[Amazon] 120GB Kingston SSD (USA)

Fate

Don't buy

RIP in pepperonis m8s

... Well, I should build a PC soon. Very soon. Or buy this and then become sad after a 240GB SSD drops to $70-ish.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403047233&sr=8-1&keywords=ssdnow

I usually see it around $70-80 but it's at $55 right now which I think is ridiculously cheap. I have one and I can recommend it, this is my second one that I'm ordering. 

Lol, why the hell would Amazon sell it at a base price of $194.00... sometimes Amazon has great prices, but for me they're shitty most of the time.

Plus, the V300 line sucks, anyway, because of the NAND it uses.

The MX100 line from Crucial looks very promising, only around $100 for 256GB and $200 for $512GB.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Stay far away from that ssd.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Stay far away from that ssd.

Why?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Why?

Kingston a couple of months ago secretly started to use slower NAND flash in these ssds, causing their performance to tank by a lot. But at least it will be faster than a hard drive :P

Life.exe is missing

Why?

Kingston a couple of months ago secretly started to use slower NAND flash in these ssds, causing their performance to tank by a lot. But at least it will be faster than a hard drive :P

+1 this is why, and the nand is junk and it severely reduced the life of the ssd.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

+1 this is why, and the nand is junk and it severely reduced the life of the ssd.

Thanks for telling me, I cancelled the order and I'll try to find one around the same price range. 

I tested the one on my dad's PC and it's only getting 170/130 so I guess they did scam us. Looks like I'll never be buying anything from Kingston again. 

Do you have any recommendations for a 120gb ssd around the $60-80 range?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I still wouldn't give that company any of my money.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thanks for telling me, I cancelled the order and I'll try to find one around the same price range. 

I tested the one on my dad's PC and it's only getting 170/130 so I guess they did scam us. Looks like I'll never be buying anything from Kingston again. 

Do you have any recommendations for a 120gb ssd around the $60-80 range?

only that Kingston product isn't good, there ram is great also check if your dads motherboard is sata 2 or 3. because those sound like sata 2 speeds.

i would recommenced this ssd http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=twister_B00C9UFTGO, it hasd a good cost to performance ratio.

I still wouldn't give that company any of my money.

Even its RAM?

Baaa... Baaa... Look, it needs a home...  :(

ram_stuffed_plush_fie.JPG

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Even its RAM?

Baaa... Baaa... Look, it needs a home...  :(

ram_stuffed_plush_fie.JPG

It's an ethical reason.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's an ethical reason.

What does Kingston do? Murder ducklings in front of their workers while playing Nickelback loudly 24/7 along with over-working, under-paying, harassing, and discriminating their workers? Oh, and their executives shop at Walmart and jaywalk, too I'm assuming.

What does Kingston do? Murder ducklings in front of their workers while playing Nickelback loudly 24/7 along with over-working, under-paying, harassing, and discriminating their workers? Oh, and their executives shop at Walmart and jaywalk, too I'm assuming.

When you release an item with certain specs, let it get reviewed and then drastically decrease its specs is a very deceitful business practice. Unfortunately, I'm sure most other companies are no better...but all I can say for sure, is that Kingston as actually done it--whereas anyone else is just speculation. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

When you release an item with certain specs, let it get reviewed and then drastically decrease its specs is a very deceitful business practice. Unfortunately, I'm sure most other companies are no better...but all I can say for sure, is that Kingston as actually done it--whereas anyone else is just speculation. 

Oh, that... Wasn't there a something similar with AMD and their press-release R9 290X's performing differently than the retail ones? Well, tell that to Ubisoft, PNY, and tons of other companies who promise one thing and then give you another.

Oh, that... Wasn't there a something similar with AMD and their press-release R9 290X's performing differently than the retail ones? Well, tell that to Ubisoft, PNY, and tons of other companies who promise one thing and then give you another.

Well, PNY pulled the same shit as Kingston recently, and I wouldn't buy anything from PNY either...as for AMD/ubisoft I haven't heard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, PNY pulled the same shit as Kingston recently, and I wouldn't buy anything from PNY either...as for AMD/ubisoft I haven't heard. 

Ubisoft? The whole Watch_Dogs fiasco? As for AMD, it was awhile ago and it was like about a 10 frame difference for high-end GPUs that didn't really matter since drivers, overclocking, and whatnot were able to bring them up to speed.

Ubisoft? The whole Watch_Dogs fiasco? As for AMD, it was awhile ago and it was like about a 10 frame difference for high-end GPUs that didn't really matter since drivers, overclocking, and whatnot were able to bring them up to speed.

Well, if it was just AMD saying that you can get more fps out of the card than you can, then thats not much--as all companies do that (see car company MPGs). The Watch Dogs fiasco....as in it being shit optimized for pc? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, if it was just AMD saying that you can get more fps out of the card than you can, then thats not much--as all companies do that (see car company MPGs). The Watch Dogs fiasco....as in it being shit optimized for pc? 

Well, people go up in arms whenever stuff they feel like they were promised don't happen. On AMD's side, it's because people were wild that the was a difference between the press-release and retail-release cards. On Ubisoft, it was the whole "down-grading" and lying to people. Funny enough, apparently the E3 2012 graphics are in the game files for whatever reason. 

how is it for storage that doesn't get used too much because i was thinking of getting one and putting it in a Zalman ZM-VE300 and using it as an ISO box?

how is it for storage that doesn't get used too much because i was thinking of getting one and putting it in a Zalman ZM-VE300 and using it as an ISO box?

It's probably fine if you have no morals.  :P

It's probably fine if you have no morals.  :P

wait wait wait what they do?

wait wait wait what they do?

Did you read through the thread, people mentioned it. Basically, Kingston and PNY were caught swapping stuff with their SSDs that made them slower and potentially have shorter lifespans. Still, SSDs will be faster than HDDs and are less prone to failure, anyway. Hell, people still buy Apple, Sony, and other products made by Foxconn. There's also the whole blood diamonds issue that nobody really cares about. If they did, there'd be much harsher acts to prevent them.

Kingston lost all of my trust with their bait and switch tactics surrounding their SSD's. I'll purchase anything over Kingston now unless I don't have a choice.

If anybody isn't aware, here's a review and benchmark–

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

If you're looking for a solid SSD with a great PTPR go with the EVO.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

i am on the e-mail list for Frys.com. for this weekend they have the samsung 840 evo 120g for$79. not sure its an overly amazing price but at least its a samsung.

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,