Tech turning you "Sour"

phillrulz

Long story short do you guys get "used" for your tech knowledge, fixed 15+ laptops ~5 desktops which arnt mine, no money charged or even offered, but it just annoys me when people are so tech dumb, i had a friend bring me a laptop with ransomware wondering why he had got it he never had antivirus.EVER the Norton free install was removed and everything. My parents ask me to authenticate websites... all i do is google and check the certificate if its HTTPS. I like helping however some of the fixes are so simple its stupid, one person couldn't even install a piece of software, nothing hard just bog standard click to continue blah blah.

Will my generation be the last which hasn't fully embarrassed tech?

Im only born in 1996 my generation should have been the first in which everyone is knowledgeable in tech.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

People try, I help people I like or people who pay me.

Im not too much of a social outcast however i just cant say no.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

The solution is simple, either don't fix things for free or tell them that if they don't learn how to use a PC properly to avoid issues then you won't fix it again. That's what I do.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I don't bother helping anyone cause they never god damn listen!

Note, I'll only help people on here, they stand an outside chance of listening :)

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

The solution is simple, either don't fix things for free or tell them that if they don't learn how to use a PC properly to avoid issues then you won't fix it again. That's what I do.

TBH the problem is with the internet there is very few problems that havent been encounter and someone hasnt done a post or fix for

Yup.

And on a side note. If anyone that wants my help uses the word "App" for an application on a pc. I won't help them.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I don't bother helping anyone cause they never god damn listen!

i have a friend that would rather have an i7 and a 770 than a i5 and a 780 or 780ti cos come on guys everything is about the processor ....... inb4 asking resolution that he will game at  etc inb4 780/780ti overkill for 1080p etc etc

Yup.

And on a side note. If anyone that wants my help uses the word "App" for an application on a pc. I won't help them.

Worst thing imo is when they ask how you fixed it to try say thanks and they blurt out random shit " ah yes the cpu was offline" or some shit

i have a friend that would rather have an i7 and a 770 than a i5 and a 780 or 780ti cos come on guys everything is about the processor ....... inb4 asking resolution that he will game at  etc inb4 780/780ti overkill for 1080p etc etc

Because obviously a computer can't make pretty screen pictures without an i7! Who cares about this nonsense extra card anyway?

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

The thing I hate most, is that my Mum will be on her iPhone, and then ask me to google something -.-

Plus she uses Yahoo to search, *facepalm*

Yup.

App is just short for application what's the big deal?

Worst thing imo is when they ask how you fixed it to try say thanks and they blurt out random shit " ah yes the cpu was offline" or some shit

lol...

There should be a non tech savvy clothing line with silly phrases like that. :D

App is just short for application what's the big deal?

It just feels so lazy. And my mind associates app with phones and application with computers. Somehow it makes my skin crawl.

Maybe it's because im not used to it.. I only started hearing people using the word app for applications on pc instead of phones about a year ago.

And besides. this is sweden. Most people call applications "program" And that's what's been used most of my life.

Then there is another can of worms that slightly opened on a side note.

My danish relatives call consoles "computer" 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It just feels so lazy. And my mind associates app with phones and application with computers. Somehow it makes my skin crawl.

Maybe it's because im not used to it.. I only started hearing people using the word app for applications on pc instead of phones about a year ago.

And besides. this is sweden. Most people call applications "program" And that's what's been used most of my life.

Then there is another can of worms that slightly opened on a side note.

My danish relatives call consoles "computer" 

I also called programs 'programs' and not applications or apps.

With a Degree in IT, Years in computer repair and now Client Services for a software company - Yes.

But I've handled it so now people will expect an email back when I have a chance, and if I have to come to their house or them bring a computer for me, I WILL charge them for it. It's like anything else. I could be doing more actual work (im on salary so, I have no set hours to work), so, I'm charging you money.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I fix things for people I know for free, for the experience and just to help. People I don't know, I charge. Last week someone payed me $30 to clean up some adware. Best $30 I've made.

My problem is I care more about Technology than I do about people. If there ever was a computer rights group where we try to stop people from abusing their computers, I'd be the damn president. Sometimes I literally start choking and have to hold back tears when I see the things people do. Sometimes I hate giving people computers because I know they're going to treat it badly. And don't get me started about busted phones...I just wanna cradle them and go "Hang on buddy...Everything will be ok..I promise...I've got you now, don't be scared...Everything will be ok" (One silent tear slips out.)