The Term " Next Gen" annoys me.

Chris_nz

Hello Community,

hopefully this aint a repost of something older

Just wanted to post this cause it annoys me,

The Term "next gen" is a term I feel is used to Loosely when it comes to the world of gaming

I just read a post from IGN saying "2015 is the year for next Gen gaming"

What is Next gen to you guys.?

To me, Next Gen is Something never been done before in gaming or is a new line of products e.g DDR4

I feel  saying like BF4 was next Gen back when it came out didnt really feel next gen, because there are so many shooter games,

sure it might have certain features like dynamic scenes or what not, but yeah

I hope I dont offend or Annoy people, I just wanted to get it off my Chest

Would Love to know your guys opinion ( Especially Linus)

Cheers!!

Because journalists love (mis)using fancy words, spreading controversy, causing uproars, and getting their paychecks with a heavy bonus.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

PlayStation 2 was next gen once.

The term 'next gen' currently being used when referring to consoles has arisen due to the very long lifespan of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

next gen to me means to next generation of consoles. So what people are still calling next gen is current gen and next gen is what will come after the ps4/ xbox one/ wii u 

Pfft, I've been anonoyed by it also, seeing late night advertising channels of kitchenware even use "Next Gen" kitchen appliances..

A huge Joke that is "Next Gen"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

30% more gen** 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I think of it kind of like the new coming of something (new gen of consoles, series of GPUs, new motherboard chipsets and the motherboard that go with the,, etc.), so I guess I have what might be a regarded as a stereotypical next-gen mindset.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm not so sure, "next gen" products are always super cool and amazing...

I agree OP, that buzz phrase doesn't carry much weight as far as I am concerned. Just about everything gets hyped up and advertised. If you don't mind waiting just a bit as new stuff comes out, it usually becomes clear pretty quickly what is worth spending your money on.

Seriously though, "next gen" seems to be interchangeable with "most current" quite often when it is used, whether it be gaming related or something else entirely.

This is a next gen post.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

i hate it too, but everytime a new game comes out & they hype it up like that , it gets me pumped up , But the term that really annoys me is future proofed with only high end specs.. i guess the same goes for consoles.

Details separate people.

Next gen is something that hasn't been released yet. So you should never use next gen to describe products which are on the market. This is where the media, some devs and some of the community causes confusion. So by definition PS4 is not next gen, it's current gen. It's on sale at the moment...

Anyway it's something that is relevant in the console world. Because they have sharp generational improvements. The PS4 and XboxOne were a new generation of consoles; and they are many times more powerful than their predecessors the ps3 and the 360. So they were a different generation.

In the world of PC gaming it does not make sense for us to use the term 'next gen'. Because we have evolutionary improvements which happen continuously. Rather than sudden jumps...

Next gen is something that hasn't been released yet. So you should never use next gen to describe products which are on the market. This is where the media, some devs and some of the community causes confusion. So by definition PS4 is not next gen, it's current gen. It's on sale at the moment...

Anyway it's something that is relevant in the console world. Because they have sharp generational improvements. The PS4 and XboxOne were a new generation of consoles; and they are many times more powerful than their predecessors the ps3 and the 360. So they were a different generation.

In the world of PC gaming it does not make sense for us to use the term 'next gen'. Because we have evolutionary improvements which happen continuously. Rather than sudden jumps...

Exactly - totally agree. How can something be next gen when it's in this gen?

Why

Are

You

Writing

This?

Jokes aside, "Next-Gen" is a joke. And a bad one.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014