Twitter now supports gifs...as mp4 files

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5821394/twitter-adds-gif-support

Source 2: https://twitter.com/Support/status/479307198901026816/photo/1

GIFs have finally come to Twitter. On Twitter's website as well as its iOS and Android apps, you'll be able to watch a GIF in your timeline by clicking a play button that shows up over top of them. GIFs won't animate automatically, likely to prevent you from downloading large files that you don't need. Opening up a tweet on its own will, however, immediately begin playing the GIF.

Here's an example: https://twitter.com/verge/status/479306079202209792/photo/1

I don't really use Twitter, so I can't test it for myself, but whatever. Apparently you just upload the .gif file, and then Twitter will convert it to an mp4 video. While scrolling through your Twitter feed, the gifs/mp4s won't play automatically. You'll have to manually click the play button to view them, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's probably for the best.

Unfortunately though, since the gifs are converted to mp4 files, you can't just share the gif from Twitter to another website, which is a shame. (Ya know, like embedding it in a forum and what.)

Facebook, it's your turn. Get to it.

COMIC SANS

Because just allowing the .gif is too much, must convert to .mp4. Although it may cut down on lag while using a mobile device so they don't load automatically

They're probably doing it this way so that people can't share the gif (that's stored on Twitter's servers) on other websites, which would cause Twitter to use up more bandwidth.

COMIC SANS

Facebook, it's your turn. Get to it.

They should have done .gif's instead of this stupid auto-play video shit.

How glorious, they should have done it soon. I can see why they have it converted to a MP4, but I still feel like it was a weird choice. 

c8ozets.gif

I don't use twitter so it really doesn't effect me but its still nice they've implemented this. Come on Facebook.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

How glorious, they should have done it soon. I can see why they have it converted to a MP4, but I still feel like it was a weird choice. 

I don't use twitter so it really doesn't effect me but its still nice they've implemented this. Come on Facebook.... 

Kind of off topic but shouldn't it be affect? If seen it a lot around the forums that you guys use effect when it should be affect or is that different in English and I'm just being stupid?

Because just allowing the .gif is too much, must convert to .mp4. Although it may cut down on lag while using a mobile device so they don't load automatically

They're probably doing it this way so that people can't share the gif (that's stored on Twitter's servers) on other websites, which would cause Twitter to use up more bandwidth.

It is most likely because of what GIFs are used for today. The compression that is used in .gif is suited towards a very small number of colours and a low frame rate. People are now using them for video clips at 24 FPS.

The h264 video codec (which is what they are probably using) is much, much more efficient than the LZW compression that GIF uses. It will save them so much disk space, and network capacity compared to storing and serving the GIF files. It is obviously saving them enough money that converting every GIF is worth it.

Why not .webm instead? Why convert .gif to .mp4? Why? WHY?

mp4 is the go-to container for video today.

Kind of off topic but shouldn't it be affect? If seen it a lot around the forums that you guys use effect when it should be affect or is that different in English and I'm just being stupid?

Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun. 

"That was an amazing effect."

"I have affected your ability to read the word affect correctly."

So yes, it should've been affect. Since he should have used the verb form. :P

Izaya Orihara Yes.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun. 

"That was an amazing effect."

"I have affected your ability to read the word affect correctly."

So I'm indeed correct and it should be affect?