HDD Raid configuration for 1440p 60fps recording

skullbringer

Hey,

recently I upgraded from 1080p to a 1440p screen. My old hdd's (4-year old Barracuda) writespeeds are too slow for capturing with 60pfs at this resolution (e.g. BF3).

So I am planning on buying some new HDD(s). Because I don't want a noisy HDD I thought I might get two slower, smaller, quieter ones like the WD green series drives and put them in a RAID 0.

Is this the right decision? Are faster drives (e.g Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003) really that much louder? If yes, what drives should I get then, 2x WD Green WD10EARX?

Thanks in advance guys!

[h=1][/h]

[h=1][/h]

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Be careful when buying Green drives, as certain revisions had issues with the Green features (most notably head parking) actually causing the drive to die very quickly if not used explicitly as a storage drive (few writes/reads overall, and mostly continuous reads). I believe that the EARS series is the specific drive with that issue as well as dropping out of RAID arrays, so I wouldn't buy that drive. In general, Green is not a good choice for RAID, as it is slower than 7200 RPM drives by design, and is not designed for RAID (nor, for that matter, are most consumer drives).

If you want a RAID array, WD Red is designed specifically for RAID and NAS, and is a 7200 RPM drive.

I can't say anything about Seagate in RAID (never done it), but if you're doing video capture at that kind of resolution, you either need an SSD with good write speeds or may have to make a trade-off for speed vs. noise if you want HDDs.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Do not use green drives for any kind of raid (unless they are 3 year old EADS drives), it will die because of bad sector errors.

Get WD RED, BLACK or RE4, or get Seagate or hitachi,

another think you can do is look up hardware compatibility lists for nas systems, if QNAP for instance says a certain drive will work in there nas, it will also work in you system

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Do not use green drives for any kind of raid (unless they are 3 year old EADS drives), it will die because of bad sector errors.

another think you can do is look up hardware compatibility lists for nas systems, if QNAP for instance says a certain drive will work in there nas, it will also work in you system

Do you know anything about the EURS series (meant for video recording) running in RAID? I believe they have TLER enabled.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

look at hardware comparability lists for nas manufactures

personally i never tested EADS.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<