SSD or Mechanical KB?

S

S

D

Nuff said. And get the 240, it will soon get full, I promise.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

SSD will make your computing experience soooo much better. Get the SSD, seriously. 

It will probably make Windows much snappier am i right?

My computer tends to hang allot and I'm guessing its my HDD because I have 8GB DDR3 and a i5...

EVGA GTX760 Superclocked (ACX) - i5 4570 - 8GB DDR3 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - Corsair CX500 - NZXT Source 210(Black)  - 1x 120mm - Valley Bench http://imgur.com/J4EJnvV

It will probably make Windows much snappier am i right?

My computer tends to hang allot and I'm guessing its my HDD because I have 8GB DDR3 and a i5...

yes. 

S

S

D

Nuff said. And get the 240, it will soon get full, I promise.

The problem is that 240 isn't really all that much better... 

Sure, you can put more stuff on it, but you still can't put everything on it. 

If you're purpose is gaming then theres no reason for anything more than 64gb, if you do editing than you want an ssd with enough space for windows and the editing program. But most programs (games/editing excluded) aren't that large. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah I was planning on getting just that but I might go with the K65 on NewEgg because its the same price and I think I like it better.

maybe, i trust coolermaster they are fairly solid but the k65 is good to i think

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Yeah I was planning on getting just that but I might go with the K65 on NewEgg because its the same price and I think I like it better.

maybe, i trust coolermaster they are fairly solid but the k65 is good to i think

I was comparing the two, and they're pretty much the same....The main difference is that one has media keys and is larger and the other does not. I rarely use my media keys anyway, so I'd rather take the smaller of the two--which the cooler master happens to be. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The SSD I mentioned is 69$ at NewEgg right now and its the cheapest 120gb...

Canada btw..

an ssd won't affect you in-game, but it makes the whole computer snappier to use. 

it does affect load times and in games like skyrim then its a plus

100$ sounds fair but I don't really need a 240GB SSD when I can get a 120GB for 69$ and still get a nice KB.

Thanks anyway though

min you will want a 120 bearing in mind you dont get 120. on my samsung evo i get 111 and then you have to take off another 10-15%, if you fill a ssd the performance drops off a cliff it may even be 20% from my own experiance i would go for a 240gb games are getting huge and the fast reads will help 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

If you go SSD don't get a 60GB unless you're careful with how much stuff you put on it.

Never used a mechanical keyboard so can't comment on that, my thoughts are that for gaming it won't matter as who needs tactile feedback that much in FPS's?

SSD first

Mechanical Keyboard second.

Both to me are something I will never do without. But I would say your first SSD should take priority.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Go for the SSD, mech keyboards are nice but really not a massive improvement in my opinion, it take a little while to get used to not bottoming out the keys anyway. 

Have you used a mech keyboard at any point?

SSD is a really big performance boost over a Keyboard get that first.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Mechanical Keyboard all the way.

SSD no in game performance difference and way to small anyways.

Wait till SSD come down in price later this year.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Once you go SSD, you will never go back to HDD.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Like I said I only want to spend 110$ and I would only use the SSD to put Windows 8 and BF4...

Then get a Crucial M500 or Adata SP600. The 240GB versions of those drives are around $109.

an ssd won't affect you in-game, but it makes the whole computer snappier to use. 

Yes, an SSD shortens loading times.

Take an ssd first, a fast OS is really something that a real gamer needs :D

But i would not take a PNY, personally i prefer an intel, samsung or crucial ssd.

And for the mechanical, take a look at a ducky, Slick will definatly recommend it :D and they have one of the best keyboards out there, but they come with a price to match.

Nothing wrong with PNY at its current price point. It's still sandforce, and last time I checked, a reviewer found that the XLR8 SSD has 25nm IMFT I think, so that puts it on par with Crucial and Intel drives (IMFT is a joint venture by Micron and Intel). Not quite sure, but I'll check.

Except for the super fast performance that Samsung offers in exchange for write endurance, all SSDs are more or less the same to most users (don't quote me on this, Anandtech had a article just to explain the differences in NAND quality between different drives). So while everyone is complaining about V300 drives having low quality NAND, it really makes no difference to most users.

I'd just settle for a Corsair K65 or K70; if you're feeling super cheap then get a CM Quickfire, if you're feeling up to it budget-wise get a ducky. I hear DasKeyboard makes good stuff as well.

But could a old HDD be causing stutter is what I'm asking?

Not unless it's a terribad drive from >4 years ago, probably not. An SSD will solve most your problems anyway.