Something That I've Been Thinking - Now Rethought!

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

So I kinda had a rethought and I've decided against the idea of getting an iMac or even building a Hackintosh. The thing is, whilst I don't hate OS X, I've been a Windows user for at least 20 odd years and thinking about it all I think buying a Mac for my main system is not really going to work. Like I said I want to get value for money and I believe this can only be achieved through building a PC of my own.

You see, whilst an iMac would be great for various things, you can just get soooo much more for your $$$$ with building your own PC. Now you might say "well you could build a Hackintosh" and to that I would say that, whilst this is true, I am really (deep down) a Windows guy and will always be a Windows guy and I don't believe that this will EVER change. I've got too many programs I use that are Windows-only programs and I don't really want to change this. I'm too use to Windows to really wanna switch to any other platform and I blame this all on Microsoft :P (JK).

I am very appreciative of all those who were willing to help me and provided me links. This forum is full of helpful people and this is great. I don't think there is any better forum than this Linus Tech Tips forum and that I truly mean. This forum is already approaching 77,000 members (minus the spammers, which probably brings this number down to more like 70,000 (just joking :P) ) and it's only going to grow better and better with even more helpful members and this is completely AWESOME!

Okay, back on topic.

So the long and the short of it all is that I'm sticking with my original build because I believe it's the smartest decision to make. I know that there would be many members on here that would agree with me. But thanks to all who were willing to help me out. You guys are awesome (if I haven't mentioned that already).

So, I put forward this question of different kind, what would you guys have done, would you have chosen to stick with the PC build or go with the iMac. I might add a poll for this if I feel like it. :D

Once again guys (I know I'm on repeat), thanks for being awesome. :D

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If you enjoy Mac OS that much, you can build a PC with Hackintosh compatibility in mind, IMO that's the best of both worlds.

iMacs are great, low power consumption, don't take much space, have a great IPS display, but you don't get as much power for a buck with them.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Go a dual boot hackintosh. best of both worlds on one machine.............

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

If you enjoy Mac OS that much, you can build a PC and then install Hackintosh on it, IMO that's the best of both worlds.

Go a dual boot hackintosh. best of both worlds on one machine.............

Yeah, but It seems that you've gotta have certain hardware that will work with OS X.

I'm not even certain that I will go with the Mac. This is just something that's been going around on repeat in my thoughts.

Yeah, but It seems that you've gotta have certain hardware that will work with OS X.

I'm not even certain that I will go with the Mac. This is just something that's been going around on repeat in my thoughts.

Yes, you would need specific hardware, but it's not hard to find. What are pros and cons of you switching to Mac in your opinion?

Not really. Easiest to do on gigabyte motherboards, any C2D, i3/5/7 is ok, and Nvidia cards are easiest to get going. Rest of it. well doesn't really matter.

Nothing is impossible...... Heck, If they can get AMD cpu based machines to run mountain lion, heck, i'm sure that they'll figure the rest out...........

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

Yes, you would need specific hardware, but it's not hard to find.

Yeah, I know Linus has said that most, if not all, Gigabyte Mobos work with OS X when he did is Hackintosh build.

What are the pros and cons of you switching to Mac in your opinion?

Hmm, that's an interesting question.

Well, probably as follows:

Pros:

• The ease of switch between desktops with just a 5 finger swipe.

• If I need to just throw something together I can just use iMovie.

• Aesthetics - This has to be a reason you can't ignore.

• You can pretty much pick up the whole iMac and store it in it's box when needing to transport it.

• Having all my stuff synced between my Apple devices.

• Fluid UI.

• Well calibrated built-in IPS display (Apple seem to be ridiculously fussy about colour accuracy which is good for me).

Cons:

• Not having certain Windows-only programs work on OS X that I use frequently - This can be solved with a VM application.

There's not too many cons that I can think of. I'll edit this post if I do think of any more.

@Maxwit44 love your profile pic, looks like one of Linus' cats. :D

@Geekazoid , Cheers, always trying and find something weird for my profile pics

Yeah, I know Linus has said that most, if not all, Gigabyte Mobos work with OS X when he did is Hackintosh build.

Hmm, that's an interesting question.

Well, probably as follows:

Pros:

• The ease of switch between desktops with just a 5 finger swipe.

• If I need to just throw something together I can just use iMovie.

• Aesthetics - This has to be a reason you can't ignore.

• You can pretty much pick up the whole iMac and store it in it's box when needing to transport it.

• Having all my stuff synced between my Apple devices.

• Fluid UI.

• Well calibrated built-in IPS display (Apple seem to be ridiculously fussy about colour accuracy which is good for me).

Cons:

• Not having certain Windows-only programs work on OS X that I use frequently - This can be solved with a VM application.

There's not too many cons that I can think of. I'll edit this post if I do think of any more.

Well, if you think you will have enough power in iMac you're going to buy - get it, grab a copy of Parallels and you're good to go.

@Geekazoid , Cheers, always trying and find something weird for my profile pics

Ha nice!

That leads me to a question, do you have a pet cat or dog?

Cat, 2 dogs. My animals don't do anything note worthy of a photo.

Not completely impossible to run a dual boot mac. The hardware is out there and if you follow it acurately it will be the best of both worlds. I would recommend it the most tbh. Can you run osx of a virtual machine. If so that could work I suppose.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Well, if you think you will have enough power in iMac you're going to buy - get it, grab a copy of Parallels and you're good to go.

Well I think I would have enough power compared to my current PC. But who knows, I may just end up going with the PC build. It totally depends on what I decide when I can finally make the purchase. Windows 8.1 is a pretty nice OS. The best version of Windows that Microsoft has done.

Windows 8.1 is a pretty nice OS. The best version of Windows that Microsoft has done.

Ikr, I don't understand people who genuinely hate it.

You can use http://www.tonymacx86.com/436-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-june-2014.html to look at some hackintosh builds and how-to's, it's not that hard to do actually and you can use Chameleon to boot into either Windows or OS X. It costs a lot less then buying a mac specific computer and you have the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the link mate!

Ikr, I don't understand people who genuinely hate it.

They probably haven't really used it. They probably just hate it because other people hate it. But I personally believe that you can't hate something that you haven't used or tried yet.

@Geekazoid

There are some great guides at Insanelymac.com, as well as a great community over there. Really helpful. ProjectOSX / OSXproject may do as well, but I haven't dropped over there in a long time.

Most of the kexts and driver images you need can be found at OSX86.net and insanelymac. If you need help, I'm willing to help out if I can.

@Geekazoid

There are some great guides at Insanelymac.com, as well as a great community over there. Really helpful. ProjectOSX / OSXproject may do as well, but I haven't dropped over there in a long time.

Most of the kexts and driver images you need can be found at OSX86.net and insanelymac. If you need help, I'm willing to help out if I can.

Thanks mate! Your willingness to help is fantastic but things have changed. Just take a peak at my first post on this thread of mine.

Most Gigabyte Motherboards will work, as far as i know. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

@Geekazoid

Your proposed build in the sig line?

If so, looks pretty solid to me. Ther are a couple of things I would change.

Ram - If you doing alot of video editing you may want to double that.

H75 cooler. pending on where you live in theis great southern land, and wheter or not your got AC in your place, I would go with atleast a H80i or the H100i.

SSD - I've got the same SSD in my rig. I wished i splashed a little more cash at this, It fills up rather quickly. I have only my most critical stuff on there.

HDD - Unless your planning to add a few more down the track, I'd atleast go for a 2TB with the kind of work you've listed before.

I've got four x 1tb drives, and there pretty much full. I bought mine when 2tb just come out, and where stupidly expensive. I'm seroiusly looking at a massive upgrade so that I've got 4 x 4tb drives in all three of my PCs at home except my HTPC (1xSSD, 2 x 4tb drives, 1 x Bluray optical). This may sound like overkill, but I'm trying to get into onboard RC aircraft filming. Not the FPV stuff, I cant do that, makes me feel really ill.

That being said, even with my crappy little 720p camera, I have hours of video that takes up alot of room. Hence the current config. I'm guessing you do alot more than I do, so I guess you'll need the room.

See how far you can strecth that budjet or do couple more upgrades after the build. Good luck with it!

@Geekazoid

Your proposed build in the sig line?

If so, looks pretty solid to me. Ther are a couple of things I would change.

Ram - If you doing alot of video editing you may want to double that.

H75 cooler. pending on where you live in theis great southern land, and wheter or not your got AC in your place, I would go with atleast a H80i or the H100i.

SSD - I've got the same SSD in my rig. I wished i splashed a little more cash at this, It fills up rather quickly. I have only my most critical stuff on there.

HDD - Unless your planning to add a few more down the track, I'd atleast go for a 2TB with the kind of work you've listed before.

I've got four x 1tb drives, and there pretty much full. I bought mine when 2tb just come out, and where stupidly expensive. I'm seroiusly looking at a massive upgrade so that I've got 4 x 4tb drives in all three of my PCs at home except my HTPC (1xSSD, 2 x 4tb drives, 1 x Bluray optical). This may sound like overkill, but I'm trying to get into onboard RC aircraft filming. Not the FPV stuff, I cant do that, makes me feel really ill.

That being said, even with my crappy little 720p camera, I have hours of video that takes up alot of room. Hence the current config. I'm guessing you do alot more than I do, so I guess you'll need the room.

See how far you can strecth that budjet or do couple more upgrades after the build. Good luck with it!

Thanks for your suggestions. I increased my budget and added the 250GB version of that SSD and swapped out the 1TB HDD for the 2TB version plus changed the Corsair H75 to the H100i and last but not least swapped out the 8GB of RAM for 16GB. This now makes my build exactly AU$3,000 of which I had initially planned to spend. It does make more sense to go with the build you really need or will need. This should mean no upgrades for quite some time. :D

Edited by Geekazoid

@Maxwit44 going with your suggestions is definitely a good idea (as indicated above). Having 16GB of RAM means that I can allocate up to 8GB of it in Sony Vegas to build longer previews of my projects.

Thanks for your suggestions. I increased my budget and added the 250GB version of that SSD and swapped out the 1TB HDD for the 2TB version plus changed the Corsair H75 to the H100i and last but not least swapped out the 8GB of RAM for 16GB. This now makes my build exactly AU$3,000 of which I had initially planned to spend. It does make more sense to go with the build you really need or will need. This should mean no upgrades for quite some time. :D

Smart move, that extra ram will help you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I don't know how I did without my lot.

Anyway good luck with the build.