Sick and tired of "PC ports"

cluelessgenius

i just donnt get why they are developing the things for consoles and then port it to pc. didnt it used to be the other way around. that would much more sense to me since you would develop a genius looking game for pc and then degrade it so the consoles can run it. 

what your opinion on that? am i wrong? what do you think?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Indeed!

I hope IF they eventually port Destiny to PC it won't be really bad. Apparently GTA IV had a horrid PC port.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You're right, but sony and ms bribe developers to get the "best" version of the game for console so they can brag about it at e3 and convince some more people to buy them. The trend should be reversing recently though, as pc is at an all time peak and has more gamers than xbox and ps combined. Those devs won't resist much longer to the appeal of more than twice as many potential customers and will eventualy give up the nonsense and develop for pc first. Don't loose hope just yet :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The title of this thread is misleading. When I first saw it I was thinking quite literally PC ports like USB, HDMI, VGA, DVI, ect. I then would've asked the question, why are you tired of PC ports? Quite ridiculous really. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

The market wasn't large enough, and still isn't in some developers' eyes, for them to give a damn about the pc side of things. That's slowly changing but you don't go chasing where the money isn't.

Ubisoft said Watch Dogs was best played on PC. Despite better graphics, that shit was slow, buggy and almost unplayable at release. You know shit goes down when publishers lie about ports.

On the bright side, they can never port most strategy/simulation games on a console. We may have shitty ports, but there's always a ton of mods for them. Take GTA 4 for example, youtube has a lot of videos for mods for it (iron man was the best for me)

hello random lurker welcome to linus tech tips

Ubisoft said Watch Dogs was best played on PC. Despite better graphics, that shit was slow, buggy and almost unplayable at release. 

On the bright side, they can never port most strategy/simulation games on a console. 

oh thats why there are no releases of good strategy games lately , still waiting for that new C&C

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

PC is harder to develop for. It also costs more to include better graphics/animation in a game etc. Its understandable why some devs port the game to pc as an afterthought.

I agree though that it is annoying.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

oh thats why there are no releases of good strategy games lately , still waiting for that new C&C

There are plenty of good strategy games.

Total War series

Civilization

Planetary Annihilation

Star Craft 2

CnC Generals 2 (or whatever tehy changed the name too) was meant to be really bad, its shame, all they have to do is remake the original generals and it would be perfect. I still play it to this day.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

A few of the biggest games released on PC last year were a strategy games.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

There are plenty of good strategy games.

Total War series

Civilization

Planetary Annihilation

Star Craft 2

CnC Generals 2 (or whatever tehy changed the name too) was meant to be really bad, its shame, all they have to do is remake the original generals and it would be perfect. I still play it to this day.

that made me think, maybe i could make that as a project. seeing that i could just copy everything from generals and update the graphics

also im just not a big fan of civ or total war, planetary annihilation i havent heard of am definitly gonna check that out and starcraft i just never got myself to buy maybe i should chekc that out also

Its because "PC" is not really a unified platform there is nobody to throw their weight around. We need valve/origin/gog or somebody to step up the plate and give incentives for developers to make PC a dedicated platform and not just something to port their game to.

Sony and Microsoft have much tighter control and much more influence over developers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm no game developer but I don't think "port" means what you think it means. Porting it to PC after its been on console would be the same as them first porting to PC then console. The differences are PC takes a little more time to optimize for (not just turning graphic sliders down, looking at you Ubisoft) and on PC, animations and physics have to be optimized to work at different framerates and not just 30fps.

So while I agree with what you're saying, it's not that being ported to PC is the problem, it's that some developers don't give a damn about the PC market enough to make the game run properly on PC.

I'm no game developer but I don't think "port" means what you think it means. Porting it to PC after its been on console would be the same as them first porting to PC then console. The differences are PC takes a little more time to optimize for (not just turning graphic sliders down, looking at you Ubisoft) and on PC, animations and physics have to be optimized to work at different framerates and not just 30fps.

So while I agree with what you're saying, it's not that being ported to PC is the problem, it's that some developers don't give a damn about the PC market enough to make the game run properly on PC.

I guess the modern definition of a port is different, since games are made on PC and release for console (even exlusives).  A modern port is when the dev does nothing to the game in order to give it "pc" featres, like using the same textures as the console version, having little to no settings menu, locking framrates and things like that

Its frustrating just to copy past your code and not bother releasing it properly. some games dont even have mouse support! 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The fact of the matter is that consoles are just a much larger market (speaking AAA games, not indie), than pc is. Just look at Ubisofts Q4 fiscal year report. Only about 24% PC market. That is why.

Ps4 and XB1 are so good for us pc users though, since the new consoles are X86 based, contra the old consoles, being RISC based. This means that it will be so much easier for devs to port a game back and forth between pc and the new consoles, as they would more or less run equally on the CPU side. This should result in much better pc games, that are multi platform in the future.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You are right, it makes a heck of alot more sense. PC hardware is usually better than any console so doesnt it just make sense to make a full featured game and then skim it down? I'd think it would be easier for devs and a better PC game. The pc gaming world is bigger than ever, and its about time they did that.