just made a unified copy of the game so you insert the DS cartridge into any Nintendo system and it uses the appropriate settings. Although Nintendo would lose money. They should just go fully digital like PC mostly is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Oh! Ok that's wholly different then, when I hear the term 'mobile' I automatically think to the mobile (tablet/smartphone) gaming market (which eclipses handheld consoles).

Handheld! I the word I was looking for! Thanks. I will correct that.

I really hope this doesn't increase the price o the next handheld. The 3ds is nice and cheap 

That being said, I would be very excited for there to be  huge bump in graphics and power for the next generation handhelds so if that is the cost then so be it

Suddenly I like Miyamoto a lot :) not a lot of top game designers of big companies actually care to interact with their end users so directly.

At E3 event, I forgot which video I saw, but there was Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma (director of the recent Zelda games), also signed the cast of a kid playing. And the kid didn't event ask, he was checking out a game.

I agree. It's nice to see the guys at Nintendo being open and direct. Apparently, every creator was on the floor at Nintendo booth, collecting themselves user feedback for the showed games.

This is signs that Nintendo really wants to do a come back, and please its fans. However, it is a shame that Nintendo (either it's lawyers, or top managers), don't understand Let's Play's, and user created content and wants to try and monetizes on them, even thought, they are the ones that keeps Nintendo awareness, pushes to the non-gamers that video games isn't about war war and more war, by pushing Nintendo franchises. It's free advertisement, they should promote that. They should promote game streaming as well. Even though it is mostly crap, it's the openness that count. I hope for them they will reverse this decision soon, 'cause I think it will hurt them badly in the long run.

it is a shame that Nintendo (either it's lawyers, or top managers), don't understand Let's Play's

I agree, but fortunately I care more about MY esperience than let's plays :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*