MX100 VS EVO - 30$ Difference, What should I buy?

Eargasm

Hi,

I want to buy an ~250GB ssd...

The difference in my country between the EVO and the MX100 is 30$, Many people said that the actual preformance difference (real time - windows, browsing, games, etc) is so minor and I'll not notice any difference between them, and I should buy the cheapest...

the Evo is 167$
the mx100 is 137$
I checked everything and buying from the USA and ship to my country is pretty much the same price, and here I get a real warranty, so it worth the difference...

So, MX100 or Evo?

Thanks!

evo

i trust samsung more

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i would take the cheaper one, definitely at that price, what you lose is some life time of the speed, and some write speed, but you dont really need write speed ever.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

ordered a 512GB mx100 today.

I doubt that the performance difference to my 840 EVO (if there even is any) is noticable.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Mx100 if its the 512GB model (just received mine today). It has similar read / write and 4K speeds. It does however use MLC instead of TLC which increases the life spab of the drive. It also features maby protections found on the m500, which are not present on the evo (eg anti surge protection).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Thank you guys, you are amazing!

So, should I take the 512GB instead for 225$? 

I want to order now, I have the money in my paypal (from ebay, got 220$ net from 10 dropships :D)

Hi,

I want to buy an ~250GB ssd...

The difference in my country between the EVO and the MX100 is 30$, Many people said that the actual preformance difference (real time - windows, browsing, games, etc) is so minor and I'll not notice any difference between them, and I should buy the cheapest...

the Evo is 167$

the mx100 is 137$

I checked everything and buying from the USA and ship to my country is pretty much the same price, and here I get a real warranty, so it worth the difference...

So, MX100 or Evo?

Thanks!

Be careful. The 240gb doesn't have quite the same good specs as the 512 for the MX100. That said, will you really see a difference? Probably not. I'd go with the value and get the MX100. I just bought 2 240's from Amazon.ca for $110 ea. Couldn't pass up that value.

For those on the fence, go read Brian Beeler's article about the future of all these SSD companies. I think he makes a compelling argument. Doesn't mean he's right but something to think about.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Be careful. The 240gb doesn't have quite the same good specs as the 512 for the MX100. That said, will you really see a difference? Probably not. I'd go with the value and get the MX100. I just bought 2 240's from Amazon.ca for $110 ea. Couldn't pass up that value.

For those on the fence, go read Brian Beeler's article about the future of all these SSD companies. I think he makes a compelling argument. Doesn't mean he's right but something to think about.

Oh, I can put 2 of the 256gb at raid 0, its worth it over 512?

Oh, I can put 2 of the 256gb at raid 0, its worth it over 512?

just get a single (larger) ssd pls ... it will outperform a raid 0 in many tasks.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

just get a single (larger) ssd pls ... it will outperform a raid 0 in many tasks.

Just ordered the MX100 512GB from newegg :)

Thanks!

Excuse me, but let me hijack this thread instead of making a new one yes? :)

I have a similar problem but rather: MX100 or 850 EVO?

Heads up: I am talking about the 512 / 500 GB models, I wouldn't buy any lower capacities because of the substantial drop in performance

I was squinting at the 840 EVO for quite some time but in never got quite low enough for me to jump on it (I was trying to snatch a bargain on Ebay).

Then the MX100 came out and has similar (if not better) performance (considering the EVO uses some nifty tricks to only boost low performance) at a lower price - low enough for me to insta-buy.

But around the same time came out rumors about the upcoming 850 (which should be in a month or so) [i can't quite remember the timeframe for it to come out neither if this generation features VNAND or the next one].

Now I am not sure - should I buy the MX100 now or wait for the 850 EVO? Dont get me wrong this is not one of those questions "should I wait for x possibly?" - I just want to make sure I am not disappointed because I buy now and in one month the 850 EVO comes out which might be better in performance or lower the price of the 840 even below the MX100's.

Do you have heard of rumors about the 850 too? (I read once about it but then never found it again - but it wasn't an unreliable source)

Do you think it might lower the 840's price? (I am not very familiar with the SSD market, just observed it for like a month or two)

Am I totally stupid and should just buy the MX100 now and wait 2-3 years till 3D NAND has matured?

I hope you understand my train of thought - I'm not good at phrasing stuff - and can help me make up my mind^^.

And sorry for hijacking again^^