Kingston and PNY ARE NOT Bait and Switching SSDs

Brainiac777

This article: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/1511-pny-kingston-how-this-industry-works

States that Kingston and PNY aren't "scamming" their customers as quoted:

"Scam," "fraud," "shadiness," and "lawsuit" are all words that have been somewhat haphazardly plastered across forums and websites this past week, with particular disdain expressed toward SSD makers Kingston and PNY. The internet's bandwagon mentality almost mandates a perpetuity of rage without necessitating a fundamental understanding of the industry toward which that rage is directed. It is an unfortunate side effect of social media that 'shares' and 'likes' will undoubtedly be attributed toward advocacy campaigns without the sharers ever reading accompanying links -- let alone clicking them.

Here's the deal: We wrote about Kingston's NAND switch in its V300 a few months ago, whereupon the synchronous NAND V300 was benchmarked against its asynchronous successor. The controversy here was spurred-on by Anandtech, whose writers had spotted user-conducted benchmarks of the V300 SSD on its own forums; the benchmarks consistently showed performance lower than what professional reviewers had seen a year prior. The reason, it was discovered, was a result of a supply-side change of the NAND Flash utilized in the device. Although Kingston shipped the V300 with its original BOM for an entire year, it recently switched from Toshiba's 19nm Toggle-Mode 2.0 NAND to a 20nm Micron alternative; this was entirely for cost and supply reasons, we're told by Kingston, but users have seen a performance impact from the switch.

Kingston sent its V300 to reviewers more than a year ago now (4Q12 / 1Q13, from memory). As always, it received numerous reviews throughout the initial sample seeding cycle, then began shipping to market in short order. Consumers who purchased the device would find that their models performed almost identically to media samples, when tested properly. It wasn't until around December of 2013, a full year after its announcement, that changes were found in shipping retail models.

A very similar story is true for PNY.

Nope, it's still bullshit: it would literally take em no efford to rename them as the "v301" All companies run into demand issues but if you were to buy a brand new Maxwell Nvidia card and you got a rebranded Kepler one, you'd be fucking pissed if they labeled and sold it to you as "Nvidia 880" without telling you they downgraded it to a 780.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There are so many instances of different versions of power supplies being released in quick succession. The CX v1, v2 and v3 for example. Calling it a v301 or v310 or something would've been easy. I assume the reason they didn't was because the 'v310' would be slower than the current v300, and they already have good press for the v300.

There are so many instances of different versions of power supplies being released in quick succession. The CX v1, v2 and v3 for example. Calling it a v301 or v310 or something would've been easy. I assume the reason they didn't was because the 'v310' would be slower than the current v300, and they already have good press for the v300.

Even so:

V300s as in "slower"

V299

V200+100

B300

I mean shit I can come up with more names than people who come up with excuses for it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wait, so they DID change the part out? And people DID see a performance decrease compared to the initial release model? So they ARE selling an under performing product?

gg OP

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Wait, so they DID change the part out? And people DID see a performance decrease compared to the initial release model? So they ARE selling an under performing product?

gg OP

The point isn't the performance decrease, the point is that Kingston and PNY did not send out faster units to reviewers and give crappy ones to the consumers, they changed it for everyone.

The point isn't the performance decrease, the point is that Kingston and PNY did not send out faster units to reviewers and give crappy ones to the consumers, they changed it for everyone.

Did they advertise the change, though? Was it still advertised as having the original part? Did they drop the price accordingly? I'm genuinely curious :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Did they advertise the change, though? Was it still advertised as having the original part? Did they drop the price accordingly? I'm genuinely curious :)

It's on the article: They didn't advertise the change and so far have not apologized or anything for it saying it's "industry standard"

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's on the article

Heh, I know. I'd like to hear it from the OP as the thread title is pretty misleading.

Oh, so companies can do whatever they want with products that have been more than 1 year on the market. Seems legit. Imagine if Nvidia started selling GTX 780s with the performance of 770s after 1 year of being released because of "cost and supply reasons". This kind of behaviour must be erradicated and punished. 

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Oh, so companies can do whatever they want with products that have been more than 1 year on the market. Seems legit. Imagine if Nvidia started selling GTX 780s with the performance of 770s after 1 year of being released because of "cost and supply reasons". This kind of behaviour must be erradicated and punished. 

Or praised and encouraged on the corrupt side of the industry.   :D

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Or praised and encouraged on the corrupt side of the industry.   :D

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they end up recieveing a class action lawsuit.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I can notice the rhetoric from your questions, and as I've stated before, that's not the issue with this problem. Companies do not have to advertise the changes they make to their products, while I agree that it is wrong since it is lying to the customer, it should not be a surprise. Many other companies have done things like this, Nvidia quietly released a GTX 460 V2 with a lower memory bus, and Intel changed their TIM on their CPUs without any notice. If you don't like the change, then don't buy the product.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they end up recieveing a class action lawsuit.

It won't stop other corporations from pulling shit like this. You know how humans and greed are.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

They changed it for everyone, except the reviews are out there and they aren't handing more out for reviews. They kept the change quiet.

I can notice the rhetoric from your questions, and as I've stated before, that's not the issue with this problem. Companies do not have to advertise the changes they make to their products, while I agree that it is wrong since it is lying to the customer, it should not be a surprise.

They do have to: slightly change the product name or state the change, otherwise it constitutes false advertising in many jurisdictions

Just because it's a widespread crime or many get away with it doesn't makes it any less of a crime: stop minimizing it

-------

Current Rig

-------

This happens all the time with tons of stuff. Anyone notice the disclaimer on the product pages? That's there for this reason.

It won't stop other corporations from pulling shit like this. You know how humans and greed are.

Unless people stop buying their products, which is why this scandal was created in the first place, to boycott PNY and Kingston. The thing I don't understand is why some people are trying to justify their actions, like the article in this thread.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

So, have Kingston and/or PNY came out and have made an official statement yet?

Until then, as far as I know, they cannot be trusted and that will remain so until they fix this.

All their future products will now be under a watchful eye and scrutinized harshly just because of this.

Do not bite the hand that feeds you.

So, have Kingston and/or PNY came out and have made an official statement yet?

Until then, as far as I know, they cannot be trusted and that will remain so until they fix this.

All their future products will now be under a watchful eye and scrutinized harshly just because of this.

Do not bite the hand that feeds you.

Worst of all, they could have renamed the new one and they would have still sold a lot of them, because they still are the cheapest SSDs. But they chose to get more profits in the short term and that is really going to hurt their profits in the long term, unless they actually make an official statement and apologize for their actions.

Dear Kingston and PNY, the people that buy SSDs are mainly enthusiasts, not sheep like a large part of Apple customers. You can't get away with things like this.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

and still no one reads my posts...

People do not have to reply to your post to have read it, and why does it matter so much? You are immature.

People do not have to reply to your post to have read it, and why does it matter so much? You are immature.

Yep im totally immature...

I could care less if people reply to them. What bugs me is when I see following posts completely disregard them and keeping on going about the same thing even when a piece of information that they never apparently considered is presented.

and still no one reads my posts...

I read your posts, I tend to read everyone's posts unless I come across a thread that is 10+ pages long and everyone is simply repeating a variation of the same comments over and over again. With those topics I skim through for members I recognize, like you for example. In your other post you defended Kingston and PNY, saying that the disclaimers are there for a reason. I have always been of the opinion that disclaimers are worthless because they essentially claim that everything you have seen advertised about the product may be entirely false and/or changed at a moments notice and that corporations have a self awarded "right" to screw everyone over because they claim not to be responsible for any of their actions. That's like walking around with a shirt that says I could kill someone at any moment and because I wore that shirt I am no longer responsible for my actions nor can I be punished when I decide to go on a killing spree.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB